Monte Carlo or Bust 2009?

parky1774

I am looking at planning a trip for 2009, the wife and I are going on a riding holiday. This will be her first so I am open to ideas.

Prov date: 15 July 2009

The idea: about a 7 - 10 day trip. So as to give us a good frist few days the first day will be to a stop over at Dover then an early ferry and off, or Chunnel from London and then Motorway down to Limoges. TBC

Day 2. to Narbonne through the Mid Pyrenees.

Day 3. to Monte Carlo via Marseille with a days break to sight see etc. :beerjug::beer:

Day 5. To Briancon only about 149ish miles but Mountainous so lots of scope for stops and hopefully not too hard a day.

Day 6 onto St Martin Du Mont 152ish miles again a mountainous day.

Day 6 Chalon-sur-Saone,

Day 7 Reims and Day 8 back via chunnel to London and home.

This only 8 days so there is scope to extend.

Any and all ideas welcome, if you know of somewhere to stay in any of the locations or nearby, or any 'can't be missed' POI's enroute.

OR if someone else is planning something similar would you mind if we tagged along?

All help appreciated. :thumb2

Parky.

No.1 Guest House at Dover has secure parking.

:thumb2

http://www.number1guesthouse.co.uk/about.htm

-0130Small-1.jpg

I am looking at planning a trip for 2009, the wife and I are going on a riding holiday. This will be her first so I am open to ideas.

Just a small point: I don't know how experienced your wife is as a pillion but if you want her to do it again I'd keep the mileage down and the quality of the B&B's / restaurants up ;)

I took Mrs. Mutley to California and we toured on an Electra Glide. Most days we only covered 150 miles. We stopped regularly and we had nice lunches and evening meals. She says she'd do it again but not every year :beerjug:

Iimho i would revisit days 5/6 they may only be 150 ish miles but if you are following the grand route they will be longish days if you want to take in the views.

Prov date: 15 July 2009

The idea: about a 7 - 10 day trip. So as to give us a good frist few days the first day will be to a stop over at Dover then an early ferry and off, or Chunnel from London

Parky.

dont bother with dover, to expensive get an earlier crossing and stay at Coquelles.the money you save on digs spend on a nice meal (plus theres a nice shopping mall within walking distance). it makes a nice start to the holliday and keeps swmbo sweet. it will pay off in the long run.

Hman

Chunnel from London

Day 8 back via chunnel to London and home.

Don't want to sound like a pedant but the Chunnel goes from Ashford in Kent (about and hour and a quarter from the M25) and not London.

London is for foot passengers (as is Ebbsfleet now), traffic from Ashford.

Day Six St Martin Du Mont knocked on head as already have one day six on the plan. Doh.:blast

Wifes idea re the chunnel from London, she didn't know it was only foot passengers. She loves the bike (K1200S) and who wouldn't, but we have not done any long distances on it yet. Limoges was chosen as we have been there before and it was by the four wheeled fully enclosed bike (car) so she is aware of the distance involved in that one. I am trying to keep the other days shorter so we can take our time. From her point of view there must be nothing worse than staring at the back of someones helmet for hours on end. Will next map it on Autoroute to get an idea of exact distances - hotel dependant of course.

Thanks for the feedback. :clap

Any more comments very welcome.

Parky.

dont bother with dover, to expensive get an earlier crossing and stay at Coquelles.the money you save on digs spend on a nice meal (plus theres a nice shopping mall within walking distance). it makes a nice start to the holliday and keeps swmbo sweet. it will pay off in the long run.

Hman

Got to agree with that - stay at Wisques (Wapping has posted all the detail on another thread).

Give me a shout for a beer when you reach Monte Carlo.:beer:

Back
Top Bottom