Engine Problem on my Funduro, can you help???

thg_4655

hello! thanks for taking the time to look at my post i could really do with your help.

The problem:

I have a L reg (94) F650 Funduro. It has done 61000 miles and is an excellent bike. Unfortunately it refused to start the other day.

Symptoms:
the starter motor kicks in and tries to start but it doesn't. The starting sounds exactly like it should do when the engine is running fine, but it just doesn't start. The is a very small amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when it tries to start.

I definately have petrol in it, the fuel tap it on, I'm trying to start it on level ground.

If anyone has any other ideas I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Tom

PS

hello! thanks for taking the time to look at my post i could really do with your help.

The problem:

I have a L reg (94) F650 Funduro. It has done 61000 miles and is an excellent bike. Unfortunately it refused to start the other day.

Symptoms:
the starter motor kicks in and tries to start but it doesn't. The starting sounds exactly like it should do when the engine is running fine, but it just doesn't start. The is a very small amount of black smoke coming out of the exhaust when it tries to start.

I definately have petrol in it, the fuel tap it on, I'm trying to start it on level ground.

If anyone has any other ideas I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Tom

PS

I imagine the first thing you should do, is pull the spark plug out...after trying to start the engine...

This will let you:

A) Smell whether or not there's any fuel getting to the cylinder.

B) Check the condition of the plug...and you can test for a spark, by re-connecting it to the lead, holding it close to the engine (without actually touching it), and press the starter button as if starting the engine...let it turn over a few times...if you see a spark jump from the plug to the engine, then the ignition should be ok...

It's really a question of narrowing it down, by elimination...it's usually either fuel or electrical problem

But the forum would need some more info to give you a better idea...

Do you know anyone who knows about motors who could have a look?

mine does this, try starting it without the choke, the choke is very strong on these, i rarely use it in the summer, clean the plug(s) too if they are sooted up

mine does this, try starting it without the choke, the choke is very strong on these, i rarely use it in the summer, clean the plug(s) too if they are sooted up

Did you manage to start it yet?

Back
Top Bottom