Trip update

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Just a quick note as i`ve found an internet connection!! I`ll post a ride report when I get back but I thought I`d post a quick update.

In Arkansas and done a few days on the TAT trail which is pretty tough. Hurricane Fay hasn`t helped because it`s been very wet but hell, 90 degrees soon dries it up.

Bike is running great but had a lot of damage when I collected it. The muppets at Baltimore managed to drop it as they took it off the ship. The guy riding it was doing around 35 mph across the port when he binned it:eek:. The guys still in hospital with no skin on his arms and legs,,,serves the fecker right. Lot`s of cosmetic damage on the left hand side but it`s OK and rideable. Verns panniers took the brunt of the impact and I`m sure saved the bike from being totalled. The guys in the port can`t believe I rode it away!! I had to rebuild the front end up by the clocks and straighten a l;ot of stuff but it`s OK. ABS lights are flashing and I can`t stop them so there may be a problem there but I`ve taped over them because the brakes feel fine:augie. Guess the GS is the strongest thing out there and there will be a big claim going in:D

Off toward the the massive expanse of Oklahoma before getting to the Rockies next week!!

See y`all later

Bike is running great but had a lot of damage when I collected it. The muppets at Baltimore managed to drop it as they took it off the ship. The guy riding it was doing around 35 mph across the port when he binned it:eek:. The guys still in hospital with no skin on his arms and legs,,,serves the fecker right. Lot`s of cosmetic damage on the left hand side but it`s OK and rideable. Verns panniers took the brunt of the impact and I`m sure saved the bike from being totalled.

:spitfire b*stards :anger: :redlight :wife :forry :eh :shoot:

I don't think I'd have been so understanding :mcgun

Ride safe matey and get those brakes fixed soon :thumb2

It was a union guy who took the bike off and he wasn`t qualified to ride it but the unions still hold sway in the ports. The foreman wanted to take it off but a union rep was araound so he couldn`t risk it. Feckin nuts but there we go. I`m sure when the claim is settled it will make up for the inconvenience:augie

In the middle of Oklahoma and it`s 104 degrees....!! Did 220 miles on gravel today more or less in a straight line. Think the fire tracks through the Snowdon area for mile after mile and in the sun. Bit dull for the most part but livened up by the appearance of deep soft sand........I now know I can pick the bike up all on my own:augie One or two of you know my lack of prowess on dirt but I`m getting better:D

There is nothing here apart from dust and wind and a few abandoned houses. If you`ve read Grapes of Wrath or seen the movie you`ll get my drift.

Anolther 2 days on this stuff then up to the Rockies where it will be cooler and better riding:thumb

Jiust off for a cold one and big juicy steak:beerjug:

It was a union guy who took the bike off and he wasn`t qualified to ride it but the unions still hold sway in the ports. The foreman wanted to take it off but a union rep was araound so he couldn`t risk it. Feckin nuts but there we go. I`m sure when the claim is settled it will make up for the inconvenience:augie

In the middle of Oklahoma and it`s 104 degrees....!! Did 220 miles on gravel today more or less in a straight line. Think the fire tracks through the Snowdon area for mile after mile and in the sun. Bit dull for the most part but livened up by the appearance of deep soft sand........I now know I can pick the bike up all on my own:augie One or two of you know my lack of prowess on dirt but I`m getting better:D

There is nothing here apart from dust and wind and a few abandoned houses. If you`ve read Grapes of Wrath or seen the movie you`ll get my drift.

Anolther 2 days on this stuff then up to the Rockies where it will be cooler and better riding:thumb

Jiust off for a cold one and big juicy steak:beerjug:

Have fun, sounds good, bad news about the bike, but in the US it'll all work out.... Liability and all that...

Sounds like you're having an awesome time Sarge, despite the feckers at the port :spitfire

Looking forward to seeing the pics over a beer when you get back :beerjug:

Found another connection:D

All`s good and justr got to Seattle after 4 days in Canada. Parfect GS country. Had a couple of minor issue`s with the bike but it`s still hanging together....just. 2 day ride down to San Francisco then it`s back home on thursday:(

What a trip......:thumb

Will be home on friday and put a ride report together with pics.

Running late due to the muppets who overbooked my flight last night from Calgary. However, the very nice people at Air Canada flew me to Toronto on the red eye and will now fly to Heathrow tonight at the pointy end of the plane in big leather seats which fold flat whilst being plied with champagne and lovely things to eat. Also, I`m enjoying the delights of the executive lounge in Toronto which is little more than I would expect given my understanding and patience :D

The bike made it round the trip but was rather like one of those clown cars when I got to San Fran i.e it started to fall apart. I guess 5 weeks out here, 2000 miles on dirt, 5700 on tarmac, big crash to start with, little crashes along the way, dodgy HT leads and no back brake for 2 weeks didn`t help. She`s currently enjoying a well earned rest in the California sunshine before Alaska next year.

Brilliant bike and i`m really not sure that many others would stand the crap she`s had on this trip that`s for sure.

See y`all soon:thumb

Will be home on friday and put a ride report together with pics.

Running late due to the muppets who overbooked my flight last night from Calgary. However, the very nice people at Air Canada flew me to Toronto on the red eye and will now fly to Heathrow tonight at the pointy end of the plane in big leather seats which fold flat whilst being plied with champagne and lovely things to eat. Also, I`m enjoying the delights of the executive lounge in Toronto which is little more than I would expect given my understanding and patience :D

The bike made it round the trip but was rather like one of those clown cars when I got to San Fran i.e it started to fall apart. I guess 5 weeks out here, 2000 miles on dirt, 5700 on tarmac, big crash to start with, little crashes along the way, dodgy HT leads and no back brake for 2 weeks didn`t help. She`s currently enjoying a well earned rest in the California sunshine before Alaska next year.

Brilliant bike and i`m really not sure that many others would stand the crap she`s had on this trip that`s for sure.

See y`all soon:thumb

Sounds like you had a proper adventure chap :clap Glad you made it in one piece.

Looking forward to a beer and photos when you get back :beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom