When do the passes close?

Commuter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Will be in Dolomites (Slovenia entrance) through to the Alps on the weekend of 13th September.

Anyone know how likely the high passes are to be open, I understand it depends on weather, but any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Michelin maps have the dates of opening & closing printed on most of the cols. these are not gospel but give a good idea.
:thumb

You should be ok in Mid September. Most passes (in France but I guess it's the same elsewhere) close in October. You could be unlucky with the weather though.

I did a trip mid to late Oct in 2005 & they were all still open - snow at the top of the Stelvio, but not on the road & all clear.

AlpineRoads.Com is where you want to be looking, it has up to date info :thumb

When it snows.

HTH. ;)

This answer is pretty much true. The Stelvio was closed on many days this Summer including in July/August after very heavy snowfalls that melted within 24 hours. In September it will melt slower, but on the whole if you have good enough weather September is a very good time to do the Alps. The light/Sun is lower and the roads are less busy. The winter snows and road repairs were completed in June and most passes will be open.

Watch the weather very closely and be prepared to divert.

:cool:

Michelin maps have the dates of opening & closing printed on most of the cols. these are not gospel but give a good idea.
:thumb

Was in Waterstones today looking for a specific Michelin map for the south east corner of Germany. The guy looked up his system and said that the last print run of that map was 5 years ago. He then went on to say that they would no longer stock these detailed maps. A Michelin rep had told him that with the growth of GPS, there just wasn't the demand for maps to justify reprints. And there was me thinking I was I might just manage through life without a Zumo....:blast

Was in Waterstones today looking for a specific Michelin map for the south east corner of Germany. The guy looked up his system and said that the last print run of that map was 5 years ago. He then went on to say that they would no longer stock these detailed maps. A Michelin rep had told him that with the growth of GPS, there just wasn't the demand for maps to justify reprints.........

That's bad news, bad news indeed.

Good

Leaving in a few hours from Antalya, have 4000 kilometers ahead of me.....can't wait.

:D:thumb

Have to work in Zurich in mid November and was thinking of riding rather than flying there, am I nuts?

yes but flying GSA as opposed to BA is meant to be more exciting

Have to work in Zurich in mid November and was thinking of riding rather than flying there, am I nuts?

Having just done the drive ( I moved back here at the w/e) it's a really, really dull drive. And I have to do the reserve journey next wednesday to take my UK company car back.

Exit Tunnel to Zurich is around 8 hours if you peage it ! I've done it on a bike in April in really shit weather and I'm not sure if I have ever been as pissed off in all my life !!

November could be ok or grim. What is you kit like?
As Arsey says - it's all low level to Zurich ( which is around 400m above sea level).

not so lucky

Arrived in Bled, SLO last night in terrible rain, looks like I might be unlucky, but will be trying a few passes today.

1600miles in 2 days so far, not far to home now!

Back
Top Bottom