tom tom rider european maps

can european maps be loaded into tom tom rider
Yes - I've got a set of full European - including eastern Europe, all on one 2GB SD card, if anyone wants them - no use to me now, as I'll be selling my original TOT TOM Rider for spares or repair - soon! ps, Also have spare mk 2 mount (they all break eventually!) + the proper job; Touratech gradle for the tom tom :_)

do you want to sell the touratech mount then??
cant pm you

harry 3014 fire at yahoo dot co dot uk( no spaces in the name)

cheers

harrry

Can't pm 'coz you're a cheapskate non-subscriber like me. But you can always load maps (up to date ones that don't place you in the middle of nowhere because you're on a new bypass) off the Tomtom website. And it can be difficult to code someone else's maps for your device.
try loading Tomtom Home to make it easy.

I got my TTR2 at christmas and assumed the euro maps were up to date. They weren't, and on my recent trip to southern spain my TTR2 spent a large part of the holiday with a blank screen advising me to get back on a road.

It all worked out in the end and no harm done. Fortunately I remembered how to use them folded paper satnav things (maps).

My advice is - if you've bought yourself a euro satnav for your (long anticipated) biketrip abroad - update your maps out before you go. Otherwise, whats the point of having it ? :rob

european maps sd card

had euro maps in car tom tom, sd card downloaded to computer and loaded onto 2gb card[99p] and works great, is it this simple

All new TomTom's come with a latest map guarantee.

Unfortunatly some e/retailers can have the stock in their warehouse for some time, so all TomToms have a guarantee that the include map is up to date so the consumer doesnt suffer.

There is a function in HOME (the free software to update you TomTom on your PC) in the tools menu to use the latest map guarantee that you can all try. Its limited to the first 30 days of using all devices but means you should never have a out of date map when you buy your unit! :thumb2

i_satan: Was your Rider new, or was it a unit that somebody has upgraded the map on? Spain has a high level of coverage and has for some time so I would think there is a chance you might have been using major roads only???

My Rider v1 has major roads only (NavTeq) as I got the unit with UK mapping and upgraded with a CD-ROM to the latest maps before I went on holiday, even major roads only has nearly all the routes I used in Scandinavia. Obviously since then TomTom has stopped doing major roads and now if you buy Europe you get their full level of coverage through TeleAtlas mapping. The mapping for Europe I used last year through Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Italy and Western Europe was simply incredible!!!

had euro maps in car tom tom, sd card downloaded to computer and loaded onto 2gb card[99p] and works great, is it this simple

I've tried this from my tt one european in the car machine and I cant get the fecker to work, used a 4 GB card cos I had one lying around and just get a no maps found message. :blast

TT does not support SDHC in general, therefore probs with 4GB are expected. Had 4GB in my TT Rider II with same behavior, was from Transcend (cheap). But now is working fine with another brand even with 4 GB. Therefore some cards are accepted.
Downloaded new map via TT Home with an update guarantee within 30 days after buying (at least in Germany possible). Works also fine.

Oliver

TT does not support SDHC in general, therefore probs with 4GB are expected. Had 4GB in my TT Rider II with same behavior, was from Transcend (cheap). But now is working fine with another brand even with 4 GB. Therefore some cards are accepted.
Downloaded new map via TT Home with an update guarantee within 30 days after buying (at least in Germany possible). Works also fine.

Oliver

I had a capacity issue with the original TT Rider 2 WE card (1Gb) ... tried a Kingston 2Gb ... but the device couldn't find the maps (!) ... too-ing-and-fro-ing with TT support was fruitless ...

Anyhow I tried a Kingston 4Gb SDHC card I had kicking around, and hey presto! Everything seems to be working, even though TT don't say the device is compatible with the SDHC format.

I had a capacity issue with the original TT Rider 2 WE card (1Gb) ... tried a Kingston 2Gb ... but the device couldn't find the maps (!) ... too-ing-and-fro-ing with TT support was fruitless ...

Anyhow I tried a Kingston 4Gb SDHC card I had kicking around, and hey presto! Everything seems to be working, even though TT don't say the device is compatible with the SDHC format.

I honestly don't think that TT have a Scooby about how their Navs work....I bought a 2 gig SDHC card , copied the maps , plugged it in and Bingo !!

Has anyone managed to get a 4GB SDHC card working ? I was looking at eBay and found a 4GB SanDisk Ultra II for a tenner....

Hi Chris,

my rider II is working with a 4GB card from HAMA. As written above I had some trouble with other brands. To your question. I found in a german board the note:

"Bei mir läuft die SanDisk Ultra II 4GB SDHC class 4 (mit MicroMate reader) erfolgreich mit dem Rider 2nd Edition (FW 7.540)."
( http://www.meintomtom.de/forum/index.php?showtopic=25322 )

Which means similar that the mentioned card is working successful under the condition of used rider II with the firmware FW 7.540 and the card has the MicroMate reader included, whatever this means.

greets
Oliver

As I said in an earlier post, I have a Kingston 4Gb SDHC card in my TT Rider 2 WE ... I've done a couple of trips with it now and it seems to work just fine.

I've used a USB SDHC card reader to transfer manage the files.

As I said in an earlier post, I have a Kingston 4Gb SDHC card in my TT Rider 2 WE ... I've done a couple of trips with it now and it seems to work just fine.

I've used a USB SDHC card reader to transfer manage the files.

Got the Kingston 4GB yesterday and stumbled at first block as my SD card read wouldnt read it on my main pc or in my Sony laptop either............however - I thought I'd stick it in the Rider2 and connect USB lead.....HEY PRESTO - it recognises it on the PC now and have copied it all across with no problems - hurrah !

Here's the link to an eBay seller if needed:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=300285543849

(not connected with them)

(Should explain that I've changed my username from ChrisDolphin to Flipper_Man BTW :) )

SDHC cards are supported under not so recent software updates.

If your struggling with a particular SD card try making a backup of your TomTom on your PC, closely followed by updating the TomTom using the "Update my [Insert name of your TomTom here]" button.

More SD Cards will be supported if you currently have a old NavCore.

I have discovered that TomTom Home doesn't recognise the maps I have installed on the SDHC card (Show contents of my device).

I wonder if this is something to do with the amount of memory that the software (TT Home) is able to address rather than the format of the card itself (which seems to work just fine on the device itself).

SDHC cards are supported under not so recent software updates.

I'm running TT Home 2.6.2.264, which is up-to-date as far as I know. I have noticed that Home is likely to quit since I have had the card installed, and today I got a Mac OS kernel panic as Home quit - which I haven't seen for over four years.

To answer Mr Tomtom-GS-Rider - My TTR2 was new when bought (Dec 97) but wasn't used in anger for 6 months. The map update in HOME didn't work for me. I tried it in summer 08. It said I had an incompatible device. I contacted TT about the fact my maps weren't that up to date. They listened but were not very sympathetic. They were however very happy to sell me a new map set.

Back
Top Bottom