Romantic Road, Bavaria

Hillhound

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A trip to Germany in May is on the cards and one of the group has suggested the Romantic Road as a route.

Has anyone done it recently. What are the roads and traffic like. Any other information gratefuly received.

It's been a while since I travelled on it and then it was by car.
I can, however, recommend the Markusturm Hotel in Rothenburg . It used to be a really nice hotel and I would presume it still is... not particularly cheap though, but very comfortable, cosy, wood panneled rooms and a good restaurant.
Rothenburg itself is I guess the most popular of the towns on the route and it can get very busy with coach parties and the like.. lots of Japanese when I was last there... but a gem of a town.

Be warned that if you decide to take a stretch of autobahn between Garmisch and Munich - the locals call it the 'Porsche test bahn'. It's an unlimited speed limit section of long straight good tarmac and if you venture into the outside lane be very sure you are going fast enough to get back in because they fly down this road at breathtaking speeds. The GS is well out of it's league on this road and speeds of 250kmh plus are not at all uncommon.
Things appear in your mirrors before you even see them coming - very scarey :yikes :yikes
Be careful if you venture onto the 'Porsche test bahn'.....

I've put together a 7 day tour which includes this road, 6 of us (5 bikes) are leaving Newcastle on the 28th May, ferry across to Holland, then a quick dash down the motorway to Rothenburg for the Saturday night. We then follow the 'Romantic Road' down to Garmisch for a night and then on into Austria and follow part of the 'Classic Bike Tour' staying overnight in Lienz, then back up to Fussen, again using the 'Classic Tour' roads where possible. After Fussen it's up to Freiburg for a night and then up to near the 'Ring' where we stay in a castle on the Rhine. Unfortunatley the 'Ring' is closed so we are planning a last day travelling back via the Ardennes.

Planning this trip myself and booking hotels direct has saved us over £200 pp rather than booking with some of the 'Tour' companies advertising in the bike press.

Total distance over the 7 days in approx 2,000 miles. Can't wait.

Hi Jeff,

Planning to go down to Bavaria 12th June for a week, though not planned a route yet. Do you have a copy of of the route you are taking as an autoroute file?

Baz

jefformston said:
I've put together a 7 day tour which includes this road, 6 of us (5 bikes) are leaving Newcastle on the 28th May, ferry across to Holland, then a quick dash down the motorway to Rothenburg for the Saturday night. We then follow the 'Romantic Road' down to Garmisch for a night and then on into Austria and follow part of the 'Classic Bike Tour' staying overnight in Lienz, then back up to Fussen, again using the 'Classic Tour' roads where possible. After Fussen it's up to Freiburg for a night and then up to near the 'Ring' where we stay in a castle on the Rhine. Unfortunatley the 'Ring' is closed so we are planning a last day travelling back via the Ardennes.

Planning this trip myself and booking hotels direct has saved us over £200 pp rather than booking with some of the 'Tour' companies advertising in the bike press.

Total distance over the 7 days in approx 2,000 miles. Can't wait.

Hey, I'm leading a party from the VFR Club to Austria catching the Newcastle ferry on the 28th May. If you see a Caponord with half a dozen VFR's, that'll be us :beerjug:

We're going to Heidelburg first, then through the Black Forest to Chur in Switzerland, then via Northern Italy to Neustift im Stubaital outside Innsbruck (meeting the other 30-odd VFR Members there for a 4 night stay).

Then on the way back it's up the Romantic Road (http://www.romantischestrasse.de/uk/index.php3) to Wurzburg, through the Sauerland to Bochum and then back on the ferry on 6th June.

Like you said, it's saving £200+ over an organised tour.

Be careful if you stay in Rothenburg.

The German cannibal who was recently sent to jail in Germany was from Rothenburg:reaper

King of the ZULU Nation said:
Be careful if you stay in Rothenburg.

The German cannibal who was recently sent to jail in Germany was from Rothenburg:reaper

Not the same Rot(h)enburg. The one on the Romantische Strasse is Rothenburg ob der tauber.
The cannibal was from Rotenburg.

Hillhound said:
A trip to Germany in May is on the cards and one of the group has suggested the Romantic Road as a route.

Has anyone done it recently. What are the roads and traffic like. Any other information gratefuly received.

Just back from there!!
Was working in Germany last week so I hired a GS and the guy I was with got an RT..

Plan was to head towards Neuschwanstein Palace (The one they modeled Disneyland on) so we headed towards Garmisch, turned off at Oberau and took the "back road" to Reutte..
Our plan changed when we saw the sign to Innsbruck.. Couldn't resist a visit there on the bikes during Ski season

Turned around then and headed back towards Fussen and got there as it was getting dark to see the palace then took the Romantic Road back towards Munich again. Did abbout 450km in total.

The guy hiring the bikes to us said we were extremely lucky with the weather as it had snowed heavily days before this, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky on the on the Saturday and quite warm.

I'd definetly recommend the trip.. But it was one of those once in a life time rides to have 2 foot snow banks on the side of the road as you overtake another bus load of skiers on the hairpins..

Lowpoint was Bruno dropping the RT while turning the bike in a snowcovered carpark in front of a bus load of american tourists..

Highpoint was agreeing to turn back onto the main road when a cross country skier overtook us.

I'll try to post photos next week if possible.. Have a good one of a Frozen Lake Plansee..

Next day we went to Heidelburg.. Fantastic town and castle.. But the drive was boring as hell. Real bad buffeting at 180kmph on the Autobahns..

Hillhound,
Might be doing a similar trip in september.Would like to hear the details when you get back.

Cheers

King of the ZULU nation..... Dit sal die donnerse dag wees.... !!!!
What are you doing so far from home??
Your avtar does pose an interesting and very appropriate question, especially in the :ukgser circles we move in... Where does this road go?
Cheers, formerly from MELMOTH and ESHOWE.
Grizz.:green gri :green gri :green gri :green gri

Bavaria

King of the ZULU nation,,

I think you might hear about this trip AS we go!

Pity the Red Baron has gone silver, a German flag run is out of the question now!

(Unless we use the Blackbird, but it just wouldn't be the same)

MasterDabber said:
Not the same Rot(h)enburg. The one on the Romantische Strasse is Rothenburg ob der tauber.
The cannibal was from Rotenburg.

Rotenburg am Fulda is to the north and east of where you are going.

Nice town actually. has a Youth Hostel as the extension to the Fire Station. Pity about having a local cannibal. Good stopping off point between the channel ports and the East of Germany.

Baz said:
Hi Jeff,

Planning to go down to Bavaria 12th June for a week, though not planned a route yet. Do you have a copy of of the route you are taking as an autoroute file?

Baz

Hi Baz,

I have the route as Autoroute files, one for each day of our trip, can't see how to attach them to this message though. Send me an email to jefformston@dellmail.com & I'll reply attaching the files.

sven said:
Hey, I'm leading a party from the VFR Club to Austria catching the Newcastle ferry on the 28th May. If you see a Caponord with half a dozen VFR's, that'll be us :beerjug:

We're going to Heidelburg first, then through the Black Forest to Chur in Switzerland, then via Northern Italy to Neustift im Stubaital outside Innsbruck (meeting the other 30-odd VFR Members there for a 4 night stay).

Then on the way back it's up the Romantic Road (http://www.romantischestrasse.de/uk/index.php3) to Wurzburg, through the Sauerland to Bochum and then back on the ferry on 6th June.

Like you said, it's saving £200+ over an organised tour.

I'll keep an eye out for you. I'll be on a silver GS with pillion, the rest of the group are solo riders, riding a blade, a VFR750 & ZZR1200. We are meeting the others in Rothenburg on the Saturday night.

Back
Top Bottom