Road-suitable enduro tyres for a 640 adv?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I want some decent off-road tyres, but still do 80% of my miles on tar.

On the other side of this forum it would be a very straightforward answer - Continental TKCs.

Has anyone used these on an Adventure, and are they as good an all-round tyre on the KTM as they are on the GSs?

Paul G

Now that's an interesting question. Give them a try and let us know how you get on. :D
Mark

Dunlop 908RR if you've got an 18" rear wheel. Done just over 4,000 miles on one on fitted to my 950 SE. Probably more expensive than a TKC though?

908 front is not highly regarded whilst the rear is a popular tyre for big KTM's in the US, plenty of threads over on www.advrider.com I use a Metzeler Karoo-T front but am just about to fit a Karoo rear to see what they're like as I can get them cheap.

Paul

Give the TKCs a go :thumb2

I had a set on my 950 SE great on road and good offroad great allrounder 8/10...the Dunlop 908RR is a my choice for more hardcore offroad scene 10/10 but very scary :eek:on the black stuff...5/10

The front karoo that the bike came with is a good tyre 8/10 but the back only lasted 1000 mile's 4/10 :(

Paul

I had a set on my 950 SE great on road and good offroad great allrounder 8/10...the Dunlop 908RR is a my choice for more hardcore offroad scene 10/10 but very scary :eek:on the black stuff...5/10

The front karoo that the bike came with is a good tyre 8/10 but the back only lasted 1000 mile's 4/10 :(

I found the 908 rear pretty good grip-wise on tarmac, even in the pouring rain in the Pyrenees? It couldn't have been that bad as I left the rest behind.

The only issue I've heard about 908 rears is that they can cause a front end wobble, which mine suffers from at speeds between 90 & 110mph. I'll fit the new Karoo (not the Karoo-T) & see what happens. I also think my preload settings might be on the hard side & adding to the weave / wobble.

The SE came with a Karoo-T on the front, at 1,100 miles with no offroading, it was visibly worn. I fiited another for the Pyrenees trip & it's still going strong at just over 5,000 miles despite having been ridden offroad???? I'll be replacing it soon to match the new rear.

I found the 908 rear pretty good grip-wise on tarmac, even in the pouring rain in the Pyrenees? It couldn't have been that bad as I left the rest behind.

The only issue I've heard about 908 rears is that they can cause a front end wobble, which mine suffers from at speeds between 90 & 110mph. I'll fit the new Karoo (not the Karoo-T) & see what happens. I also think my preload settings might be on the hard side & adding to the weave / wobble.

The SE came with a Karoo-T on the front, at 1,100 miles with no offroading, it was visibly worn. I fiited another for the Pyrenees trip & it's still going strong at just over 5,000 miles despite having been ridden offroad???? I'll be replacing it soon to match the new rear.

Suffers front end wobble at speeds of 110 mph ...On or off road ??? :D

Possu you have put a few more miles on yours than mine how you finding it have you had any issues with the bike ?

Paul

Thanks- OK the TKCs have been ordered (Busters) and should arrive a day or two. I'll give them 1000 miles or so and post my feedback. It will be good to start to collate some comparitive tyre tests for Adventures in UK conditions.

Thanks for the interesting thoughts.

PG :thumb2

Suffers front end wobble at speeds of 110 mph ...On or off road ??? :D

Possu you have put a few more miles on yours than mine how you finding it have you had any issues with the bike ?

It cut out on me once, near home fortunately. Pushed it home, wouldn't start, so I left it for an hour or two. Tried again, fired right up. :confused:

It cut out on me again & ran rough before coming to a complete halt. I tralered it home & got the dealer to collect it. Turns out the quick fuel disconnect on the l/h side had worked loose, still looked like it was connected but it wasn't. On another visit to the dealer, he noticed that once again it was starting to work loose. I've kept an eye on it & it's not happened since. BTW, these are the same fittings that BMW use.

Other than that, no issues, great bike.

Back
Top Bottom