Etaples Cemetary

yamonda1

Reaction score
I always visit this place on my way back to the ferry/train and yesterday morning the weather allowed a few pics. It's the largest cemetary at almost 12,000 graves and all the old regiments are here including, like me, a few you've probably never heard of.
It is for me a humbling experience to see here the sacrifice of a generation and the care with which they are looked after.

Attachments

• Euro trip Sept 08 048.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 048.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 388
  • Euro trip Sept 08 055.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 055.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 384
More 'Eat Apples' pics

Some of the individual graves.

For some reason the Hindu's are set apart and then all alone is a single man from the Chinese Labour Corps, this solitary man buried in France with his family probably never knowing his fate.

Attachments

• Euro trip Sept 08 056.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 056.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Euro trip Sept 08 058.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 058.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 417
  • Euro trip Sept 08 052.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 052.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 373
  • Euro trip Sept 08 050.jpg
    Euro trip Sept 08 050.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 321
It's a few years since I've been there (which is shameful as it is so close to the Channel ports).

The scale of the cemetery certainly touches on the scale of the war and waste of life on both sides.

:rose

Greg

attachment.php

This picture is interesting.

It seems that the Church of Scotland's Guild established 25 centres, manned by 350 workers, in France and Flanders. Margaret Nisbet was an Attendant in one of these centres where she would have provided succour to the troops.

ymca_hut.JPG

Greg

You saved me some of the work already Greg, when I get the chance I am going to look up the Churches Hut group also Major Reynolds and the Chinese Labour Corps, presumabley they did the earthworks and similar ....

WE stayed in Vlamertinge nr Ypres in June, went to the Menin Gate ceremony which was packed, apparantly it always is. What touched me the most was the sheer scale of the thing , 200 000 names on the gate, all uk or commonwealth and, this is the choker, those are just the ones they couldn't find.

Very sobering.

I would like to see more of the WW1 sites if anyone is going next year.

Moto

Chinese Labour Corps, presumabley they did the earthworks and similar ....

i seem to recall they were brought in at the end of the war to restore flat and level terrain, although many got killed due to the unexploded ordnance that was laying about, although i do stand to be corrected.

Maybe but the headstone shown above showed he died in Sept '17 ...

As with the Scottish Churches Huts I want to find out more about these people and their circumstances ...

I've been to the Menin Gate during daytime and that was moving enough and I can imagine it must be very emotional in the evening ...

Back
Top Bottom