RDGA Temp ?

Arsey

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm off to ride the Routes Des Grandes Alpes/Rte Napoleon/Verdun Gorge/Tarn Gorge this Friday for 10 days.

I'd like to take my newish Hein Gericke kit but it doesn't have a removable lining and is quite close fitting so i can't wear many layers underneath.

Has anybody been up on the RDGA in mid Sept ?

Just wondered how cold it might get ?

Ta

rdga

Were doing similar on the 19th, I have just had a look the forecasts for the next two weeks and it looks pretty grim, temperatures start dropping next week and keep going down, theres talk even of snow, daytime temps in Nice around the 24th are around 13/15 !!!!! if it stays that way I may have to postpone the trip, it will be miserable in the Alps.
Did a similar trip last year in very pleasant weather in mid Sept, but it was still kin cold above 2000mtrs. [ I was very pleased I took my winter gloves ]
Anyhow your week don't look so bad as mine so enjoy your trip and be safe.

I'm off to ride the Routes Des Grandes Alpes/Rte Napoleon/Verdun Gorge/Tarn Gorge this Friday for 10 days.

Me too - and from other posts, I think it's time to dig out my liners and the heated waistcoat.

Thanks guys.

I found this site which gives weather in the mountains for about half way along the RDGA.

It certainly looks to be getting colder !!

Think I'll hoik out the Dainese warmer stuff.

We'll be on 2 white/red 1200GSAs,so if you see us,stop for a chat.

Cheers.

Thanks for the weather link - I'm glad we're not going there over the next 2 days, as it looks like thunder and lightning. Better at the end of the week though :)

I'll be on my blue/white 1150, and my mate's likely to be on a yellow TL1000 - I'll keep a look out.

I'd like to take my newish Hein Gericke kit but it doesn't have a removable lining and is quite close fitting so i can't wear many layers underneath.

How about a simple rain coat over your Hein Gericke :thumb2

RDGA Temp ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondered how you faired, We rode from Lake Geneve to Nice along the Grand Route around the 24th to 29th, It was just about OK, we were advised to ride the high passes around midday because of overnight frosts, even so we had a real scary time on the Col du Galibier, A snowstorm swept in, we sheltered in a cafe for about an hour then decided it was getting worse so we gingerly continued down, and gradually the snow turned to rain and by the time we got to Briacon the sun was out.
This is a spectacular ride, but if we do it again it will be a few weeks earlier.
By the way my HG gear was toastie.

RDGA Temp ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wondered how you faired, We rode from Lake Geneve to Nice along the Grand Route around the 24th to 29th, It was just about OK, we were advised to ride the high passes around midday because of overnight frosts, even so we had a real scary time on the Col du Galibier, A snowstorm swept in, we sheltered in a cafe for about an hour then decided it was getting worse so we gingerly continued down, and gradually the snow turned to rain and by the time we got to Briacon the sun was out.
This is a spectacular ride, but if we do it again it will be a few weeks earlier.
By the way my HG gear was toastie.

We were ok,apart from Col D'Iseran which was -4 ish and thick fog/snow at top.

Col du Galibier was also -4 but dryish.Apart from that weather was beautiful with temps of 20 ish in valleys and single figures at top of cols.

Loads of pics etc here.

I want to go back next year and ride the alternative leg over Col de La Bonette and definitely up Route Napoleon again.

I want to go back next year and ride the alternative leg over Col de La Bonette and definitely up Route Napoleon again.

In July 2005 one day went up the Col de La Bonette and gave up due to the very strong winds and what felt like freezing rain (was +4 :eek: ). Next day not a cloud in the sky and t shirt weather on top :)

Best go up the hill both ways as the south side has some interesting buildings, and the north is more technical ride, IMHO.

I want to go back next year and ride the alternative leg over Col de La Bonette and definitely up Route Napoleon again

There were three bikes and four people in our group, we split up in Jausiers, My bro and his wife took the Nice road up to col de la Bonette, They said It was the most stunning part of the whole route, Whilst I followed the grand route up to col de la Cayolle, which also was fantastic. All this area is part of the national park and has a lot more vegetation and is jaw droppingly beautiful, we shall return.

Arsey, was that you & your friend I was speaking to in Castellane on 17th or 18th Sept @ Grand Hotel De Levant ? I enquired about the origin of the 747 number plate on one of your bikes.

I also rode back over the Col De Bonnette, etc heading towards Interlacken however the weather as fairly kind to me. Did have some low cloud & low temperatures on the climb up the Col De Iseran but great when you broke out of it into sunshine.

Arsey, was that you & your friend I was speaking to in Castellane on 17th or 18th Sept @ Grand Hotel De Levant ? I enquired about the origin of the 747 number plate on one of your bikes.

I also rode back over the Col De Bonnette, etc heading towards Interlacken however the weather as fairly kind to me. Did have some low cloud & low temperatures on the climb up the Col De Iseran but great when you broke out of it into sunshine.

Yup that was me !

Back
Top Bottom