tourtech cradle

samsgs

Reaction score
Once I get the tourtech cradle for the tomtom how do I fit the cradle to the bike - do I need to get some ram mounts or can I use the tomtom rider fitting kits?

thanks

sam

maybe just wait and see what comes, you may just need to fit the back plate.

Please be exacting is it a TT Rider 1 or a TT Rider 2 as the TT cradles may appear or look similar but are different and the forum is littered with archive details on the subject.

The Touratech cradle for TT Rider I saw a few weeks back was a sizeable unit and proved irksome on fitting to a 12GSA , as I recall, it used the TT Rider cradle and connector pin pad with a Touratech cradle frame around it.

To attach the usual method on TT cradles is by a diamond base RAM-B-238 which is also used in the mount kit RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA mount kit but I added a RAM-B-230 (aka butt plug) and a second arm to get a result.

thanks

Looking into it its way too expensive so I will just hve to hold out for one of those bungee things!

sam

Mine is a V1 rider, the touratech cradle is awsome.

Its fitted to the crossbar by 4 bolts under the cradle. You semi tighten it with the bolts facing towards you, then position it and then fully tighten it as the rear ones are a little tricky to tighten when in position.
The charging bracket is screwed directly onto the unit and the power cable slips through a hole in the back.

I've got the lockable one, its very tough and holds the rider very well.

Although it is lockable I wouldnt leave the unit on the bike if I was away from the bike for any length of time as near enough the whole locking mechanism is visible.

I've never had a problem with it and would advise it to anyone who's got the same gps.

If you need any piccy's of installation let me know!

Hope this helps

Sid
:beer::beer:

how does

it work then - does the cradle bolt onto the standard bracket or does it use something else.

Also how do the electrical contacts work?

thanks

sam

thanks

thanks for that.

What I dont understand now is that do I have to buy a ram mount to fit the wunderlich cradle or can I use the standard tomtom mounts to fit the wunderlich mount to the bike?

If I have to buy the claw then the cost is more or less the same as the tourtech cradle.

thanks

sam

Sam, the instructions mention

The main bracket is bolted in between the original black metal bracket and plastic mounting, using the supplied four M3x12 bolts. Secure bolts with thread locking fluid (not included).

So it cannot use a RAM-B-347 as supplied with Rider 2 (this version has AMPS fix pattern) but can only use a diamond base RAM-B-238 and pick on two of diagonal holes. Rider 1 used a non-AMPS fix pattern. Also M3 x 15mm maximum screws to allow for depth of base attached.

cheers

Steve

The manual shows a mount on the bottom hence my confusion

sam

The pictures in the manual shows a set delivered by Wunderlich.
It´s with an additional mount with rubber blocks and a balljoint arm, together with the cradle.
But that set also is far more expensive(=Touratech), than the cradle lonely.

Inge K.

pics pleaes

Inge

would you mind sending me pictures of your set up and what hardware you are using please.

If the wunderlich kit works with the oem tom tom hardware i will get it - if not I may as well go with the strap option

thanks

sam

email for me is samjaffacake at gmail dot com

Mine is a V1 rider, the touratech cradle is awesome.
:beer::beer:

+1 :thumb2

I was just about to bin the old TT Rider One, and as a last resort bought the Touratwat bracket - It is a really well made piece of kit - A bit fiddly, but not complicated to fit. Sits on a GSA12 Screen bar at a good height too. The only compromise is visibility of the clocks - The unit on the screen slightly obscures the Rev counter... not a big deal though

Inge

would you mind sending me pictures of your set up and what hardware you are using please.

Sam

I don´t know if a picture of my setup would help that much, all the time it´s partly modified hardware and homemade pieces to get a snug fit inside the fairing of a K1100LT.

But, yes it´s designed to fit together with mounting hardware supplied with your Rider If you got a V1. and you need nothing else.

It should be mounted between the genuine cradle and the genuine bracket.
And it keeps the Rider firmly in place (with the possibility of some pre-tension when tightening the tamperproof screw on the upper hook),
compared to the flimsy cradle delivered with the Rider.

And you don´t need to look further than the top of this page for where to buy: http://www.nippynormans.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WUN-8600880&variation=&aitem=5&mitem=5

Inge K.

many thanks

Inge - will go ahead and get it.

I assume that the supplied bolts are long enough to thread through the 3 brackets - the tomtom orginal one, the wunderlich one and finally the rear bracket from tomtom with the ball behind it?

sam

I'll pop some photos on later for you, simple fit, all bolts etc supplied.

Top kit!

Inge - will go ahead and get it.

I assume that the supplied bolts are long enough to thread through the 3 brackets - the tomtom orginal one, the wunderlich one and finally the rear bracket from tomtom with the ball behind it?

sam

Sam

About the screws, after going through the bracket with ball and the wunderlich they would reach appr. 5 mm into your Tomtom cradle which is more than enough (if not to much).
Just take a measurement before the mounting, and check that not the screws bottoms, and if they are a bit to long just add a 3 mm washer of the correct thickness under each.

In the Wunderlich manual it was adviced to use thread locking fluid, that would be wise.
A friend of mine lost his screws while we was out driving, due to vibration (and this was with the Rider genuine bracket setup only).

When fitting the Wunderlich cradle I`m quite shure that you save yourself for a lot of future problems (drilled contacts, lost connection, cracked cradle housing) I`ve earlier experienced all of them.

Good luck!

Inge K.

Sorry for delay!

If you've not yet ordered the touratech mount here's the piccys:

tomtom1.jpg

Showing 4 securing bolts onto the handlebar crossbar

tomtom2.jpg

tomtom3.jpg

I've got an extra powerpoint on the front which is used for the tomtom, the cable is ziptied along the crossbar.
The origininal power / mount / cradle thingy screws onto the tt bracket and the cable runs through the hole in the back shown in the last piccy

Hope this is of some use!

Sid:beer::beer:

Back
Top Bottom