Courses, bike specific

frogger

Reaction score
I was talking to a friend of mine and he said it would be cool to do a course on how to do simple fixes to his 1200GSA when out in Morocco. It made me wonder if anyone (a person or business) provide bike specific trail side mechanic courses? We don't want to sign up to a 6 month - 3 year mechanics course, we are simply interested in the basics such as trail side repairs, maintenance, puncture repair, what should be in the tool kit, etc.. The kind of stuff you might have to do on a trip to Morocco for example. Additionally it would be good to do it all on our own bikes. Any ideas?

Hackney Community College used to run a Motorcycle Maintenance and 'Advanced' Motorcycle Maintenance class. Not sure if it still running.

The first course would take you through all the main components of a bike, look at each system and how it works etc. Then give time to get familiar with that part of your own bike.

The second course was more a 'guided workshop' where you could do anything you like to you own bike, with knowledgeable people on hand to help.

For myself as a complete numpty, I learned the basics of pre-ride inspection properly, oil changes, brake pad changes, brake bleeding, wiring in lights & sockets, wheel removal, puncture repair, tube changing, etc.

Bjorn (Celtic Pixie on here) did all his F650 Dakar preparation at these workshops see http://www.panomoto.com/

Of course, now I have the 800GS its all changed and the first problem I had (EWS) I can do nothing about :tears And I don't have the right sockets to get the wheels off at the moment, and I'm not going to Morocco either, but I do have the BMW Emergency Assist card for now :clap

Hackney Community College used to run a Motorcycle Maintenance and 'Advanced' Motorcycle Maintenance class. Not sure if it still running...

Looks like that one died a death last year. I would have signed up.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said it would be cool to do a course on how to do simple fixes to his 1200GSA when out in Morocco. ... we are simply interested in the basics such as trail side repairs, maintenance, puncture repair, what should be in the tool kit, etc.. The kind of stuff you might have to do on a trip to Morocco for example.
I can't help feeling that World of BMW are missing a big trick here. I wondered exactly the same thing about 5 years ago, and even went as far as writing to WoBMW suggesting they organise a 2 day BMW specific course eg one for 1150s, another for 1200s etc etc. I wasn't suggesting that they teach you how to do a full service on your bike (because obviously they want you to use a BMW dealer for those) but as you said, a course that would help you get out of the crap if you were on tour and something went wrong. They could hold the courses at the base for the WoBMW Off Road courses - they've already got BMW bikes and good mechanics there, so it wouldn't take much to organise.

I know we've all got the Owners Manual, but IMO nothing beats watching someone who knows what they're doing to give you the confidence to do it yourself. I seem to remember that Ewan and Charley had a basic course before the LWR - it's a pity that the same course wasn't available to normal Joe Public. :rolleyes: Sadly I never even got a reply. :(

I'm sure there would be a demand for them, but it seems like another good idea goes down in flames. Perhaps it's a legal liability thing. :blast

I went to my dealer and after offering them some jaffa cakes they let me watch the servicing department work on my bike and a couple of others.

I had a good chat with matey doing the work and while it's far from being able to do some of the more complex tasks at least you have an understanding where the stuff is that could fall off, what noises it'll make while it's falling off and hopefully an idea how to put it back on.

worked for me for everything else there's always mastercard

:augie

I am thinking of holding a course (try out) it'll be based in Bisley Surrey cos I can get a hall there and I've got someone in mind who can show you around a number of bikes.

Perhaps even have a set of wheels that could be stripped down etc. if anyone has an interest in that? Cos I have to bring my two few travellers up to speed on a couple of things for summer 09

i'd be very intrested in a course like that if i'm about msounds a very usful course to a novice like myself
Al

... I am thinking of holding a course (try out) it'll be based in Bisley Surrey cos I can get a hall there and I've got someone in mind who can show you around a number of bikes. .... Perhaps even have a set of wheels that could be stripped down etc. if anyone has an interest in that?
Pencil me in please - as much notice as possible would be appreciated. :thumb2

Didn't you suggest this once before? :nenau

I am thinking of holding a course (try out) it'll be based in Bisley Surrey cos I can get a hall there and I've got someone in mind who can show you around a number of bikes.

Perhaps even have a set of wheels that could be stripped down etc. if anyone has an interest in that? Cos I have to bring my two few travellers up to speed on a couple of things for summer 09

I am in Coulsdon in Surrey so yes, put my name down as well! I could probably get another 2 guys who ride 1200GSA's down there as well.

Someone somewhere is missing a big trick. I recon there are quite a few out there that will pay good money for a course like this.

Pencil me in please - as much notice as possible would be appreciated. :thumb2

Didn't you suggest this once before? :nenau

I did but seem to have end up at the wrong end of someone's christmas list:augie

will start a thread on this later as I've been trying to sort this out for ages.

As I understand it World of BMW will be offering maintenance courses as of next year in South Wales. S

As I understand it World of BMW will be offering maintenance courses as of next year in South Wales. S
See. I told you it was a good idea. :D Hope your sources are right.

A World of BMW maintenance course, on the same industrial estate as Touratech. I predict that demand will be good. :thumb2

Mr and Mrs Pavey, none other, at about 4.15pm on the 6th September 2008, cant get more specific than that! S

I wonder what it's going to cost?? I'd love to do such a course as I still have dreams of extended trips in furrin parts but I'd baulk at the 450 squids for a w/e sort of pricing.

I went to my dealer and after offering them some jaffa cakes they let me watch the servicing department work on my bike and a couple of others.

I had a good chat with matey doing the work and while it's far from being able to do some of the more complex tasks at least you have an understanding where the stuff is that could fall off, what noises it'll make while it's falling off and hopefully an idea how to put it back on.

worked for me for everything else there's always mastercard

:augie

I live quite near to Bisley and would find that sort of short course very interesting, for when i fall off the ex bmw offroad school bike im getting in december (F 800GS)

Back
Top Bottom