Is a Tom Tom v1 any good?

Yes, very good. I'd check that the one you are buying has a mark 2 cradle. I bought one of the first out and they modded the cradle later on. They look the same but are stronger at the hinge on top. I'd also buy a strap from on here that holds the unit into the cradle and prevents any movement. The only fault with the version 1 was the connectors rubbing and arcing between the unit and the cradle. If you have a mark 2 cradle and a strap this will not be a problem.
I still prefer my TomTom 1 to my Dads Garmin Zumo 550 and it still works perfectly 3 years on.
It won't plug into autocom but you can connect it via bluetooth. You can get the autocom dongle or for much less get a different brand off ebay.

Be cautious here, by "V1" I presume you mean a 'Rider' version 1?

There was a TomTom V1 unit sold which isn't waterproof and is very basic for use inside a car. It wouldn't be much good on a bike IMHO, the 'Rider' type unit would be however.

As UKaloon says, its worth using the better mount if you can get one. I use a rider with the Touratech mount and it has never been a problem. I use mine with Audio via the rechargeable Bluetooth Tomtom dongle into my Autocom unit through the dedicated cable that Autocom sells. You can also buy a full Bluetooth solution from Autocom but I think they aren't cheap.

tt v2 car

I have a tt v2 car, which i have used on my bike for two years now, I have it mounted just behind the srceen on a Ram mount, and have a little waterproof bag I put over it in the rain. I has taken me all over France (in the hardest rain I have ever experience) and across Spain last year, in 37 degrees of heat and dust, and is still going strong. Very cheap.

My opinion from experience of two Rider Mk1s and a Mk2 is don't touch them.

The first one would not work on the bike bracket after about two months. Decided it was not the best option anyway so bought a car bracket for wife to use it and a Garmin 2710 for me.

Later wife passed bike test so bought new bracket and fitted Rider to her bike. Bracket gave up after less than 1000 miles. Eventually Tomtom took it back and it took them two months to replace it. That broke as well so after a letter to Tomtom CEO they sent me a Mark 2. That won't turn off, well it does but immediatley reboots. Tomrtom say its a corrupted map problem and I will have to buy new maps to make it work.

I have found a much better solution and have just bought wife a Garmin Zumo.

Incidentally. I damaged the 2720 screen and Garmin replaced it with a new unit inside 48 hours - at no charge despite me admiting it was my fault. Later it was stolen and replaced with a Zumo which has been all over Europe and has worked faultlessly.

Just been offered a v1 for £150, are they any good?
It only has UK mapping.
Will it plug into my autocom?
Thanks in advance
Kev
I am absolutely in the do not touch it category. If you go out in the wet it will pack up, no 3.5 mm output jack (bluetooth only) fussy as hell linking in with phones. Put the GBP150 to a Garmin, some of which are now going for less than GBP250. The system is good, build quality poor. I was stupid enough to buy 2 and a V2. I have bought one Garmin which is still going strong.

Back
Top Bottom