On-Route - Route Planning software

If I plot a route with the On-route software, can I send it straight to my Garmin Zumo so that it appears on Mapsource? Or do I have to load separate (third party) maps onto my Zumo as well?

If the route is loaded onto my Zumo and I then go off-route (miss a turning or hit a deviation, say) will the Zumo recalculate?

You don't need to buy any extra maps.

The best way to do it, is to plan the route with On-Route, then export it to MapSource (On-Route has this function) then select the map in MapSource thats loaded on your unit and do a 'recalculate route' so that it matches the roads exactly that are on your unit.

The maps with on-route are Navteq (i.e. what Garmin uses) so it is theoretically possible to send them directly to the unit without recalculating, but as you probably know if you've ever tried using CN v9 routes on CN 2008 or similar, it's usually best to relcalculate them before sending to the unit so that you don't end up in the hedge!

Regarding the recalc on the unit if you make a wrong turn, the best thing to do is to switch off the recalculation function on the unit, this way you can simply track back onto the route yourself.

HTH,

David

On-Route has just been launched in the UK, price 99 pounds.

Contact me if you're interested in buying this product and I can get you a discount, more info on the product here:

http://www.on-route.com

David

I tend to use Auto-Route for my quick and dirty route planning, then create my actual routes in Mapsource ready for download.

Why would I want to use on-route instead?? - Very interested to know the advantages?

On-route

Watch the video tutorial on on-route.com and all will be revealed, but in summary:

This software is much better for finding scenic roads when planning a route, MapSource can avoid highways and favour small roads, but where a pass is small or especially twisty, MapSource will often decide that the road is too long and direct you another way. On-Route, has a take ''scenic roads'' option which is more than a simple avoid, this builds routes that are near to features of interest (forests, lakes, and roads with many turns), it is complimentary to MapSource, but it does much more of these type of things.

On-Route generates options for your routes that you can choose between and compare directly, it also has a very cool 'excursion wizard' which allows you to plan and preview day trips from and returning to the same location with various options.

In addition to that it does more with pois and has lots of pre-generated routes built in, so think of it as an easy way to plan better trips.

It's true that MapSource is already a useful product, but On-Route builds on the best features of MapSource for bikers particularly and so is a logical extension to it for those left wanting.

That's taking it from a purely Garmin point of view, but on-route is also very useful for TomTom (where it extends the possibilities of route planning enormously) and also allows non-gps users to benefit from many of the cool features of a GPS without having to spend the money on one.

I can't really do all of the features of the product justice here, so watch the tutorial if you want to learn more, you might even recognise the voice! :)

HTH,

David

Will it work on a Mac?

Reason I ask is that I need to keep my laptop loaded with mapsource purely for loading the 2650... I have Bobcat ...was thinking of bootcamp to load windows on the mac tosolve the problem;)

Watch the video tutorial on on-route.com and all will be revealed, but in summary:

This software is much better for finding scenic roads when planning a route, MapSource can avoid highways and favour small roads, but where a pass is small or especially twisty, MapSource will often decide that the road is too long and direct you another way. On-Route, has a take ''scenic roads'' option which is more than a simple avoid, this builds routes that are near to features of interest (forests, lakes, and roads with many turns), it is complimentary to MapSource, but it does much more of these type of things.

On-Route generates options for your routes that you can choose between and compare directly, it also has a very cool 'excursion wizard' which allows you to plan and preview day trips from and returning to the same location with various options.

In addition to that it does more with pois and has lots of pre-generated routes built in, so think of it as an easy way to plan better trips.

It's true that MapSource is already a useful product, but On-Route builds on the best features of MapSource for bikers particularly and so is a logical extension to it for those left wanting.

That's taking it from a purely Garmin point of view, but on-route is also very useful for TomTom (where it extends the possibilities of route planning enormously) and also allows non-gps users to benefit from many of the cool features of a GPS without having to spend the money on one.

I can't really do all of the features of the product justice here, so watch the tutorial if you want to learn more, you might even recognise the voice! :)

HTH,

David

Thanks for the feedback David - unfortunately the video on the site is so indistinct that I cant see what its doing (even full size on my monitor) so not really possible to see all the bits the narrator is discussing. Sounds lovely, though not sure I'd want to invest £100 smakers in it from that video (even though I'm a GPS geek)! Any other resources I can look at or a trial download etc?

Will it work on the Mac, no not at this stage.

Regarding the quality of the film, it's somewhat annoying as the original film is very good quality but when it was uploaded to youtube/google it was worse, so I need to look into that.

David

Sound improved on online tutorial now.

Download link also offered from site at a far more reasonable 45mb :)

Enjoy!

All the Best,

David

Sound improved on online tutorial now.

Download link also offered from site at a far more reasonable 45mb :)

Enjoy!

All the Best,

David

That download aint working David - could be bandwidth of course - I'll try again in the wee small hours but I think you need to use some different deployment method to give yourself the best chance of a hit with this software! Best of luck.:thumb

That download aint working David - could be bandwidth of course - I'll try again in the wee small hours but I think you need to use some different deployment method to give yourself the best chance of a hit with this software! Best of luck.:thumb

Got your vid at last David - WOW does everything I try to do by hand, automatically!

I'll PM you.

You don't need to buy any extra maps.

The best way to do it, is to plan the route with On-Route, then export it to MapSource (On-Route has this function) then select the map in MapSource thats loaded on your unit and do a 'recalculate route' so that it matches the roads exactly that are on your unit.

The maps with on-route are Navteq (i.e. what Garmin uses) so it is theoretically possible to send them directly to the unit without recalculating, but as you probably know if you've ever tried using CN v9 routes on CN 2008 or similar, it's usually best to relcalculate them before sending to the unit so that you don't end up in the hedge!

Regarding the recalc on the unit if you make a wrong turn, the best thing to do is to switch off the recalculation function on the unit, this way you can simply track back onto the route yourself.

HTH,

David

Many thanks for the reply and the responses to the other questions.

I will have a look at the improved quality tutorials. On the face of it, it looks like a good product.

Two questions:

How long has the trial been going on for? I can appreciate that many of the glitches will have been fixed but frequent use sometimes finds others. Will there be any after-market support or patches made available and / or a way to flag up problems / questions.

Roads change, most particularly new roads get built. What plans are there for revisions?

David, I do all my route planning on Michelin mapping, what I need is a product like yours, but based on detailed Michelin maps so I can transfer the routes to the PC or GPS without the usual pain. That would be a totally winning product for me, one I’m sure we’d all love to have!

PS watched the vid, it’s a very clever program, well done (I presume its yours?)

David, I do all my route planning on Michelin mapping, what I need is a product like yours, but based on detailed Michelin maps so I can transfer the routes to the PC or GPS without the usual pain. That would be a totally winning product for me, one I’m sure we’d all love to have!

PS watched the vid, it’s a very clever program, well done (I presume its yours?)

Off topic, but.... I have contacted Michelin with a suggestion that they make this service available, rather than limit it to their own brand GPS devices.

In the meantime, a good Michelin map and Mapsource works quite well.

Off topic, but.... I have contacted Michelin with a suggestion that they make this service available, rather than limit it to their own brand GPS devices.

In the meantime, a good Michelin map and Mapsource works quite well.
It works, but it’s not easy, often the roads we want aren’t easy to find in mapsource, it’s just poor mapping…

As for Michelin, I’ve contacted them for similar reasons,

It works, but it’s not easy, often the roads we want aren’t easy to find in mapsource, it’s just poor mapping…

As for Michelin, I’ve contacted them for similar reasons,

It now seems that the excellent Via Michelin website will support sending routes to a variety of GPS devices. Garmin, TomTom and a host of others.

This, if it works, is exellent news as it will enable people to plot out all those green scenic routes everyone is always asking about.

It now seems that the excellent Via Michelin website will support sending routes to a variety of GPS devices. Garmin, TomTom and a host of others.

This, if it works, is exellent news as it will enable people to plot out all those green scenic routes everyone is always asking about.
Get ready for a disappointment, I tried it a couple of days back, loaded file to Mapsource but all I got was a start and finish waypoint, no route, tried it a couple of times, no good :( But please do give it a go, hopefully I got it wrong...

Get ready for a disappointment, I tried it a couple of days back, loaded file to Mapsource but all I got was a start and finish waypoint, no route, tried it a couple of times, no good :( But please do give it a go, hopefully I got it wrong...

You're not wrong. :(

Back
Top Bottom