Through Eu to Egypt then India?

plg

Dear All : I could do with any advice concerning: Where to get the best deal on Carnet, insurance sites/agents, travelling through Greece and Turkey - anyone done the ferry from Brindisi to Greece, or Turkey to Cyprus to Egypt. What is the Greek/Turkey border crossing like (to Istanbul). Has anyone ever freighted their bike from Egypt to India? I know it sounds a bit wacky - but I suspect if it is you will tell me!

Thanks number 6
Not really, you won't get past Turkey without the Carnet.

BTW I believe Egypt is one of the most expensive countries for the Carnet.

Get in touch with the RAC list all the countries you wish to visit plus details of bike. They will give you a price. I believe you do get almost all of it back.

Met a Swiss guy in Egypt last year with a brand new GSA he paid a lot for the Carnet but was well travelled and said he was unconcerned of the price of the carnet as he always got the money back, only problem is having the cash in the first place

Just contacted the RAC - they have info on the website and on first read it seems hellish expensive. However I'm waiting for their contact to get back to me. RAC is the only place you can get one, hope I do get 'most' of the cash back!

Just contacted the RAC - they have info on the website and on first read it seems hellish expensive. However I'm waiting for their contact to get back to me. RAC is the only place you can get one, hope I do get 'most' of the cash back!
All of it back, barr the fees...

or just pay a bonding agent he'll insure it and just make sure you bring back the paperwork I think Iran or Egypt was somehting like 800% of the value....:eek:

The main man at the RAC Travel Center is Paul Gowan. He contributes on the HUBB/ Horizons Unlimited site and uses the moniker "RACPG".
He can answer anything you need to know about visas/carnets/etc and costs. ...
From what I can understand they value you bike for Egyptian Carnet de Passages en Douane at 800% (most other countries requiring a carnet want 200%) of the value of the bike, so if your bike is a new GSA thats £12000 x 800% = £96000. You pay the Insurance company thru the RAC 10% of that which would be $9,600. When you return from your trip you get 50% of that back which would be £4800. You have paid £4800 for pleasure of riding thru the Western Desert. Oh and you also pay a £350 refundable deposit to the RAC and an Insurance Premium tax of 5%
Still want to go to Egypt??!!.
I may be talking b.....x so check with Paul..........

Rod

The main man at the RAC Travel Center is Paul Gowan. He contributes on the HUBB/ Horizons Unlimited site and uses the moniker "RACPG".
He can answer anything you need to know about visas/carnets/etc and costs. ...
From what I can understand they value you bike for Egyptian Carnet de Passages en Douane at 800% (most other countries requiring a carnet want 200%) of the value of the bike, so if your bike is a new GSA thats £12000 x 800% = £96000. You pay the Insurance company thru the RAC 10% of that which would be $9,600. When you return from your trip you get 50% of that back which would be £4800. You have paid £4800 for pleasure of riding thru the Western Desert. Oh and you also pay a £350 refundable deposit to the RAC and an Insurance Premium tax of 5%
Still want to go to Egypt??!!.
I may be talking b.....x so check with Paul..........

Rod
I think you are wrong.

Ask Joe the Celt, he took his GS to India last year

Unfortunately Paul has not returne dmy email thouh I ahve been doing some reading up. Its the 50% back that I need to get a clear answer on. If you are right it will be a disappointment! (understatement). - Thanks for info

there's a few of uk GS'ers in Istanbul and Antalya who will be happy to help if you need advice. Rest assured, getting into and through Turkey is pretty straightforward. Getting further will be a little bit more tricky, but I have no experience of that :)

Unfortunately Paul has not returne dmy email thouh I ahve been doing some reading up. Its the 50% back that I need to get a clear answer on. If you are right it will be a disappointment! (understatement). - Thanks for info

Holland is a good place for the carnet, apparently...

ST247 / Richie,

Thats what I was working on and there is an example of what the Carnet would cost, I had talked with Paul to confirm the figures. Maybe you can blag it on the day but its a long way back if you can't..
It certainly changed my plans for a round the Med trip......!

Rod

Dear All : I could do with any advice concerning: Where to get the best deal on Carnet, insurance sites/agents, travelling through Greece and Turkey - anyone done the ferry from Brindisi to Greece, or Turkey to Cyprus to Egypt. What is the Greek/Turkey border crossing like (to Istanbul). Has anyone ever freighted their bike from Egypt to India? I know it sounds a bit wacky - but I suspect if it is you will tell me!

Hi,
Did the ferry Brindisi to Greece this year, had a few days in Corfu. :sunshine No problem with the ferry, bought ticket on the day, there are several ferry companies that do the run at varying prices so shop around a bit. :thumb2
Just a couple of 'head ups', take your own strap for securing the bike on deck, the company only supply 2 peices of thin nylon string and they wash the decks before leaving Brindisi in order to make them like the proverbial ice rink, :yikes then all the deck hands stand around watching, hoping for a spill .. and offering encouragement, (I think it was encouragement)!!!! :mad:

Hi,
Did the ferry Brindisi to Greece this year, had a few days in Corfu. :sunshine No problem with the ferry, bought ticket on the day, there are several ferry companies that do the run at varying prices so shop around a bit. :thumb2
Just a couple of 'head ups', take your own strap for securing the bike on deck, the company only supply 2 peices of thin nylon string and they wash the decks before leaving Brindisi in order to make them like the proverbial ice rink, :yikes then all the deck hands stand around watching, hoping for a spill .. and offering encouragement, (I think it was encouragement)!!!! :mad:

Thanks for good info - no need to spend too much time planning for that bit from Italy to Greece.

Anyone been through Iran and Pakistan to India?

I can only confirm what has been said about the ferry, the roads in Greece and Turkey and the bordercrossing: absolutely hassle free. You just want to stick to the speed limits in Bulgaria, because there are radars all around the place. Fines are very cheap & negotiable.

For the Carnet in Egypt: the main difference with the rest of Africa is that most of Africa will accept a CDP with a declared value for e.g. a 2008 GSA of 1000 USD. So your warranty is "fairly low", and it works almost everywhere on the beautifull Black Continent . Egyptian officials :ymca will not accept such a CDP, they know the true value of your machine.

My wife & myself managed to talk our R100 G/S PD into Egypt back in 1994, with a selfmade CDP. In fact we made it in our tent in Israel, just 2 km away from the border. The stamps we made with an apple :angel
It all went well, but "don't try this at home". Serving time :hide in Egypt doesn't sound too appealing

Back
Top Bottom