Iceland Late October, early November.....!(again)

Farmer Palmer

Reaction score
Heading out to Iceland for a week in late October, we're hiring a Toyota Yaris with chunky snow tyres instead of the bikes as it's a bit cold up there at the moment......!:eek:

This time we're going out to Vestmannaeyjar on Icelands 'roughest' ferry crossing as well as the usual waterfalls, geysirs and Blue Lagoon etc. If the weathers not too bad we're driving round to Jökulsárlón glacier lake and a wee village in the Eastfjords called Eskifjorður to meet some Icelandic biking friends.:beerjug:

Also meeting up with the guys at 'Viking Biking' in Reykjavík to see how the new BMW F650GS bike hire and guided tour business is working out, since the ferry timings from the north of Scotland don't match our summer farming schedule!

FP.

Iceland.....! Plenty to do there in a week......!

Flying out from Glasgow tomorrow night with Icelandair.:thumb2

Staying in Keflavik the first night were I'm meeting friends there with a Pizza place who visited our farm last year, then on to Hafnarfjordur where I'm meeting a biking freind who works at the local swimming pool, he's also been to our farm helping out.

After that we'll head into Reykjavik where I'm visiting a friend of mine who works at the Landrover dealership and also is a member of the Icelandrover club. His brother also runs a Quad hire business near Reykjavik so I'm hoping to see him at somepoint aswell.

Then we visit the guys at Viking Biking the BMW F650GST hire company, Njall also has the only HP2 in Iceland so we can swap HP2 stories.......!

Then I need to decide if the weather will be good enough for the 900mile trip to Eskifjordur in the Eastfjords to see my biking friend Einar and has family who also visited our farm in Scotland last year. There's a lot of snow about and it's a long drive there and back even though we've upgraded to a more suitable Toyota RAV4 so I don't know if we'll go there yet!

I'd also like to go out to Vestmannaeyjar(Heimay) again but it's a three hour ferry trip from the mainland and is usually a pretty rough crossing even in summer so at this time of year it good be very interesting. If we do get there it'll be Puffin and chips for tea.....!

Since I'm going there with a fellow UKGSer and ADVrider who hasn't been up there before I suppose we'll need to do the touristy places aswell......Blue Lagoon, Geysir, Gullfoss, Skogafoss, Pingvellir and visit a couple of the receeding Glaciers on the Myrdalsjokull aswell since we're passing.....!

Before all of this though i'll need to visit Landsbankinn as we can't get any Icelandic Krona in the UK at all, none of our 'Scottish banks' are trading the stuff and the Icelandic embassy in London confirmed this last week. They did however say that any money we took with us to Iceland would be gratefully recieved....! The current exchange rate is about 190ISK to £1(compared to 128 on our last visit)

Looks like it could be a busy and interesting week.......!

FP.

ps. now where did I leave my thermals?

Looks like it's around -3 in the middle of the day so you'll need those thermals! It seems such a short time ago that we were up there getting sunburn and overheating on some of those interior roads too. Have a great time anyway.

Back
Top Bottom