Adverts on you Garmin GPS?

ebbo

Reaction score
I don't believe it, tell me its April the first :blast

Copy/pasta
Several Garmin International Inc. navigation products will offer free real-time traffic data supported by interactive ads.
Navteq, which provides digital map data, said in a Wednesday release that Garmin would use Navteq’s traffic alert and interactive ad services for the nuvi 2x5 and nuvi 7x5 families of navigation devices.
Fiancial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Products with the service should appear in stores in October, Garmin spokeswoman Carly Bates said Thursday.
This is the first time a service on Garmin products will show ads, she said. Previously, users subscribed for a fee to get real-time traffic data.
Traffic data will be delivered to navigation devices through FM radio, letting drivers avoid traffic accidents, road closures and construction. The units to offer the service come standard with a traffic receiver that can provide alerts for covered areas, which include major metropolitan areas.
Advertising, delivered the same way, would be contextually relevant, allowing users to click on ads to view business information and a route to get there. Ads for nearby businesses will appear along the bottom of the screen only when the vehicle has been stopped for at least 10 seconds.”
“By providing customers like Garmin an advertising-based revenue model in conjunction with RDS traffic data delivery, we believe that more drivers will have access to the most up-to-date traffic information to better manage their daily commutes,” John MacLeod, Navteq executive vice president, said in the release. “Drivers benefit by receiving free traffic while offering advertisers a new location-targeted environment to engage consumers.”

Sauce:
http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2008/09/08/daily26.html?ana=yfcpc

I think it is a good idea. Let's face it they are a business and they need to make money, so they either need to charge punters for services like traffic notification or they can get revenue from advertising and give it away free:nenau

Back
Top Bottom