PDA

View Full Version : proposed strata and other boats tro closures

adamneeds
04-10-08, 21:02
as it says some used routes may close but weve got to act quick link to map of proposed closures.

http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utiliti...?mediaid=11536

I had a quick look on the map and made the following speedy response, feel free to copy & paste it or take the p*ss, but at least I wrote summat. I would hate to lose those bits off my run. we also only have a week to object :thumb

sent to:-

countryside@ceredigion.gov.uk
Subject: 'CMPP – Draft Strategy'
Dear Sir/madam
I have read over the Cambrian Mountains Pilot Project Draft Strategy report and appendices and am writing to make the following points.

As a regular user of the Byways network of both Ceredigion and Powys in a 4x4 and on motorcycle for the last 15 years, I am wanting to object to the following proposed TRO’s:

13CAM22/1 & 13CAM22/2 is a track of good surface, tarmac in places.

8CAM16/6 is a track of good surface giving access to the Hostel at the western end which I make use of when passing that way.

27CAM219/3 & 27CAM2194 although currently a dead end, makes a very pleasant and lengthy scenic drive, even though one is obliged to turn around.

Similarly 18CAM21/2 & 19CAM21/1 are also currently a dead end, but would make a sensible loop if linked to the above byway, by the opening of the approx 2km track in between.

I am in agreement at the continued TRO of the Monk’s Trod (27CAM21/4) as it is an extremely sensitive peat bog and having ridden it some years ago (when still open to motorcycles), would not want to venture there again as the surface was badly cut up and use of 4x4s would seriously damage it.

I hope my comments will be of some use and please feel free to contact me via email or letter.
Yours faithfully,

brassmonkey001
04-10-08, 21:56
Linky no worky. :nenau

robroy
05-10-08, 07:41
Try http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=11536

Just pasting the URL isn't enough if it's a long one - also select the text of the url, then click the icon of the globe with the link and paste the full link into the box that pops up.

adamneeds
05-10-08, 10:42
Try http://www.ceredigion.gov.uk/utilities/action/act_download.cfm?mediaid=11536

Just pasting the URL isn't enough if it's a long one - also select the text of the url, then click the icon of the globe with the link and paste the full link into the box that pops up.

still learning only 4th post but thanks for showing me the way:thumb

also was sent another better written response if you wish to email this one instead same email and subject as post 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sirs
Following recent communications from interested bodies I have read over the Cambrian Mountains Pilot Project Draft Strategy report and appendices and thought I would reply to this with the following points.I am a fairly regular user of the various Rights Of Way in both Ceredigion and Powys, mostly using a standard road going 4x4, and have been doing so for more than 10 years. I would like to make the following comments about some of the proposed Traffic Regulation Orders.

13CAM22/1 & 13CAM22/2 are both tracks with a good surface which is tarmac in places. I have used both many times, especially when there have been problems on the A44 between Llangurig and Aberystwyth. Although this is part of a National Cycle route I have rarely found a cyclist to be using them. Most seem more inclined to continue in to the Elan Valley.8CAM16/6 is a track with a good surface, which gives access to the Youth Hostel at it's western end which Ihave used on several occasions. Although it is used by other users I have never had a "conflict" problem here.27CAM219/3 & 27CAM219/4, commonly known as Claerwen Dam Lane, is a very commonly used route, making a very pleasant drive along the edge of the Lake. Known to be a "dead end", it is a shame it can't be linked to 19CAM/21/1 and 18CAM21/2, which are also "dead ends", thus making a fine "through route". I have been on the former routes many times and don't think I have ever seen any non-vehicular users using them more than half a dozen times, so do not think there is any "conflict" here.

I agree with the continuation of the TRO that is current on 27CAM21/4, otherwise known as Monks Trod. I have spoken to many others who also agree that this route is not sustainable and would be best downgraded to a footpath. Even the equestrians I have spoken to agree with this.

16/CAM19/12 appears to be part of the long distance route known as Strata Florida and putting a TRO on part of this route would result in 2 "dead ends" that would probably result in many people ignoring it and breaking the law. Again this is a route that is largely based on solid rock tracks so, if people keep to the correct route, is not easily damaged. This is also a route I have done many times and can honestly say I have only ever seen a lone cyclist using it, other than 4x4's or motorbikes. I have NEVER seen a walker there. There is also the fact that this is a route that is commonly used on the Welsh Enduro, which I agree can be a noisy event, but if closed could result in the ending of that historic and important event.

32/CAM202/3 is now a "dead end" route.

There are various routes in the Nant yr Arian area, 12/CAM32/3, 12/CAM32/6, 12/CAM32/5, 14/CAM62/1, 14/CAM62/2, 14/CAM62/3. These are routes that I have used. I will agree that there can be some conflict in this area with the mountain bikers from the Nant yr Arian Centre, however having also alked in this area I fel that there is more conflict between the MB'ers and walkers than with motorised users. Some of them can be very agressive and threatening, and seem to have very little thought for anyone other than themselves.

I do feel that the report is thorough, but also think that it would have been easier working out which routes were being considered for TRO implementation if map references had been used in addition to the route numbers. I feel that the one thing that has not been considered is the effect these closures could have on the tourist industry in the area. There are many camp sites and bed and breakfasts that currently cater for the "off roaders", plus all the local shops and public houses that provide for them. Many of these businesses are already only just scraping a living and the loss of these customers could have a drastic effect on their future.

I hope that my views can be of some help, and are taken into account before any final decision is made. I would like to be kept informed of any future considerations.

HondaMan
08-10-08, 19:34
I just dont understand why they are so intent on shutting all these routes down, I have rode Strata Florida countless times and never seen a single other user, be it on foot, horse or cycle.

Just taken this from the Credigion County Council website:

The estimated length of public rights of way in Ceredigion is as follows:

miles
Public Footpaths 1038
Bridleways 316
BOATS 8
RUPPs 199
TOTAL: 1561

The website says RUPPs can no longer be used my motorised vehicles leaving only 8 miles of BOATS. So a walker can use 1553 miles of track without being bothered by a (legal) vehicle, yet they are still trying to shut the above down.

Sickening :spitfire

Timpo
08-10-08, 19:52
IIRC, there is only a short section of Byway on Strata, and I thought this was running on top of a UCR, which I envisage was there as the need for vehicles to pass in opposite directions, so the byway status enable a deviation of the UCR.

Recent times has seen huge damage by 4x4s on Strata, it is a disgrace. The scrotes have used it like a pay and play site.

Timpo.

adamneeds
08-10-08, 20:22
IIRC, there is only a short section of Byway on Strata, and I thought this was running on top of a UCR, which I envisage was there as the need for vehicles to pass in opposite directions, so the byway status enable a deviation of the UCR.

Recent times has seen huge damage by 4x4s on Strata, it is a disgrace. The scrotes have used it like a pay and play site.

Timpo.

i know was playing up here 2 weeks ago on the CCM looking foward to taking the GS soon
and parts were so rutted and so deep in mud it was a joke
and when they see a bike they expect you do to the hard work to go around them

:spitfire

but what chance do we have with only 8 miles left to play on

i thought we still had access to rupps?