Millau Bridge, Gorge du Tarn & Carcassonne 2009

Timhearn

Reaction score
I'm planning to go down through France to the Millau Bridge, ride the Gorge du Tarn and then head off to south West France for a couple of days around Rennes le Chateau before heading back - probably 6-7 days in all in June 2009. Planning to ferry from Portsmouth to Le Havre.

I have a 2008 1200 GS so I'm a roady and I've converted from sports bikes so I'm not a plodder. I'm south coast based.

I'm looking for a few like minded souls to make it a trip to remember. I have a couple of mates who are interested too.

Anyone interested?
Tim

Tim, I could be up for that:bounce1

Done that area in a cage years ago, and wd love to return on a bike:clap

Interested

Hi Tim,
i Would be very interested, i also have converted to a 2008 1200GS from a Hayabusa, when you have more details can you please let me have them. i have one problem i can only get away when school holidays are on but we can try to sort that problem when you have some dates
Brian
PS not a teacher just take the brats to school

Possibly me as well.

A few of us want to go down and do Millau/Tarn Gorge as we missed it out this year (last month).

But I also wan't to go back and ride the Route Napoleon again.

So many roads,so little time !!

I could be up for this, as long as you don't intend to sleep under canvas.

I have a son living in Bedhampton, so if you want to arrange a meet over a pint or few, I'm sure this could be arranged.

France

Hi All

Been through the area a few times, :thumb Could well be intrested in the trip, only hour up the road from you. Just have to see how a trip i'm planning fall into place or apart :blast Dont worry I know Miss Bee ( R1150GS) has six gears ! :augie

I would also be interested in that trip and coming back route napoleon as my work is grenoble based and spend alot time there,

I'm planning to go down through France to the Millau Bridge, ride the Gorge du Tarn and then head off to south West France for a couple of days around Rennes le Chateau before heading back - probably 6-7 days in all in June 2009.

Rennes le Chateau, ehh....? I take it that you're aware of the mystery? You might consider spending at least one night in the Logis de France in Alet-les-Bains.

This place is terrible.....:eek:

Attachments

• Rennes le Chateau4.jpg
    Rennes le Chateau4.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 741
Rennes le Chateau, ehh....? I take it that you're aware of the mystery? You might consider spending at least one night in the Logis de France in Alet-les-Bains.

This place is terrible.....:eek:

Ah, Knights Templar, the Priory of Sion and Nicholas Poussin - et in arcadia ego.

Think the "terrible" translation is a bit iffy - more like "awesome". It's a quote from the Old Testament somewhere isn't it? Jacob and his dream?

Would love to come with you guys...

Wow, a bit overcome with the response. I'll get to work on a plan over the next couple of weeks and post some thoughts. If anyone has done this before (cos I haven't) any recommendations would be welcome, especially about distances per day and best stayovers enroute. (I was thinking LeMans, Limoges then somewhere around Gorge du Tarn.
I'm not familiary with route Napoleon so some info would be great.
Yep, I am a sado with regards Holy Grail and all that rubbish hence the trip to Rennes le Chateau and surrounding area but there are also some great roads around there apparently.
My ideal would be to go down in June but I guess half term week would work(not sure what those dates are but think its May sometime).
If there's a bunch of us, we'll need to book the ferry early to get space and cabin.
As Im getting older, it will be B&B not under canvas, preferably within staggering distance of bar and restaurant.
Thanks for all your responses
Tim

Wow, a bit overcome with the response. I'll get to work on a plan over the next couple of weeks and post some thoughts. If anyone has done this before (cos I haven't) any recommendations would be welcome, especially about distances per day and best stayovers enroute. (I was thinking LeMans, Limoges then somewhere around Gorge du Tarn.
I'm not familiary with route Napoleon so some info would be great.
Yep, I am a sado with regards Holy Grail and all that rubbish hence the trip to Rennes le Chateau and surrounding area but there are also some great roads around there apparently.
My ideal would be to go down in June but I guess half term week would work(not sure what those dates are but think its May sometime).
If there's a bunch of us, we'll need to book the ferry early to get space and cabin.
As Im getting older, it will be B&B not under canvas, preferably within staggering distance of bar and restaurant.
Thanks for all your responses
Tim

Le Mans is a bit of a dump to be honest.

Stayed there last month.

Orleans is better or Angers,depending on routes etc.

With ref to Millau,I was planning on staying here last month until we changed our route.

The Route Napoleon is a must.

We stayed in Castellane,which is about 30 miles into the route starting in the south at Grasse (just north of Nice)at the Grand Hotel Du Levant
which was fab

20081006-86sbdig8sgms7gsi63811k7t89.jpg

as was the view out the window :

Le Mans is a bit of a dump to be honest.

Stayed there last month.

Orleans is better or Angers,depending on routes etc.

With ref to Millau,I was planning on staying here last month until we changed our route.

The Route Napoleon is a must.

We stayed in Castellane,which is about 30 miles into the route starting in the south at Grasse (just north of Nice)at the Grand Hotel Du Levant
which was fab

as was the view out the window :

WOW!! That's amazing .. the view out of the window looks the same as the view from the street .. was it some sort of twlight zone hotel? :D

BTW .. what's this all about ..

some bloke off the street with a post count of 5 does an open invite trip and everyone is all over it.

I do an open invite trip (3000+ post count for crying out loud) and I am avoided like a lepper :mad:

:D

BTW .. what's this all about ..

some bloke off the street with a post count of 5 does an open invite trip and everyone is all over it.

I do an open invite trip (3000+ post count for crying out loud) and I am avoided like a lepper :mad

:D

You live in SLOUGH.

There are limits !!

grinning-smiley-010.gif

sounds good end of june is best for me as ive nw200 and iom tt in the weeks before keep us posted when you sort dates:bounce1

Latest Suggestions

Still polling mates views for dates and routes.

One suggestion has been to take the ferry from Portsmouth to Bilbao and then ride east through northern spain, over the Pyrenees and head towards the Gorge du Tarn, then do the reverse back to Bilbao.
Any views or past experiences welcome.

Dates: A couple of people want to do the run around a bank holiday to minimise the days they have to take off work so possibilities are May Bank Holiday or Witsun. I would prefer to avoid early May as the weather in the south is going to be less predictable so Witsun better for me.

By the way, I'm planning to be out tomorrow morning for a blast around Meon Valley / Alton / Andover / Winchester way if anyone wants to meet up at Loomies for a quick blast around?

Tim

Back
Top Bottom