OIL TYPES - mineral, semi/full synthetic

notadrop

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After the post 600 mile oil debate I went in search............. Hallelujah brothers and sisters I have seen the light!!!
The link below I found to be interesting, with technical links if you want them. Gives you a good grounding in mineral/semi & full synthetic oils how to use and what is good for what...
http://www.fernblatt.com/longhurst/engineoil_bible.html#blackdeath

Notadrop:

I think that's one of the best simple explanations into oils that I've seen, that certainly answers some questions.

Another oil subject:

Does everyone stick to the recommended oil change intervals or change the oil more regularly than 10,000km (6,000 miles)?

Given the fact that 10/40 semi synthetic is not all that expensive, I'm going for oil changes every 3k or so - a lot cheaper than a worn out engine. Filter change every 6k.

My GS has burnt about 1 litre of oil in the first 3k - how does this compare to others?

Carl

Carl,

It was my idea to halve the oil changes as well - every 5,000 km instead of 10. Again, oil only but not filter.

BMW say that the maximum oil consumption should not exceed 1 litre per 1000 km. (600 miles).

Mine now has 3800km on the clock. Since the first 1000km oil change, I have added half a litre. That equates to something like 180ml per 1000 km.

Dave,

Looks like our oil consumption is about the same then - mine is 1 litre in 3,300 miles (5280 km) - about 190ml/1000km.

What abot gear/shaft oil - I was inrending to leave that to 10000km service?

Carl

On the subject of frequency I find that when the oil gets black and the engine gets noisy then I change it, always with a filter and alway at 6k regardless.
I find that I change every 4-6k and the rest I leave to scheduled services the majority of which I do myself.

Steve

Carl:

You can tell I'm a new GS convert - I forgot that there's not just engine oil to change. :doh To be honest, I have no idea whether it's an advantage to change that more regularly or not.

Does anybody have more experience with gear / final drive oil?

Steve:

Are you using mineral oil still or synthetic?

twice is nice

Hello all

I've just done an oil and filter change (4000 miles) and will do likewise again at 6000 miles. The oil used being Castrol GTX 10/40. At 6000, semi will be used.
With winter coming, oil will be changed every 1K.
cheers
Bob:beer:

Bob,

BMW design their engines for 6000 mile oil changes. I guess we have to give them the benefit of the doubt that they might just know a little bit more about it than most of us. So unless you're an engineer with relevant experience and know something that BMW don't (if so perhaps you can enlighten the rest of us) isn't it a little over the top to change the oil every thousand miles ?

Oily Stuff

It is a never ending debate.

Which oil to use, and how often to change it.

Have a look at the website mentioned in another post - it contains good information

I work for a large car manufacturer, and how we work it is like this:-

When someone is looking for a car, they want one that is going to be cheap to maintain. This results in the quest for longer and longer service intervals. In order to achieve this, we turn to better oils (but these are more expensive), larger oil filters, and bigger sump capacities (although this is not always feasable), as well as better engineering of the engines.

All our durability work is carried out at continuous operation, or very close to it. The cars do not see continuous stop/start operation, but do see a long run that enables the engine to get up to operating temperature - this is the only way we can put enough miles on the car in a short enough time!)

It is common knowledge that constant stop-start driving can wear an engine quicker than constant high speed driving - this is a major contributor of black sludge.

I'd rather buy a 40,000 mile 5 year old car than a 5,000 mile 5 year old.

What you will find if you read the small print, ALL manufacturers (Including BMW Bikes) reccomend that these service intervals are reduced if the vehicle is used in extreme conditions. Cold start/short journey is an extreme condition.

Considering the low cost of oil and a filter , there is absolutely no harm in changing the oil early. I halve all my oil changes, changing the oil & filter in my car every 5,000 miles (It's a Turbo, so I use synthetic). On my last car, the head gasket failed at 100,000 miles due to a machining flaw in the head (and probably due to the fact that I drove the wheelnuts off it. I had changed the oil at 5,000 miles on this car since my father bought it at 6,000 miles. The camshafts looked like new, there was no dirt in the engine, it was as clean as a whistle. Nuff said.

On My 2001 GS, I changed the oil at 9,000 miles (Last service was 6,000 miles). I refrained from using synthetic, as the engine has still not bedded in, and is using oil at the rate of about a litre every 2,500 miles. I will wait until the oil consumption falls off before I change to synthetic, but I will still change it at 3,000 mile intervals.

Also, if it says to change the oil at 10,000 miles or every 12 months, then do it! if you do less than 6,000 a year, then you need to change the oil every 6 MONTHS, not 10,000 miles!

Changing the oil at half the regular service interval has seen me good on all my cars, vans and bikes.

Always use a good quality oil, and a grade that is reccomended for that engine by the manufacturer. It is not wise to deviate from a reccomended oil grade - it can cause all manner of problems - an engine can suffer high oil pressure as well as low. Always change the filter.

One last point - NOT ALL ENGINES CAN USE SYNTHETIC!!

Check that your engine can take fully synthetic oil before using it.

Enjoy!

Sump quantity

A very basic question. I've just changed my oil and filter half way between 6,000 and 12,000 services. I searched my owners hand book but was unable to find anywhere how much I should stick in. The maintenance manual I downloaded had it in American quarts. The workshop of the dealer I brought the bike from (better not mention them) were unable to help!!!!!!!!stating they just filled to half way up the sight glass ran the engine and then checked. I pre-filled the filter and went for this method but to satisfy my curiosity can someone tell me how much should have gone in??

PS Somewhere recently I saw a web site for the full BMW workshop manual. Where was it???

oil-heads

who's tryed baby oil, i hear it leave's the bike very tender?????

I spent ages researching this, I suggest that you save money and do your engine a favour; run a fully synthetic oil and change it at the suggested service intervals - the full synth achieves its viscosity rating without the use of polymer additives - these are the critters that break-down and degrade your oil as soon as you start touse it. I use Mobil Sport 15W50 (car oil)(Mobil UK has confirmed that it's the same as the bike oil and I can get it in Halfords) for my GS and for my HD.

Andi

Do not use synthetic oil until well run in. The better lubrication properties of fully synthetic will prevent proper bedding in of components together - the result will be heavier oil usage and possibly less smooth running. I'll make the switch to fully synthetic at somewhere between 12 and 20k (miles).

Carl.

Dave Barrett wrote:

"BMW say that the maximum oil consumption should not exceed 1 litre per 1000 km. (600 miles)."

1L/600m.......Bloody Hell! I think I'd be asking for a motor with piston rings.

Does anybodys bike actually use oil to this extent?

I bought my GS1150 when 12 months old with 10k miles on the clock.

I added approx. 600ml per 1000 miles (in 200ml slugs) until 15k miles.

After owning Jap bikes with zero oil consumption I was quite worried until I read the manual and did some research on the web.

Apparently Porsche 911 engines consume lots of oil. Perhaps its something about boxer engines?

Now, at 17k miles, I am adding about 300ml per 1000 miles.

Hopefully after the 18k service oil [1] be adding less.

[1] round of applause for the awful pun

boxer said:
1L/600m.......Bloody Hell! I think I'd be asking for a motor with piston rings.

Does anybodys bike actually use oil to this extent?

To be fair, I'd also be rather panicky if mine used oil at such an alarming rate. :eek:

In practice, it would appear that most people's bikes use somewhere in the region of 200ml / 1000km, or about a fifth of the quoted maximum during the first 10 to 15,000 km.

The following may also be of interest:

http://www.micapeak.com/bmw/gs/gs_tel2.html#breakingin

This also mentions the smoky start-ups which was mentioned in the "New Toy" post from yesterday.

I seem to put in about 500ml per 1000 miles. Now there's a nice mixture of imperial and metric.

Back
Top Bottom