HELP 1st time off road in derbyshire?

baldycop

Reaction score
My brother and i have just bought a couple of dirt bikes for green laning.
Both had a shitty year me divorced with 4 kids, him widowed at 36 with 1.
So treated ourselves and looking at going green laning in Derbyshire over 25/6th oct his wedding anniversary:nenau.
Any recommendations on what trails to ride where to stay etc? Looking at either bed and breakfast or even camping cos we is ard:augie
what do we need to take with us for the actual off roading?
Getting dr350 and dr 400
Thanks guys

Make sure you have the right gear (mx boots etc), a sense of humour, and wiggle a carrot in front of the Derbyshire lads :thumb

Best to be shown around the area as the TRO's are enforced on some of the lanes.

Pm Skygod (Gaz) and see if he's around. I should be able to get out on the Sat till 3pm or the Sunday if ya don't mind a bit of company.

Stick on the Derbyshire section and you'll get someone out with ya who knows the area :thumb

Hi Tim, I`m waiting to find out if my contract next week takes me away over the weekend but if it doesnt I can be your tour guide for the Saturday.
I will be on my GS but you should still find some challenging lanes.
:thumb2

If Gaz (SkyGod) is other wise detained I'm sure some of us UKGS'er/LARF-Online blokes could help you out.

Join up with Larf as well, there are plenty of guys/girls on both sites but Larf is much more Midlands and trail riding focused.

If Gaz (SkyGod) is other wise detained I'm sure some of us UKGS'er/LARF-Online blokes could help you out.

Join up with Larf as well, there are plenty of guys/girls on both sites but Larf is much more Midlands and trail riding focused.

A shameless plug there :augie:augie:augie

He's right though :thumb

So treated ourselves and looking at going green laning in Derbyshire over 25/6th oct his wedding anniversary:nenau.
Any recommendations on what trails to ride where to stay etc? Looking at either bed and breakfast or even camping cos we is ard:augie
Getting dr350 and dr 400
Thanks guys

well for the actual offroading

i never leave without

a camel bag with full bladder it can be hard work
lunch-bannana jam sandwich snickers bar malt loaf
and spare dry t-shirt/jumper
first aid kit and whistle ICE
os map and compass ICE
basic tools to get at the airbox-remove spark plugs-tighten chain sump plug
some carry accelerator and clutch cables.
wd40 water and electrics need i say more
gaffer tape
and a selection of zip ties used once to hold my number plate in place for 80 mile ride home.

dont dail 999 on mobile use 122 gets a signal regardless of area and quicker then 999

but have fun:thumb

well for the actual offroading

i never leave without

a camel bag with full bladder it can be hard work
lunch-bannana jam sandwich snickers bar malt loaf
and spare dry t-shirt/jumper
first aid kit and whistle ICE
os map and compass ICE
basic tools to get at the airbox-remove spark plugs-tighten chain sump plug
some carry accelerator and clutch cables.
wd40 water and electrics need i say more
gaffer tape
and a selection of zip ties used once to hold my number plate in place for 80 mile ride home.

dont dail 999 on mobile use 122 gets a signal regardless of area and quicker then 999

but have fun:thumb

No spare inner tube and repair kit ?...:confused:

Thanks for the advice lads hoping to pic up my DRz 400e later tonight:aidan
Brother just picking up his drz400 s as we speak.
Please feel free to keep sending more advice.
Hopefully we will rock up in Bakewell saturday.
Gaz will be in touch if okay and thanks for the offers:thumb2
Feck im so excited.

Getting dr350 and dr 400
Thanks guys

Busy that weekend but will be out and about with Rushy in the coming weeks ...He's also new to trail riding ...your more than welcome to join us :thumb2

As Flip mentioned above keep your eye on the Peaks section there are a great bunch of lads always make you feel welcome :thumb2

Get your self a 21" front tube as a spare this will fit front and rear ... and a set of stumpy tyre levers and puncture repair kit and have a practice puncture repair using only tools you will carry on the trail at home .Trust me you will get a flat and you can't repair it your f**ked :D

I actually live in coventry and will be trying it out in warwickshire hopefully on Sunday, but no doubt will return to derbyshire and am deffo up that weekend.
Was going to take my gs's tyre repair kit, but of course only really anygood with tubeless tyres, Doh.
What about tyre slime or whatever its called that any good?

My CRM came with slime in the tubes & it was a PITA when I wanted to change the tyres as the stuff bungs up the valve when you try to let the air out (as it's meant to when you get a puncture...). However, The old tyre was on there for 3yrs with a 4" nail in it & was used on road & off & never lost pressure. I was pretty impressed that there was no problem until I was in a postion where I had most control & an ability to deal with it ie: in my garage & not on a shitty/wet hillside in the middle of nowhere.

I wouldn't dream of putting it into the GS tyres, though. Being tubeless, it'll be all over the place when I want to change the tyres. At least the tubes keep it from going everywhere...

I actually live in coventry and will be trying it out in warwickshire hopefully on Sunday, but no doubt will return to derbyshire and am deffo up that weekend.
Was going to take my gs's tyre repair kit, but of course only really anygood with tubeless tyres, Doh.

Have fun on Sunday :thumb2

The down side of trail riding is that it is quite common to get Puntures :(I have been out before and had two in one day :eek:Thats why IMHO its best to learn how to mend one quickly ...Practice is the only way ,you can fit heavy duty tubes this helps a lot but at the end of the day you will still have them every now and again :nenau Slime is a waste of time because if you get a compression puncture the tube will slit and the hole will be to big to repair its self :thumb2
You can buy a small fender bag that will fit all you need ,front tube ,levers ,puncture repair kit,I also carry a double ended spanner that fits front and rear wheel you'll get one from most good offroad stores ...

Its always a good idea to ride in a small group makes the day a lot more fun...
take it in turns riding ahead opening gates this keeps the ride moving and if you have any breakdowns everyone mucks in and gets you rolling again :clap

If you take to trail riding then it may be worth using mousses in your tyres. These are like a foam inner tube that can't be punctured, the downside is that they are not up to doing loads of raod work as they will overheat and break down (granulate) quicker.
A well lubed set off these should last a couple of seasons.

This is the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.lgracing.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=2936

If you take to trail riding then it may be worth using mousses in your tyres. These are like a foam inner tube that can't be punctured, the downside is that they are not up to doing loads of raod work as they will overheat and break down (granulate) quicker.
A well lubed set off these should last a couple of seasons.

This is the kind of thing I mean:

http://www.lgracing.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=2936

Spike

So much road work needed in the peaks to get a decent loop :( don't think they would last very long at all ...Great for the Hare and Hounds ,Enduro events :thumb2

Baldycop good idea to carry a spare set of brake and clutch levers :thumb2

Spike

So much road work needed in the peaks to get a decent loop :( don't think they would last very long at all ...Great for the Hare and Hounds ,Enduro events :thumb2

Baldycop good idea to carry a spare set of brake and clutch levers :thumb2

it's true that you can do lots of road work in the peaks on a easy loop,
thus more suited to a enduro,
plus it's worth remembering that mousses give a match for a tyre pressure, ie you can get different ones "soft ot hard"
i've been out many of time where we come across all sort of lanes where some lads let there tyres down to suit what we are doing at the time , then re inflate then after finishing a certain part of a route.
this can not be done using mousses ,
in saying that saves the pain in the neck if you get a puncture while your out:D.. which is not nice at 4.30 pm on a January night 10 miles away from your VAN while it's pissing down at 2 c after a long hard day on the bike.:D

so try them out see what you think on the lanes your going to do:thumb2

Getting all set, got the bikes, arranged to meet gary (skygod) on saturday, ordered more kit and bits and bobs, really am looking forward to it, and if its half as much fun as i think it will be then in for a great weekend.
If anyone is available on the sunday for couple of hours possibly be up for that as well:D
Thanks for all the help and advice lads:thumb

Fantastic day out fellas.

Thanks to Gaz for leading.

Hopefully see ya around these parts for another ride out soon :thumb

Thanks to Gaz and Phil absolutely top time, learnt loads about riding off road, and my brother and I are still aching:D
Was more fun than a night locked in a room with angelina Jolie and kylie and an industrial tub of chocolate sauce.:augie
Thanks again guys, hopefully the start of more off roading fun:thumb

Back
Top Bottom