Suspension setting - What's yours??

DLM

I have just taken delivery of my 650 GS, and want to fiddle a little with the rear suspension knob. Mostly I will be doing on road riding in the city, and some trips but mostly on good road condition.

I weight about 100 kg and ride mostly alone, no luggage.....does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

I recommend going to a place that knows what they're doing. There's bound to be a decent suspension place near you.

Or read one of the really really good suspension 101's on here and/or on that interweb thingy...... Ging gang googley, or summat!!!

;)

But, it is not that difficult! The adjustment is done by just turning the knob clockwise or counterclockwise.....what I meant was if anyone already has had some experiences on this particular bike.....:thumb

DLM,

Its not that hard! The rear suspension travel is 170mm. When you are sitting on the bike the it should only be compressed between 1/4 to 1/3rd (40 to 60mm approx)of the max travel (170mm). Get a mate to hold the bike straight, get a tape and measure from the ground to a fixed point on the bike (bottom of the muffler openning is good). Next you sit on the bike with you feet on the pegs (be near a wall to steady yourself) now get your mate to measure the same referance points again. Adjust the preload until your weight compresses the rear between 40 to 60mm. Adjusting the preload is the easy part.....its the dampening that is a pain (which you may have to increase a tad). Make sure tyou record any adjustments you make so that you can return to the "original" positions if you stuff it up! This method has worked for me on numerous road and dirt bikes for many years. Good luck and safe riding.

Back
Top Bottom