Serow Advice - what should I pay?

wader

I'm toying with the idea of getting one of these to commute on, and double up as a bit of fun every now and again.

First question, is it a good commuter?

Second, I've seen one in Leeds, C reg 77,000km for £975 (now lowered to £895). Is it likely to be worth that much with all those miles?!

http://www.carlward-motorcycles.co.uk/bikes.htm

Thanks for any feedback!

Rob

Would be ok for short distance as long as you don't want to v fast and are not 6' tall!!!
They do seem to fetch good money as still popular for long distance trials.

Would be ok for short distance as long as you don't want to v fast and are not 6' tall!!!
They do seem to fetch good money as still popular for long distance trials.

Er, I am 6ft. It's for a 25mile round trip every day. Time for a moped?!

Pay no attention to what he says above about them only being good for short distance :D I'm 6ft tall, and I rode mine to Edinburgh and back (500 mile round trip) a couple of winters back. I hardly used motorway, managed to hold around 55mph cruising and returned easily 90mpg. It was also great fun in the snow around Eskdalemuir. They are ideal for greenlaning, and very reliable. They are a bit on the small side if taking a passenger. Service items are also easy to source.

AS for values, I only have a June copy of Glass's guide, it shows the prices for a 1990/91 as being retail @ £945 and part ex @ £505. It lists an 04/53 as retail £2700 and part ex @ £2200.

I hardly used motorway, managed to hold around 55mph cruising and returned easily 90mpg.

AS for values, I only have a June copy of Glass's guide, it shows the prices for a 1990/91 as being retail @ £945 and part ex @ £505. It lists an 04/53 as retail £2700 and part ex @ £2200.

So at 77,000 km, £750 might be a sensible offer. Is 55 it's top speed? I'm not too bothered about speed, but acceleration at the lights - would it beat the average car?

One thing that excites me is the prospect of having a bike with a kick start again! Thanks everyone - this is all really helpful info for me!

Top speed for me (I'm an 18 stone bat fastard) was an indicated 70 mph (clock was Kph)
My bike was a 2004 model, didn't have a kick start. Around town it would keep up with the traffic, and out accelerate the average car up to about 45-50mph

Mine was 1991, electric start.
I don't remember it having a kick start.
Fine for riding around town but not so good for single lane A roads as it couldn't keep up with the traffic.
Good for off road bimbling and I thoroughly enjoyed owning it.

Thanks all, I think i'll have a pop for £750, sounds like it might be suited to the job - no road on the way to work is above a 40mpg speed limit. The C reg i'm looking at has a kick start, must be one of the last.:bounce1

Nice pics fatal, wish I could afford one like that.

£895 sounds good, £750 sounds better

Paid £1000 for ours, might find an upgrade of chain and sprockets helps, also some PRO- TAPER BARS, will transform it, on or offroad.

SEROW . .

. .note: there are 2 XT225s about, one is a Serow the other is not.

Back
Top Bottom