Test rode a 990 today .......

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
... what a fantastic bike.

From my 02 1150 it felt light, nimble, powerful and involving. I loved it! The motor is stunning.

Didn't like the snatchy EFI at low speeds, lack of fuel/gear indicators and the cumbersome 2 filler cap arrangement, but I could live with those issues.

I think this will be my next bike! The 1150 felt like a 60 ton barge on the way home!!

IMGP3363.jpg

IMGP3360.jpg

No dont do it....You'll end up bunking off work and grinning all day....trust me I know :augie:augie

Attachments

• katie.jpg
    katie.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 1,136
... what a fantastic bike.

From my 02 1150 it felt light, nimble, powerful and involving. I loved it! The motor is stunning.

Didn't like the snatchy EFI at low speeds, lack of fuel/gear indicators and the cumbersome 2 filler cap arrangement, but I could live with those issues.

I think this will be my next bike! The 1150 felt like a 60 ton barge on the way home!!

IMGP3363.jpg

Nice one Dave:thumb2
Biggest problem is deciding which dealer gets your business,not a lot to chose between Mounter's and Fowlers :confused: I've yet to hear a good word about either :(
In the top pic you appear to be flat footing with both feet-is that the case? Was the 990 lower than your 1150 or have you been sleeping in a grow bag ?

Nice one Dave:thumb2
Biggest problem is deciding which dealer gets your business,not a lot to chose between Mounter's and Fowlers :confused: I've yet to hear a good word about either :(
In the top pic you appear to be flat footing with both feet-is that the case? Was the 990 lower than your 1150 or have you been sleeping in a grow bag ?

Mounters are the better of the two ,and to be fair the guys out the back "shed" are good.Just wish they had one or two of rydales guys out the front ,still cant say I want to go there to just check stuff out though.:(

With my 1200GSA approaching 2yrs and over 14k miles I've always wondered if I was missing something with a KTM Adv. I owned a KTM 250 EXC-F, very different I realise, but bugger me it was such a hoot.

Having read the various tests in TBM and Bike, I decided to email Bike to ask why they consistently rated the KTM above the BMW.

"Why do the mags rate the KTM higher than the BMW? I can't speak for all of
them, obviously, but having been a part of Bike's most recent trailie test
this year, and another one back in 2005, my take on it is this: the GS is
still the better touring trailie, a bit more comfortable, bit more
sophisticated and civilised in the way it does stuff, loads more toys and
gadgets to play with. But the KTM is just a bit more sheer fun - it's a
rawer, simpler, more aggressive ride. The engine spins up faster and sounds
better, the steering feels lighter and more accurate, the brakes are
tremendous, the whole bike feels more manageable and more excitable. It's
not flawless by any means, but in both tests the agreed mood among all the
testers was that we wanted the KTM more because it was more fun, creating
more of an emotional bond - but still hugely practical and flexible with it.

That's not to say the KTM is the only good trailie and every other one is
scrapheap fodder, not in the slightest. Group tests are harsh environments
for every bike, and they're not there to provide the single, ultimate
correct answer for every possible bike/rider combination. You obviously get
on brilliantly with your GS, and that's what matters. I don't know if you've
had a go on the 990 - you might like it, or it might not be your thing at
all. Road tests can't predict that individual bond; we can't tell you what
you'll get on best with. We just try to provide an independent, thorough,
comparison by putting all the bikes in the same neutral territory.

Err hope that's not too heavy. Point is, if you love it, ride it and love
riding it, then why change it?

Cheers for now,

MFG

Martin Fitz-Gibbons

Road Tester,
Bike magazine"

Sums it up nicely. The BMW is a great tourer, lots of gadgets, can go anywhere and provide hours of entertainment, however the KTM is a little more offroad biased, and a just more fun. There's a good video review between the GSA and the KTM on youtube by MCN...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnAZGsXEA9A&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnAZGsXEA9A&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Glad you enjoyed it retroman, they really are awesome bikes to ride. I have my heart set on a superduke, but I think I aught to try an adventure again just to make sure :thumb2

Some interesting comments ...

Steve, yes I can get both feet flat on the ground and I'm 5'10". I loved the fact that the KTM so light and easy to manage, and I agree with MFG's comments above ... I should say that the brakes and WP suspension are fantastic, in particular the WP setup is better even than the new Wilbers shocks up on my 1150.

I'm going to test ride a 800GS and a 1200 ADV, but they will have to be outstanding to beat the KTM, plus there's no bleedin' dealer backup for new BMWs in South Wales!!

Some interesting comments ...

Steve, yes I can get both feet flat on the ground and I'm 5'10". I loved the fact that the KTM so light and easy to manage, and I agree with MFG's comments above ... I should say that the brakes and WP suspension are fantastic, in particular the WP setup is better even than the new Wilbers shocks up on my 1150.

I'm going to test ride a 800GS and a 1200 ADV, but they will have to be outstanding to beat the KTM, plus there's no bleedin' dealer backup for new BMWs in South Wales!!

Hear what you're saying about BMW dealer back up in South Wales :rolleyes:
I rode the 800GS it's a lively little thing and a nice package-a bit lacking in quirks and originality for my tastes but a good bike nonetheless,not sure it would do the long distance thing with luggage as well as I'd like either.
I'm biased when it comes to the 12ADV,there are well documented issues but the single problem I've had with mine turned out to be a cloud with a silver lining:D I'm going to take the 990ADV out very soon,I did hope there might be some news on the 1190 version sometime soon-we'll have to wait and see I guess.

I'm going to test ride a 800GS and a 1200 ADV, but they will have to be outstanding to beat the KTM,

will be waiting for your comparison.

Did you notice any throttle jerkiness in low gear/rpm n 990Adv? I read some complaints on ON/OFF kind of throttle responce below 3000rpm.

will be waiting for your comparison.

Did you notice any throttle jerkiness in low gear/rpm n 990Adv? I read some complaints on ON/OFF kind of throttle responce below 3000rpm.

It's around 5000RPM throttle cam and 16t sprocket helps solve this.

It's a real bike compared to a GS :thumb

Try and ride it sensibly and if you can you'll be the first:cool:

I rode the 800GS it's a lively little thing and a nice package-a bit lacking in quirks and originality for my tastes but a good bike nonetheless,not sure it would do the long distance thing with luggage as well as I'd like either.

Same here, I really enjoyed riding the 800, there's so much feedback about what the wheels are doing, even compared to the KTM I thought. As much fun in the twisties, but there's nowhere near as much grunt as that 990 V-twin. I kind of see the KTM as a middle ground between the 12GS and the 8GS, it's got the fun and light-feel of the 800, but then the grunt (and then some) and the touring ability of the 1200.

I still think the 990's probably the best of the 3, just for the grin factor, but keeps the practical aspects of the 1200.

But what do I know about practical aspects, I'm looking at superdukes :D

does the 16t front sprocket effect the already thirsty nature of the 990 ??

does the 16t front sprocket effect the already thirsty nature of the 990 ??

Who cares:D

Sorry I honestly don't know some say it saves others don't

I just welly the thing and makes it smoother:D

10 minute warm up is also a good idea:thumb

+1:thumb2 the Adventure is much smoother with these Mods than the 990SM I had which was Brutal,the ADV has a smoother power delivery with the Mods reccommended by HRH and is an absolute Hoot to ride,it was a close call between one of them and my 08 GSA ,but the Red Did it for me:D Both Great Bikes .......................Wait till i show you my Mental H1A!!!!!!

+.......................Wait till i show you my Mental H1A!!!!!!

Naw show us noo:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4gtxcepLtU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I4gtxcepLtU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Couple of issues

My younger brother's got one.... a 2008 990. I told him to get one, as he was moving up from 650gs and was considering either a 1200 gs (non adv) or the ktm, and in my mind it was a no-brainer. I ride it a lot, and have been tempted to swap my 1150gs ever since I test rode a ktm 950 adv.

The things that keep stopping me are:

jerkiness of the fuel injection at low speeds.... it's bloody terrible, and if you stand up a lot on dirt trails etc. it drives you mad, particularly when compared with the smoothness of the 1150gs. They've done a few software mods, and put a different cam in the throttle, but it's still crap! (the 950 was great)

Tank size.... I've got an adv tank on my 1150 and it's great being able to do 300 mile stints, if i'm feeling like it! And also never getting those panic attacks wondering where the next petrol station is!

Weather/wind protection was is also poor compared to the 1150.

On the plus side.... in terms of ability, agility, and pure riding excitement it's the best bike on the planet as far as i'm concerned.

I need both really!

Back
Top Bottom