France May 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
I plan to run a basic trip to France in 2009.

I would like to gear it towards UKGSers who have either:

(a) Never toured much

(b) Never been to France much

(c) May perhaps have never been abroad on their bikes

It is not going to be 'hard core' mileage but (depending on your confidence / normal daily ride-out*) it may push some people. But that is part of the fun, surely? It will have to include one 350 mile day to come home. But, if punters wish, much of that can be knocked off on a motorway.

What's involved?

First off, I am not a professional tour operator. It's just a jaunt, nothing more.

Timing? Probably late spring or early summer. Possibly around the later May Bank Holiday.

Four days away. Possibly, Friday, Saturday, Sunday and the Bank Holiday Monday.

Out and back on the Chunnel. OK it's more expensive than the ferry but it's less of a faff and the hour saved is handy. Book your own tickets.

Probably two hotels. Both Logis de France, The most southerly one near Dijon, from where we will be returning, hence the 350 odd mile run to Calais. I will make the reservations for everyone.

Cost: If you share a room and don't go too far off-piste on the beers / a la carte, it will not be huge. I am not though going to compete with the Formula 1 or homogenised hotels, which would be cheaper. I could do some likely costings in the New Year if anyone is desperate to know.

Deposit: I will (probably) require a deposit, only because I will need to secure the rooms in what are family hotels. Again, I can let you know this in the New Year.

Number of tourists? As this is geared to non-regular tourists I would like to limit it to six bikes. Pillions are welcome.

What to expect?

Weather, I can't do much about it, sorry.

Roads: A very good balance of major and minor roads, with a preference on D (local) roads. There will be no off-roading and nothing that you could not easily ride on a scooter, a GS, an R1 or a fully loaded Goldwing.

Preplanned routes in Excel and GPS (Garmin) format with suggestions for days out, if you want to do your own thing.

Nobody is forced to ride with me / the group. If you want to do your own thing, that's fine and we are all grown up. Everyone will know where the hotel is....but do bring a decent map (many often forget).

What do you need?

A sense of humour and probably a nagging fear that there will definitely not be petrol.

A decent map or two (I can help you if you are unsure) preferably of the bit of France we are going to.

Passport and documents. I can help you if you are unsure, the police certainly will should you be unfortunate enough to meet them in a professional capacity.

Medical and breakdown cover. It is a sodding long way to push a bent bike with a broken leg, after all. Seriously, you may be injured or fall ill (I have done both) and it will fall on your fellow tourists to help. That is so much easier if you have decent insurance, which covers you / your pillion - for the trip - on a motorbike of that capacity. There are lots of threads on the topic.

That's about it.

Post up on this thread if you are interested or have any questions.

PM if you prefer.

Richard

* If your normal day out is 30 or 50 miles and is a 'long way', with tea and lunch breaks, it will definitely push you...But that is the whole point of trying something new. All the routes will have major roads reasonably close and there is no shame attached to using them. It is not a marathon, nor is it a bimble.

Sounds good for an early break. I'm interested, no canoeing though.:augie

Blimey, a speedy response!

Excellent..... with or without canoeing you are welcome..... I for one am never canoeing again....bob down the river...it will be fun....ho ho.

that madmikey's sandbagging!

he's been on loads of the trips i've done :augie

Interested .....

Top stuff, Charlie....

We will end up in the hotel I took you to with Fothers, Roger and 'The faffer' (for the Saturday and Sunday nights) but with a one night stop-over (on Thursday) higher up France, just to reduce it a stretch. Great roads, as you know.

intreasted

never been abroad on a bike yet

Excellent. Just the sort of person I had in mind. Got to start sometime and (I hope) this will be as good a way as any.

that madmikey's sandbagging!

I suspect you might be right..... :D.... I am sure he hasn't forgotten my animal impersonations, ordering meals in the Picos with Judge etal.....

Hi

I could possibly be interested. Have not been abroad yet but was planning to go next year.

Thanks

Nigel

interested! I have never been far on my bike.

Look forward to it

How about extending it to a week near Tignes? :augie

Bump. What a cracking idea Wapping. :clap

If anyone reading this has a bike and has never done a trip abroad before, trust me you don't know what you're missing out on - it will probably be the best trip of your year, and one you will remember for the rest of your life. And a trip to France with a group of like minded GSers is the ideal way to get started.

I was going to PM you Wapping to offer to help out if numbers got a bit out of hand, but a group of us are already off to the Dordogne on Thursday 14th May 09 as it is. I know work is quiet, but it's not so quiet that I could justify 2 trips to France in the same month. :mmmm

Interested

Hi Richard,

I would be interested. Might persuade Physiojo to come along if you think her f650 would keep up. Would also mean you had two Nigel's on one trip is that allowed?

Regards,

well - Nigel.

Bump. What a cracking idea Wapping. :clap

If anyone reading this has a bike and has never done a trip abroad before, trust me you don't know what you're missing out on - it will probably be the best trip of your year, and one you will remember for the rest of your life. And a trip to France with a group of like minded GSers is the ideal way to get started.

I was going to PM you Wapping to offer to help out if numbers got a bit out of hand, but a group of us are already off to the Dordogne on Thursday 14th May 09 as it is. I know work is quiet, but it's not so quiet that I could justify 2 trips to France in the same month. :mmmm

Thanks for that.

Hi Richard,

I would be interested. Might persuade Physiojo to come along if you think her f650 would keep up. Would also mean you had two Nigel's on one trip is that allowed?

Regards,

well - Nigel.

Two Legin's on one jaunt....an easy way to have to remember at least one less name.

What a great idea to bring Physiojo along. The trip is designed for people who have no great touring experience, so why not? If her concern is the speed, then I will make sure she is OK.

I will try to work it out so that we have earlier departures than I would usually make, so building a lot of flexibility into the day. The truth is simple. Leave an hour earlier and you have one hour longer to get to where you are going. Spend two hours dawdling over lunch though and you will be up to 80 miles behind schedule.

Similarly, I plan to build in escape routes, if people get tired or the weather is truly horrible. There will be no shame attached to people using them. For every one that might dive off, there will still be 10 bods sat at home who have never been beyond Tesco or High Beach tea bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom