Garmin Powercables

Rob Farmer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
If anybody wants a Streetpilot III or Garmin GPS II, III or V power cable I'm making them up using a 'P' Plug, Screened cable and an In-line fuseholder. At the moment they come with a BMW style fuse and holder, the fuse is rated at 3 Amps, I may change this to take a glass fuse of a lower value, however, the glass fuses can be delicate but It's your choice.

£10 including post & Packing if you're interested.

Attachments

• streetpilot iii cable (medium).jpg
    streetpilot iii cable (medium).jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 847
Mike
Can you do these leads to have a 9-pin D connector and power leads suitable for one of the internal flying lead sockets from the power supply in the PC?
Rod

Rod,

I presume you were addressing me and not Mike?

If you mean the 'Hard Drive' Style connector then yes I can. BUT the power supply in a PC is a 'Switch Mode' unit that generates a saw tooth wave form. I'm not sure how this would work with your Garmin unit I know I wouldn't want to try it on mine....Quite happy to try it with yours though :D

Rob, you total utter barsteward!!!

I just spent 20 quid on a pukka Garmin jobbie.....

DOH!!!!!!!!

Ah well......

PS their cables are way thinner.....didnt measure them but I'd guess at .3 or .4 mil.......wasnt too impresed TBH but what the heck..it's their own kit so it's their fault.

Rob Farmer said:
If you mean the 'Hard Drive' Style connector then yes I can. BUT the power supply in a PC is a 'Switch Mode' unit that generates a saw tooth wave form. I'm not sure how this would work with your Garmin unit I know I wouldn't want to try it on mine....Quite happy to try it with yours though :D
I've done it like that Rob, it works perfectly.

SPIII at the computer with:
* 4-wire Garmin plug on one end
* 9-pin serial plug + hard drive power connector on the other end

It works great! Data connection + power from the pc, no batteries required.

My problem now is, that I have sold the SPIII and bought a 2610... which has an all different plug. And I don't think those new type plugs are available separately yet.

Cheers,
Michel

Here's what your PC-power-signal cable should look like:

Attachments

• img_3642.jpg
    img_3642.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 801
I've got one....

I already got one of these from Rob & have it hard wired into the bike battery. It's performed faultlessly & comes at just the right length to connect up & run under the l/h side of the tank, up the headstock & strap onto the handlebars. Very well sealed against the elements & the plug has gold plated contacts so they are also weatherproof.

What else can I say, at £10 they're excellent value.

I picked up a second SPIII cradle and ram mount from GPS warehouse near Hanworth the other day and the chappy was saying they now had USB connectors for the SPIII coming.....data tranfer and power in the same lead....that sounded like a damn good idea to me.

There's ya next challenge Rob :D

YES! Send me one! let me know how to pay you and the extra to send to Barcelona and I´ll have one. mines an SPIII on an adv

cheers

Rob

Would it be possible to do one with the B*W plug, for my GPS V please?
As I have an Adventure, it has a socket close by for such like items, though the cable would only need to be 40 cms or so, obviously taking into account of the steering lock.
If it's possible could you let me know the price including postage to Belgium please?

Cheers
John

My cable arrived today :D ..............excellently engineered piece of cable!

.......and to think my local BWM dealer wanted 116 Euros for a simular piece of cable :eek:, but nowhere near as good as Rob's!!!!!!!

Thanks Rob :clap :clap :clap .......an excellent deal mate :thumb

SP III Speaker outlet

Hi Rob,

Are you able to make up a Lead that runs between the speaker socket on the SP III to the Fly Lead on my Autocom Pro ?

The Socket on the Fly Lead is a Din Type size, 5 pin but not the same config as a Stereo socket, the Holes form a sort of Smiley Face if that makes sense..........:confused:

Cheers,

CC

CC,

I've just got myself an Autocom so I know just what you mean by the plug. I picked up a genuine Autocom Streetpilot lead at the same time as the main unit, it has a filter built into the lead to try and stop some of the interferance (doesn't work well on mine I can still hear the injectors clicking through the speakers) any lead you have needs an inline filter so it wouldn't be as easy as just making a lead up. I paid £32 + Vat for the genuine lead which would have been okay if it worked.

OK Rob,

So, now that you know how not to do it..........:D

Do think you may be able to improve on the Lead you bought, thereby recouping your costs after selling a few to us numpties?

Here's hoping>>>>>..........

CC

:cool:

Just a quick posting to let you know that I'm knocking these power leads on the head. The current batch of P Plugs have taken ages to arrive and the cable I use has just gone up in price again. I'm just going to make the leads up for the people who have ordered them and then call it a day.

:beerjug:

That's a shame........even with the increased costs couldn't you still make a go of it.............?? I'm sure that folk on here would be willing to pay the increase if they thought they were geting a good deal.....................

CC

:cool:

CC,

It's not the increased costs that concerned me, just the hassle from suppliers.

Back
Top Bottom