Norway

davegs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Anyone who's been what is the best month to go in?, we want to go up to near the top well inside the Artic Circle, hopefully when most of the snow has gone.
Any advice from any who've been apprciated.
Dave gs.

North Cape

I did North Cape in July 07. We had a blustery day when we actually got there but the snow we did see was on the glaciers further south that we did afterwards. Roads were clear everywhere we went though. Took a week riding up from Bergen up the E6 then another week riding back via the Lofoten Islands and then inland from Trondheim to Loms then back to Bergen. It rains in Bergen. Weather actually seemed to brighten generally as we went north but whether that is typical or luck I don't know.

TP

In june/july you are in the land of the midnight sun. Northern Lights are I think a night time effect so you are looking at some time of year when the sun is down.

TP

what time of year will ye most likely see the northern lights? at norkapp
am lookin at july for nxt year too..
ugg

From what I understand the Northern Lights tend to be seen in December/January.

Dave

Best time to go is Late June early July.

Less crowded overall.

Midnight Sun in Deepest Summer - June July August etc

Northern Lights Deepest Winter - December January etc but getting there on the bike can be tricky :eek:

Went in August a couple of years ago. Temperatures as far north as Bodo were in the high 20C's/low 30C's. Roads were empty because the Norweigans tend to head to the south coast for their summer holidays.
Was almost dark for about an hour at night as well.

Been to Norway on the bike a couple of times and would recommend July. Even then there was snow about 8 feet high at the sides of the road in the mountains. Not sure about this but heard that one road I road along had been blocked in June about a couple of weeks before I was there. This is probably more an issue further south in the more mountainous areas.

I think Dellis is right in saying that the northern lights are best in winter.

I was there late June, and had rain, rain, rain, rain and a bit more rain....:mad:

But that has nothing to do with Norway, it looks like I attract rain:augie

The only thing I can say, reading what other people have experienced, prepare for the worst, you can either have wonderful weather, or the worst you can imagine.

Casper

Living in this country and driving my 07 - GS 1200 I know for sure that I will always get a lot of weather all the time and is always prepared for that when heading for a trip for some days. You can not rely on the weatherforecast too much and if you want to drive in the sun......try Spain:rolleyes: but if you want to experience nature at its best (with a lot of weather) I would recommend the mountain passes heading down towards the fjords....or driving the Kystveien along the coast.

Prices ...yes it is expensive but sallaries are pretty good too....but I see the problem beeing a tourist. Bring a tent...bring the booze from your homecountry...and fish. Maybe a week in Norway driving your bike is better than staying 3 in Marbella...(the cost would probably be the same) but not the experience.

Good luck...but now we have winter..and my GS is catching up for the next season.

Fishing along the coast (saltwater) is for free ofcourse...and the possibility of catching fish is very good. When fishing in freshwater areas (especially in the mountains) you need to buy a daylicense. It might be obtained at the local gasstation,food store or help yourself box. Recommending using worms for bait and not any weird lures (bought in the EU area made in China..;) The mountaintrout is very good to eat and very shy...so approach these lakes very tenderly...Put som led at the end of the fishing line...a hook 30 cm above and put on a lot of worms and throw it all out ...when the line is stretching or moving in any way.....then pull back and dinner is alomost served. It tastes well if you fry it in a pan together with "rømme" and ofcourse a cold one to drink leaning back on your GS surrounded by total silence and enormous mountains all around you...

Good luck...By the way I went to UK this summer with my family and had a wonderful time in your fantastic country. A devoted UK fan forever.

Fishing along the coast (saltwater) is for free ofcourse...and the possibility of catching fish is very good. When fishing in freshwater areas (especially in the mountains) you need to buy a daylicense. It might be obtained at the local gasstation,food store or help yourself box. Recommending using worms for bait and not any weird lures (bought in the EU area made in China..;) The mountaintrout is very good to eat and very shy...so approach these lakes very tenderly...Put som led at the end of the fishing line...a hook 30 cm above and put on a lot of worms and throw it all out ...when the line is stretching or moving in any way.....then pull back and dinner is alomost served. It tastes well if you fry it in a pan together with "rømme" and ofcourse a cold one to drink leaning back on your GS surrounded by total silence and enormous mountains all around you...

Good luck...
Cheers chap. I love eating fish, but don't fish myself. Luckily Funners who I am going with fishes and doesn't eat it.:D
It's always been a bit chilly for fishing when I have been before (4 winters with the army).
This will be the first time I have got over during the suimmer. Looking forward to it.

By the way I went to UK this summer with my family and had a wonderful time in your fantastic country. A devoted UK fan forever.
Yeah I like it. There's so many places I love returning to or that I haven't been yet I seldom feel the need to travel much further than our shores tbh.
Having bought my 3rd GS I am kinda getting a wanderlust back again tho. They kinda do that don't they.:D

Anyone who's been what is the best month to go in?, we want to go up to near the top well inside the Artic Circle, hopefully when most of the snow has gone.
Any advice from any who've been apprciated.
Dave gs.

Hi Dave

I visited Norway in September (although didn't get up to Nordkapp), was a bit chilly but nothing unbearable.....only downside of Norway is cost....take your own food and booze....apart from that, Norway is quite possibly one of the most beautiful places on Earth.....:thumb

Hi Dave

.....only downside of Norway is cost....take your own food and booze.........:thumb

Here's Garfield coming off the ferry.......................... :augie

Al :thumb

Attachments

• mercedes_benz_axor_07_12_02.jpg
    mercedes_benz_axor_07_12_02.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 583
I went for two weeks begining of july - got as far north as andenes on lofoten islands..
one hour of rain during whole two weeks ..

going back in 2010 !! via denmark and sweden unfortunately ...cos the ferry to stavanger/bergen is no more
expensive? - yes

worth every penny/ore? - abso-bloody-lutely

Back
Top Bottom