GPS60, taking it apart, any done it?

richie

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Allihies again.. but off to Asia soon....
I am going to take the GPS apart. It works fine, but the buttons have all more or less given up. I guess there is a waterproof seal and then a touch pad. I'd like to clean it with switch cleaner then put it back together with silicon grease on the seals.

Anyone already done this.

Its over four years old, so not worth sending anywhere for repair...

Richie,

It's quite easy only thing to be aware of is the top rubber seal that has the GPS antenna this is silicon sealed to the plastic cover, so be gentle.

Also the ports that are on the back of the unit some are wired via plugs to the motherboard and one of them (The USB, I think) the connector is attached to the port then to the motherboard, so there not a lot of room to move.

Take it slowly and you'll see what I mean, It may also be worth checking the power contact pads to see if there starting to wear through is so put a wee blob of solder on them.

I personnelly wouldn't use switch cleaner as it can be quite aggresive, an alochol wipe maybe better.

HTH

Richie,

It's quite easy only thing to be aware of is the top rubber seal that has the GPS antenna this is silicon sealed to the plastic cover, so be gentle.

Also the ports that are on the back of the unit some are wired via plugs to the motherboard and one of them (The USB, I think) the connector is attached to the port then to the motherboard, so there not a lot of room to move.

Take it slowly and you'll see what I mean, It may also be worth checking the power contact pads to see if there starting to wear through is so put a wee blob of solder on them.

I personnelly wouldn't use switch cleaner as it can be quite aggresive, an alochol wipe maybe better.

HTH

Thanks roddy, if you've already done it...

Once its screws are removed without disconnecting the USB etc will I have enough room to clean.

Will then use silicon grease on the seals when I put it back together...

Sent my 60c back to Garmin for repair last week, was,nt going to bother but they quoted max 70quid, it wouldnt work on batterys n kept dropping maps (got it when they first came out so it was old)....

Got it back today...Well a refurbished unit, could,nt tell it apart from a new shop supplied one.
No charge taken from my bank as yet either....well pleased :thumb:thumb

Thanks roddy, if you've already done it...

Once its screws are removed without disconnecting the USB etc will I have enough room to clean.

Will then use silicon grease on the seals when I put it back together...

there isn't enough room to work with all the ports connected, put as there plugged in it's not too much bother to release them, and if memory serve's correct you can then take out the motherboard to clean the contacts properly.

I wouldn't use silicone grease to reseal the unit, use a good non-corrosive silicone (sealent) this will bond both the rubber seal and plastic case together giving a far superior seal.

Take your time it's not hard just be carefull of connections as they are small and when moving the case you can cause a wee bit of leverage on them if not careful

What I missed the last time was the USB, Power and additional aerial connectors that are on the back case are moulded into the back case, so this is why there connected using wires and sockets.

HTH

OK its apart no big deal thanks for the info:thumb2

Looks very clean but there is some evidence of water ingress...

Cleaned up the touch pad and PCB. Put it back together and will test this afternoon...

Then back apart and reseal joint, if all is OK

Back
Top Bottom