Oi Scooter Boys across the Sahara

Uinneag

I know this is long winded but please take time to read :thumb

No Africa or India this year for me as I need to spend the time at home hopefully building my extension so no plans and was thinking of what to do in 2010

Are some things ment to be or written in the stars:confused:

I got an e-mail last week regarding building a road in Gambia from a couple in Edinburgh.

For 20 years, Calum MacLeod toiled alone to build a road to his croft on the island of Raasay, near Skye.

He began the arduous job in the 1960s after failing to win public funds for an upgrade, and his exploits featured in the best-selling 2006 book Calum's Road by the Raasay-based author Roger Hutchison.

Now that story has inspired the building of a four-mile lifeline road for an impoverished part of Africa, cut off by rainwater for six months of the year.

Now I came up with the idea of a sponsored bike ride on my Katoom from Calums rd Raasay to Calums rd Gambia to help raise funds and selfishly have a an adventure myself.
I contacted Mairi in Ediburgh to ask what she thought of the idea and told her I wouldn't be doing it blind as I know some peeps the would give me plenty of advice as they had done this trip on ScootersShe passed on my e-mail to someone else

here it is

Dear Mairi and Johnny,

Mairi forwarded your email about the proposed sponsored bike ride across to The Gambia. What a small world it is. The Scooters across the Sahara lads also bought scooters for some of Stella's projects, (the village clinic and the school) Those scooters are still going strong and have been a huge help to us, that group have done wonderful things. It was Stella's wish that the road should be built as she hadn't succeeded in doing it before she died. I am sure that your friends would have known her.

The bike ride is a wonderful idea and if you should go ahead with it, we would give you as much support as possible in terms of coverage and accomodation etc. in The Gambia.

You'll all have to come to the ceilidh that we plan to hold at the opening of the road too!

With very best wishes,
Heather (Stella's sister)
:eek::eek::eek:

So Jan 2010 is a go go go:thumb2

:D Small world indeed.......we met Heather at Stella's memorial service a few months back, and as she says, we knew Stella very well - what an inspiratoinal and utterly dedicated lady she was and her lagacy deserves to live for many many years.

A very very worthy project and I'm sure a lot of the T.I.T.S team will jump up and down to help in any way......I doubt I'll be able to join you as I already have trips booked for then but if there's anything I can do, just shout.......It'll certainly be worth us having a chat on the background and what I know of the conditions though :)

One thing I would say very early on is a slight word of caution........

DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS!!

It will suck you in and it will be far far bigger than you can imagine right now.......DAMHIK ;)

GFI :thumb2

There's a defintie hint ...

... of a 'project' here ! While the ethos behind a solo ride is wonderful and a fitting tribute to both roads, to maximise the potential of this effort can I suggest you consider broadening the appeal :nenau

Many on here expressed interest in the TiTS trips but it has to be said, the Honda 90 is not everyones cup of tea; the chance to contribute to a worthy cause while doing an 'Adventure' trip on a 'real' bike would I'm sure attract significant interest.

Good luck if you persevere with your solo effort; I can at least assure you of the support of the TiTS :augie

Good luck to you and I look forward to reading about the preparation and trip its self over the coming 12 months.

I'm sure I know the answer before I ask it but ...

Now I came up with the idea of a sponsored bike ride on my Katoom from Calums rd Raasay to Calums rd Gambia to help raise funds and selfishly have a an adventure myself.

Can you just confirm we will giving to a cause in Africa or paying for your adventure?

Let us know as soon as you have a method of payment sorted :thumb2

My initial thought on this was raise a few bucks have a jolly and ride to Gambia.
Calums rd to Calums road.

Methinks I have opened up a
can-of-worms.jpg

:D:D:D
Meet up at Calums road Isle of Raasay on any day barring a Sunday in Jan 2010 as the ferry doesn't sail on the Sabbath:D
Go to Gambia with a pile of kindly donated loot then come home and have a cup of tea:thumb

As Paul said they have done it on Scooters lets do it the easyway on real bikes.
Minimum requirement for entry is £2000 sponsorship per person organised by yourself that goes directly to Calums rd building fund
Your own bike tent money food and of course :beer:etc etc
You have to pay for yourself travel ins in fact everything as if you are going on holiday with the only exception yo must raise the £2k to directly to the fund

Stick your name down if you want to come

We don't have to ride as a group as long as we leave on the same day and arrive on the same day

Will we ride back or get an airyplane and get the bikes shipped home

Can you just confirm we will giving to a cause in Africa or paying for your adventure?

Let us know as soon as you have a method of payment sorted :thumb2

Nope pay for it myself anything raised goes straight to the charity:thumb

My two trips with EnduroAfrica all money I raised went straight to charity I paid for the jolly side of it myself.

Will do regarding payment method as soon as poss.

I am very interested in this - bike, tent, money not an issue, getting time off work will be the biggest challenge - but certainly not impossible. The sooner we can get dates and the length of the trip the better chance I have of coming.

When you mention tent - i guess you are joking right? we will be staying in 4* hotels throughout the whole trip right?

:hide

The song "what's that coming over the hill" springs to mind for some strange reason:D

Before any definate plans are made I'll need to get the OK from the charity and some info from the seasoned old blokes that have already done it:thumb
As for accomodation that'll be down to the individual or send scouts out ahead
I reckon 3/4 weeks but thats getting the bikes shipped back.
we can use this thread as a brain storming thingy:thumb

Tim Cullis;1591551Calum's Road in the Gambia at the start of the rainy season[/B said:

Hi Tim
Mairi from gambiahorseanddonkey was the person that got in touch with me with what I thought was a local newsletter. I read it and thought oh that sounds like a good idea to ride from the original Calums rd to the one in Gambia which isn't built yet and the purpose of raising funds.
Mairi is raising funds by holding Ceilidh's "We'd like to create a ceilidh trail from Raasay to the Gambia."
But as I can't play an instument sing or dance

I never new the connection with Mairi and Heather until Heather e-mailed me then it suddenly dawned on me that the Tossers have been here before.:D

We made it down in 3 weeks on the scoots first time so that should make for a nice relaxed pace on bigger bikes.
I still have a promise of a Mitsubishi Shogun for either the Hospital in Bansang or for use in and around Sambel Kunda, so if you don't mind a 4x4 tagging along :thumb

We made it down in 3 weeks on the scoots first time so that should make for a nice relaxed pace on bigger bikes.
I still have a promise of a Mitsubishi Shogun for either the Hospital in Bansang or for use in and around Sambel Kunda, so if you don't mind a 4x4 tagging along :thumb

That would be great other benefit is that you know how to get there:D

:beerjug:

Perhaps the 4X4 could used to take some donated tools/equipment to help the villagers build the road:nenau

Perhaps the 4X4 could used to take some donated tools/equipment to help the villagers build the road:nenau

It's a nice thought but no..........that wouldn't be a good use of it.

The locals will use local tools- all hand stuff, picks shovels etc- they're better (and far more cheaply) sourced locally (again, keeping the money in the local economy) than brought in at great expense.......

It's money they're going to need I guess, for wages, resources, the locally sourced tools, concrete mix (to make culverts under the road to stop it being washed away twice a year) etc etc etc.....

Any space in any 4x4 left (and there won't be, trust me on this one ;) ) would be best filled with anti malarial tablets and the basics like aspirin and ibuprofen.

Dammit, I can feel myself falling again :blast

MUST RESIST MUST RESIST MUST..............

Oonyack you're a twat :handbag

:eek:

Here with the wealth of information I'll need from you you tell me that:eek:

FFS I've known that since birth:D

Money is all I'll be giving with that they can buy what they need:thumb

It's a nice thought but no..........that wouldn't be a good use of it.

The locals will use local tools- all hand stuff, picks shovels etc- they're better (and far more cheaply) sourced locally (again, keeping the money in the local economy) than brought in at great expense.......

It's money they're going to need I guess, for wages, resources, the locally sourced tools, concrete mix (to make culverts under the road to stop it being washed away twice a year) etc etc etc.....

Any space in any 4x4 left (and there won't be, trust me on this one ;) ) would be best filled with anti malarial tablets and the basics like aspirin and ibuprofen.

Dammit, I can feel myself falling again :blast

MUST RESIST MUST RESIST MUST..............

Hmmmmm so taking a king size mattress would be a bad idea :augie

Thanks for putting me straight :thumb

Back
Top Bottom