G650X Challenge .... new ride/ownership...tips please

Captain GSA

Tosser Extraordinaire
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
....for me next week....

Any tips - do's and don'ts please ....

anyone put a Scott-oiler on one? - Any must haves?

my first 'little' bike since my NX650 Honda Dominator ...

:beerjug:

....for me next week....

Any tips - do's and don'ts please ....

anyone put a Scott-oiler on one? - Any must haves?

my first 'little' bike since my NX650 Honda Dominator ...

Foam Air Filter
All the TT and BMW bits
Barkbusters Handguards
13T front sprocket
Spacer on rear guard to stop it destroying the airshock
decent tyres

Copy mine:augie

Foam Air Filter
All the TT and BMW bits
Barkbusters Handguards
13T front sprocket
Spacer on rear guard to stop it destroying the airshock
decent tyres

Copy mine:augie

Thought about Acerbis hand guards ... :confused:

What would a 13 tooth front sprocket do? ...

Spacer - how who what? And will a BMW dealer fit that for me?

I have road legal off road tyres fitted......

You said in another thread not to go for Remus as too loud :confused:... you obviously haven't heard my 12 GSA then ...:cool:

Thought about Acerbis hand guards ... :confused:

What would a 13 tooth front sprocket do? ...

Spacer - how who what? And will a BMW dealer fit that for me?

I have road legal off road tyres fitted......

You said in another thread not to go for Remus as too loud :confused:... you obviously haven't heard my 12 GSA then ...:cool:

I've got the acerbis rally guards fitted to my bike, but you'll need to shorten the levers. i think a better bet are the cyris (sp?) guards, these a different shape meaning that you won't need to trim or adjust your levers to fit.

Can't comment on the 13t front sproket, i find the standard gearing fine on my bike...

hth

nathan

Standard gearing is dreadful for going slow on trails, you need to be able to ride at just about walking pace sometimes and you need 13t for that.

You can use a couple of washers to create more space between the rear suspension flap and the shock itself, only needs a couple of mm to stop/reduce rubbing.

Acerbis Multiplo handguards fit fine with no chopping of levers required, you need the magura brackets for the bars though.

TT rack for the back so you can grab it somewhere. Large TT bashplate.

Importantly - get the TT replacement gear lever, the OEM will remove the gear shaft itself if you hit a big enough rock.

Standard gearing is dreadful for going slow on trails, you need to be able to ride at just about walking pace sometimes and you need 13t for that.

You can use a couple of washers to create more space between the rear suspension flap and the shock itself, only needs a couple of mm to stop/reduce rubbing.

Acerbis Multiplo handguards fit fine with no chopping of levers required, you need the magura brackets for the bars though.

TT rack for the back so you can grab it somewhere. Large TT bashplate.

Importantly - get the TT replacement gear lever, the OEM will remove the gear shaft itself if you hit a big enough rock.

All answered succinctly

Try the 650GS steel gearlever - cheap and plentiful on ebay

Tyres - the Sahara 3's will be fun in the autumn gloop of mud on the trails

MT21's

Ive used the Cycra handguards, not cheap but good quality and yuo dont have to cut your levers. If your going off road I also strongly recommend a steel gear lever in place of the stock cast alloy.

Not cheap but i'd also add the TT bash plate. It's almost twice as big as the stock item, but not that heavy.

I'm also running on the standard sahara's which are fine but when it comes time to change I'll be looking at something a bit meatier while still road legal.

Thank's guys .... I've looked at the TT bash plate ... looks the bizz ... :cool: :thumb

Handguards - I want the ones that have a flat metal thingey running through them - what make are those?

I'd like to fit the TT engine/radiator bars in black but can only find the radiator bar :confused:

Gear lever is a must ... :eek:

13T front sproket... would that wear my chain out quicker - but it's worth the trade off?

Spacer on the air shock? Is that easy to do?

Should I go down the route of a Scott-Oiler if it is possible?

I'm please with my MT21's

I'v brought the rad guard but it's a pig to fit so it's back in the box

Now are you talking about the alloy radiator guard that replaces the plastic one or ..........

the one that I'm on about which is a black tubular design that protects the rad and also goes down to protect the bottom of the engine too?:confused:

Touratech side stand protection as it hangs low and is the first thing to hit

Touratech side stand protection as it hangs low and is the first thing to hit

But does its job in rocky conditions and saves the footrest hanger:thumb

Here's a pic

XCHardpart.jpg

XCGearLever.jpg

Most of the other mods are shown here

XCLeft2.jpg

XCRear.jpg

XCFront.jpg

XChallenge-Right.jpg

Now are you talking about the alloy radiator guard that replaces the plastic one or ..........

the one that I'm on about which is a black tubular design that protects the rad and also goes down to protect the bottom of the engine too?:confused:

The tube one...

It's a buger to fit around the welds on the frame... the rad already has a plastic guard and it's protection from the side that's needed

Rear shock mudflap spacers

I used x2 25mm rubber tap washers on both fixing points and longer M5 screws. Tried one tap washer - not enough, so added a second. (Just had my shock replaced due to it rubbing).

Back
Top Bottom