Garmin GTM12/GTM21

bob emmerson

Reaction score
I have looked through a few threads already. If I understand correctly then, if I want to use one in the car and also have the option to use it on the bike, then it has to be the GTM12.

Can any one tell me what the coverage is like now? Is it worth getting? I travel between Portsmouth, London (not too often though) and the midlands mainly.

Cheers,
Bob

I'd say it has quite good coverage on my Zumo in the car. I've used the same aerial on a Nav 3 and it told you about traffic about 1 minute before hitting it as it seemed to only have good coverage around Manchester / Birmingham / London :(

The journey times do seem to get messed up a bit when it detects traffic and shows it on the screen ie a delay of 5 mins due to traffic can add 15 onto the arrival time :confused:

I'd recommend one, not at the £150 they were a couple of years ago, but at the £50 odd they are now, they'd get a :thumb2 from me

I'd say it has quite good coverage on my Zumo in the car. I've used the same aerial on a Nav 3 and it told you about traffic about 1 minute before hitting it as it seemed to only have good coverage around Manchester / Birmingham / London :(

The journey times do seem to get messed up a bit when it detects traffic and shows it on the screen ie a delay of 5 mins due to traffic can add 15 onto the arrival time :confused:

I'd recommend one, not at the £150 they were a couple of years ago, but at the £50 odd they are now, they'd get a :thumb2 from me

Cheers, I have seen one on Ebay for £28 + £2 delivery. I am assuming this one doesn't have lifetime traffic subscription. Does anyone know the cost of this?

Cheers, I have seen one on Ebay for £28 + £2 delivery. I am assuming this one doesn't have lifetime traffic subscription. Does anyone know the cost of this?

There's a number of subscription services, but if it's like mine, it comes with a free lifetime subscription. Worth plugging it into your GPS and seeing what you get. It can tell you in the spanner section IIRC.

BTW I'd do a webupdater on the zumo to make sure the traffic services bit is the most up-to-date.

There's a number of subscription services, but if it's like mine, it comes with a free lifetime subscription. Worth plugging it into your GPS and seeing what you get. It can tell you in the spanner section IIRC.

BTW I'd do a webupdater on the zumo to make sure the traffic services bit is the most up-to-date.

This one doesn't mention whether or not it comes with the subscription and I'm waiting for a reply from the seller. I'm not going to buy it and then find it's cheaper to get one from GPS Warehouse for £50 which does include the subscription.
I have already updated my unit with the latest software including the traffic.

This one doesn't mention whether or not it comes with the subscription and I'm waiting for a reply from the seller. I'm not going to buy it and then find it's cheaper to get one from GPS Warehouse for £50 which does include the subscription.
I have already updated my unit with the latest software including the traffic.

There's a thread on this topic on the Zumo forum (www.zumoforums.com). The conclusion is that there is no separate subscription - buy the GTM12 (off eBay if you wish), plug it in and it will work. I use the GTM in the car with my Zumo - the traffic info isn't always up to date but this is down to the service provider, not Garmin. It has definitely saved me time when M-ways have been blocked or had serious delays - worth £30 IMHO :thumb2

Cheers guys thanks for your input. I've got one on order and will give it a run out on a trip up to the black country and east Birmingham a week on friday:thumb2

Hi,
I bought one of these a while ago & use it with my 2820. I drive a truck for aliving. At times the info is incorrect, but as someone else said this is due to the service provider (Traffic Master).
As with everything Sat Nav you have to use common sense with it. On the whole I find it useful. It updates your eta taking into account delays.
I can divert round traffic if it is really bad, but have to be careful cos my trailer is 15'6" tall! I wish there was a reliable bridge height database.
On the whole it is well worth £30 or so.

Yes the coverage is good on Motorways, dual carriageways & main A road trunk routes. B road coverage is not good.
The blue poles with 'camera' like boxes on them along the road side are the 'sensors' for Traffic Master system.

Back
Top Bottom