BMW Navigator 3 vs TomTom R2 vs Zumo

gsbiker

Reaction score
I've been interested in the Tomtom Rider 2 sat nav because I use TomTom in my car and like it more than Garmin products. However, I got speaking with the BMW salesman today who said the Navigator 3 is all singing all dancing and much better product than the rest. Price tag is £650 plus battery cable plus bracket so it's not cheap.

What's been your experiences?

I have had a Zumo for 14 months and like it a lot especially with the Migsel mount that puts it above the instruments. I haven't had any real problems with it apart from low volume with my Autcom although I read some people have. My wife borrowed a TomTom to use in the car a while ago and I was impresed with it although when I looked at the MK 1 TomTom rider I didn't like it.

What's been your experiences?

Used a couple of Tom-Toms very successfully on 4 wheels. Family seem to find them User friendly too. Got a Zumo 550 for the bike after reading negative comments about Tom-Tom rider. Very pleased with Zumo and actually now prefer the Zumo car bracket so swap it over when needed.

Don't have sound, phone or music connected and I'm quite happy using the basic functionality on the bike. Usually carry a map to check things though.

I def want a sat nav, phone and MP3 playback on my bike. The only products I can see that do this is the Zumo 550 and StreetPilot 2820. That said I do have a an Iphone and iPod so I'm not sure which is the best way to achieve all this? I guess it would all have to be controlled by the sat nav if I want mp3 playback and voice prompts?

Advice needed?

Advice needed?

Whilst the zumo music quality isn't great, it is one less lead / faff when using an autocom. I've had the Nav 3, and the 2820 is basically a real Garmin that has MP3 capability.

The 2820 I'd guess is more of an instrument, whereas the zumo etc are toys. That is the 2820 can be configured in 1000's of ways, the zumo mainly is like it or lump it. For example, the 2820 can autozoom and dim roads, or you can have one or the other or neither. The zumo will only autozoom and is on permanent dim roads.

2820 cannot take external cards like the zumo AFAIK, very convenient you can take the card out to download tunes onto it without having to connect the GPS to the PC. And the 2820 will I guess need mains supply to do it whereas the zumo is powered by the usb port.

Best advice, have a play with one of each to see if you can get on with the zumo or not.

Whilst the zumo music quality isn't great, it is one less lead / faff when using an autocom. I've had the Nav 3, and the 2820 is basically a real Garmin that has MP3 capability.

Is the sound quality between 2820 and zumo the same? The two differences i can see between the Nav3 and 2820 is that the nav3 has four extra buttons on the left - are they useful? 2820 doesn't have the buttons and the nav3 doesn't have mp3 playback either - anything else?

The 2820 I'd guess is more of an instrument, whereas the zumo etc are toys.

What about TomTom Rider2 is this in the same category as Zumo or 2820?

For example, the 2820 can autozoom and dim roads, or you can have one or the other or neither. The zumo will only autozoom and is on permanent dim roads.

Not used to either of these features as I'm only used to TomTom. Can you elaborate abit more?

Best advice, have a play with one of each to see if you can get on with the zumo or not.

Where can I check out the 2820? Not sure where they sell them?

Is the sound quality between 2820 and zumo the same? The two differences i can see between the Nav3 and 2820 is that the nav3 has four extra buttons on the left - are they useful? 2820 doesn't have the buttons and the nav3 doesn't have mp3 playback either - anything else?

What about TomTom Rider2 is this in the same category as Zumo or 2820?

Not used to either of these features as I'm only used to TomTom. Can you elaborate abit more?

I'd guess the sound quality of a 2820 and zumo will be very similar.

No knowledge of the Tom Tom.

Autozoom, unit zooms in as you approach what it thinks is the next turn, can be confusing, but can also be very uesfull. Dim Roads, roads around the current route are shown as dull yellow, helps make the route more visible. But you can't easily tell the difference between a motorway and an "A" road.

Ask someone who has a 2820 may be the easiest way to see how it operates.

I have a 2820 (thank heavens I ignored the supplying dealer's great offer on a BMW NavIII!). The unit is obsolete, it has limited MP3 capability, the stereo sound quality is iffy (mono is great though) and I wish I had waited 4 months for a Zumo!
However, the unit is so good in every other respect that I have absolutely no intention of upgrading to the current generation of Zumo's.
I would buy the wife a Tom-Tom without a moment's hesitation - they're great units - but would never use one myself.

WOW so the 2820 is superceeding the Navigator III then? How do you know that? Also, were you referring to the iffy mp3 sound quality from the 2820?

The TomTom is techically a much better unit than the Zumo, the others dont really come into the equation due to cost vs feature.

Dont buy a TomTom Rider V1 if you can help it as they have some issues with the old mounts, the new one is perfect.

With TomTom you get FREE map updates from their mapshare system, itinerary planning on the device, not off the device like the zumo, and its SOOOOOOOO easy to use its a joke.

There are no ports on the TomTom, only on the Zumo which has proven to be one of the Zumos flaws. Everything audio or traffic etc related is done over bluetooth with the TomTom.

The only thing the Zumo has that the TomTom doesnt is MP3, incidentally MP3 can be added to the TomTom by buying some third party software.

If you were riding in North Africa or India etc, then I would get the Zumo as you have the option of getting maps for the middle of nowhere, if your riding anywhere in europe, america, australia, and a good many more then get the TomTom. :thumb2

With TomTom you get FREE map updates from their mapshare system, itinerary planning on the device, not off the device like the zumo, and its SOOOOOOOO easy to use its a joke.

The ability to carry out itinerary planning off the unit is one reason I went for the Garmin over the alternatives.

I'm not a delivery driver who wants to go from A to B via the fastest route. I want to be able to plan the route at home, looking at paper maps, work out which roads I want to go down, and then send it to the GPS.

But if I change jobs, the Garmins can plan on the unit as well.

The only thing the Zumo has that the TomTom doesnt is MP3, incidentally MP3 can be added to the TomTom by buying some third party software.

Thanks for that, do you know what the software is called or where to get it from as playing mp3 is one thing I really want?

Cheers

Zerocool
I have a Tom Tom R2 and I am really pleased with it.
You mention it is possible to get music on Tom Tom with third party software do you know where I can purchase it.

Regards Blue

The ability to carry out itinerary planning off the unit is one reason I went for the Garmin over the alternatives.

I'm not a delivery driver who wants to go from A to B via the fastest route. I want to be able to plan the route at home, looking at paper maps, work out which roads I want to go down, and then send it to the GPS.

But if I change jobs, the Garmins can plan on the unit as well.

Just to clarifty as when I read my post I wasnt that clear, the Rider can do itinerary planning and all other features both ON, and OFF the device. So better for that than the Garmin. :augie

Anyone tried this software on TomTom R2? The first question I have is... How much internal memory does the R2 have for MP3's??

I was checking out Garmin Zumo 550 on youtube and was impressed by what it could do. I then checked out TomTom demo - tv show demo it was - didn't really sell the product to me compared to Zumo. I am a TomTom man really and like it but the Zumo seemed to offer things the TomTom R2 doesn't have?

Back
Top Bottom