finding accomodation in school holidays

russ996duke

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi we are planning a tour of Alps, covering Germany, Switzerland, Austria and France (we may nip across into Italy too), which is good, but what is not so good is we have to go during summer school holidays, i.e. Late July early August.
Our concerns are how much of a potential problem finding good accomodation maybe...past trips have not been an issue in "term time", has anyone experience of touring jul/august and did hotels B&Bs have to be booked in advance or can we just wing as before???
Also how much busier are we likely to find the roads....we aim to use motorways to get to the good bits, then stick to seeing how many cols/passes we can collect..we guess that it will be a bit hotter than past trips!
ta
russ

I have a flat in Tignes (French Alps, near to the Col d'Iseran) you are welcome to use if we are not there?

In the French Alps area the roads are a little busier in school holiday time from my experience. The tourist areas are very much busier, for example the Gorges d' Ardeche camping sites by the river are so full the guy lines are crossing over one another. How anyone sleeps unless it's after a couple of bottles of vin rouge I'll never know.

Expect at crossroads in the hills to see a GS on each of the roads, and parked up there'll be loads. It can get cold in the hills, even in July as some are near 10 000 feet up and if it's raining :tears As an example on the Col de la Bonette 3 years ago it was down to 3 degrees C in rain near the top, back in the valley 25 degrees C :cool:

I have a flat in Tignes (French Alps, near to the Col d'Iseran) you are welcome to use if we are not there?

thats great....may take you up on that...but in winter 09...is it in tignes le lac or val claret....orround the back of le lac???

Round the back of Lac - Le Lavachet. PM me your email address and I'll send you some photos etc.

Hi Russ,
We can offer you B&B or half board accommodation, we're open all year and had many UKGS'ers stay last summer, but more importantly you don't have to book, you can just stop on our doorstep during the summer. Our website is: www.alpineaddictsmorzine.com
Cheers, Steve

Hi Russ,
We can offer you B&B or half board accommodation, we're open all year and had many UKGS'ers stay last summer, but more importantly you don't have to book, you can just stop on our doorstep during the summer. Our website is: www.alpineaddictsmorzine.com
Cheers, Steve

hi steve thanks for the info.....not actually anywhere near the route we are planning but, like all our plans its open to adjustment or just plain cockups so you never know!!
russ

Back
Top Bottom