Crash bars and bash plate compatability

bondsy

I have a f800gs. does anyone know if the sw-motech crash bars will work with the adventure-spec bash plate? let me know.

I have a f800gs. does anyone know if the sw-motech crash bars will work with the adventure-spec bash plate? let me know.

Hi Bondsy,

no they won't fit. My advice would be to get the adventure-spec bars and their bash plate. They look fantastic, they are complimentary to the steel tubing on the bike, they are very strong and the protection goes much higher than the SW Motech bars. It's taken the adventure spec guys a while to perfect the bars but in my view it's been worth the wait. They are the best bars on the market anywhere in the world. It's not often I say that about a British made product but on this occasion I will.

:thumb2

The great thing about this site is that as soon as someone make a categorical statement, someone else Will be along shortly to contradict it ...

JackieG has the BMUU Adventure Spec bash plate fitted, along with the SW-Motech crash bars. Both were fitted by JackieG, who has little experience of this type of thing, they fitted easily and work perfectly together:

Attachments

• Jackie 800 in SPain.JPG
    Jackie 800 in SPain.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 401
The great thing about this site is that as soon as someone make a categorical statement, someone else Will be along shortly to contradict it ...

JackieG has the BMUU Adventure Spec bash plate fitted, along with the SW-Motech crash bars. Both were fitted by JackieG, who has little experience of this type of thing, they fitted easily and work perfectly together:

That looks like the BMW bash plat, not the Adventure-Spec ones.

here are the adventure-spec: http://www.adventure-spec.com/shop/bmw-f800gs-sump-guard-bash-skid-glide-plate-rally-adventure-spec-trail-git-f800-gs-f650gs-f650-gs-08/prod_81.html

Cheers

Hi Bondsy,

no they won't fit. My advice would be to get the adventure-spec bars and their bash plate. They look fantastic, they are complimentary to the steel tubing on the bike, they are very strong and the protection goes much higher than the SW Motech bars. It's taken the adventure spec guys a while to perfect the bars but in my view it's been worth the wait. They are the best bars on the market anywhere in the world. It's not often I say that about a British made product but on this occasion I will.

:thumb2

I saw these bars at the Dirt Bike show over the weekend and have to say I completely agree with this. Not only are they very strong, they look good and the Adventure Spec guys are very helpful with advice and tips on fitting them. Have already ordered a set and am just waiting for them to arrive to fit on the GS as I have, errrr, already dropped it once :augie

Adrian

That is sooo right CB. That is why I can categorically say once again that the SW Motech motech bars will not fit the adventure-spec bash plate... :D

370399816_a9L7H-S.jpg

:thumb

dropping bikes

I saw these bars at the Dirt Bike show over the weekend and have to say I completely agree with this. Not only are they very strong, they look good and the Adventure Spec guys are very helpful with advice and tips on fitting them. Have already ordered a set and am just waiting for them to arrive to fit on the GS as I have, errrr, already dropped it once :augie

Adrian

I don't want to rubbish anyone, but there seem to be alot of bike dopped with out crash bars (and with I bet).
I hope that you are riding off road. (200kg vs 120kg of a 450 dirt bike is obvious)

Is it the fact that the bike is just to tempting to ride off road before you get the bars? OR
Is there no rules regarding smalll bikes (Australia is a power restricted bike for the first year) thus you guys are not parcticed enough for the small learning bikes OR
That you are all just riding on road and you UK people are just as s%@$ at riding as you are a cricket?????????? (joke)

The questions still stand?

I don't want to rubbish anyone, but there seem to be alot of bike dopped with out crash bars (and with I bet).
I hope that you are riding off road. (200kg vs 120kg of a 450 dirt bike is obvious)

Is it the fact that the bike is just to tempting to ride off road before you get the bars? OR
Is there no rules regarding smalll bikes (Australia is a power restricted bike for the first year) thus you guys are not parcticed enough for the small learning bikes OR
That you are all just riding on road and you UK people are just as s%@$ at riding as you are a cricket?????????? (joke)

Simple answer: I dropped it at 0 mph on the first day I got it coming out of a parking area. Why - because I'm an ars... errrr idiot

errr and you make an assumption that I'm English - why?

Adrian

Personally I haven't dropped it (fingers crossed)... but I would say that it's just too tempting to go off-roading with it!!. I haven't bought the bars yet because I haven't had the money to (crash bars+sump guard = ~£400 plus think of all the gear you have to buy when you first start riding...: jacket, pants, gloves, boots, helmet).
I have taken it off-road about 9 or 10 times and I have been lucky not to drop it yet... I was very close to a few times though. I have now changed the tires for some TKC80 so I hope that lowers the risk of dropping it too. Next month it will be adv-spec the bars+bash plate and some enduro boots :thumb2.

Cheers.

If you drop it on a flat surface the plastic's wont get damaged. I've dropped mine 4 times. twice with a passenger ;) Although it could be said that the passenger caused 2 of them by hanging about on the left peg for too long.

I got the bars because I want to go off road and chances are I'll get an off whilst in a rut, over rocks or in a river and it would be that stray boulder that would get past the defences of the end of the handlebars and the rear footpeg.

:augie

If you drop it on a flat surface the plastic's wont get damaged... <snip>
Unless you're referring to a perfectly smooth, billiard ball-type surface, I have proof the plastics WILL get damaged, even at zero mph (in a forwards direction, that is). Tarmac road with a few loose bits of gravel (not the cause of the fall; the bike stalled, or I stalled it:augie).

Happened to me with about 120 miles on the odometer. A few days later I fitted a set of SW-Motech engine bars, but the bike's scars (on the plastic bits) remain. Haven't dropped it since then, though (yet).:D

Last edited:
Unless you're referring to a perfectly smooth, billiard ball-type surface, I have proof the plastics WILL get damaged, even at zero mph (in a forwards direction, that is). Tarmac road with a few loose bits of gravel (not the cause of the fall; the bike stalled, or I stalled it:augie).

Happened to me with about 120 miles on the odometer. A few days later I fitted a set of SW-Motech engine bars, but the bike's scars (on the plastic bits) remain. Haven't dropped it since then, though (yet).:D

Yes, I agree. I had a very similar experience but with only 40 miles on the odometer (I did actually drop the bike once, but I wasn't offroading!).

I was in third gear slowing down and about to change to second gear in order to turn right to a side road when I realized that it wasn't the turn I had to do. So I aborted the change of gear but didn't re-accelerate quick enough.

The bike stalled and blocked the back wheel. I skidded for about 10 meters and managed to get the bike to a stop without dropping it (downhill mountain bike skills came handy!!) but then the bike lfell to the right side quicker than I could put my foot down. I got the bike down as smoothly as I could but I still ended up with a scratch on the side panel. And only with 40 miles on the clock!!

very happy that the bike didn't suffer any serious damage though, and with a black permanent marker I painted the scratch and you can hardly see it! Pic below (edit: before paiting it with the black marker):
scratch.jpg

I got the bars because I want to go off road and chances are I'll get an off whilst in a rut, over rocks or in a river and it would be that stray boulder that would get past the defences of the end of the handlebars and the rear footpeg.

My experience is that 'stray boulders' inevitably get through the crash bar defences and mark the plastics. After last month's offroad ride from hell between Morocco's Todra and Dades Gorges--more than 12 hours of riding to cover 25 miles--all four side panels were marked. The only ones untouched by boulders were the front beak and the 'tank' top.

Tim

My experience is that 'stray boulders' inevitably get through the crash bar defences and mark the plastics. After last month's offroad ride from hell between Morocco's Todra and Dades Gorges--more than 12 hours of riding to cover 25 miles--all four side panels were marked. The only ones untouched by boulders were the front beak and the 'tank' top.

Tim

yes, but you can sleep well at night Tim, knowing you're using it for the purpose for which it was built! :thumb

thanks to every one for replying to my question. my new bike, wanting to do the extreem, with dirt roads, inexperance, and no protection for the bike...thats a recipe for distaster. thanks, this forun helps alot.

crash bars and bash plate compatability

today i fitted my sw motech bars and modified my adventure spec bash plate to fit with them. i'm quite happy with the result, will post pics as soon as paint dries and both are on the bike, hopefully tomorrow.:Motomartin

Yes, I agree. I had a very similar experience but with only 40 miles on the odometer (I did actually drop the bike once, but I wasn't offroading!).

I was in third gear slowing down and about to change to second gear in order to turn right to a side road when I realized that it wasn't the turn I had to do. So I aborted the change of gear but didn't re-accelerate quick enough.

The bike stalled and blocked the back wheel. I skidded for about 10 meters and managed to get the bike to a stop without dropping it (downhill mountain bike skills came handy!!) but then the bike lfell to the right side quicker than I could put my foot down. I got the bike down as smoothly as I could but I still ended up with a scratch on the side panel. And only with 40 miles on the clock!!

very happy that the bike didn't suffer any serious damage though, and with a black permanent marker I painted the scratch and you can hardly see it! Pic below (edit: before paiting it with the black marker):
scratch.jpg

Looking at the photo of the damage tr5esu it looks like the wind deflecters might just have prevented that :eek:

:beerjug:

Attachments

• Wind deflectors-1.jpg
    Wind deflectors-1.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 369

Back
Top Bottom