Belfast to Europe

Happy Meal

Learned GSers

Hoping to avail of some experience and wisdom - haven't been to Europe yet but it's a must in 2009 - what's the quickest and cheapest way to get on to the european mainland and how many days do you need for a half decent trip with some mountain riding involved (on the basis that I won't get permission from my good lady wife for a 3 week jolly)?

Thanks

Hi HM, I would sail direct from Rosslare to Cherbourg with Irish Ferries.

Typically, the ferry leaves Rosslare at 4pm in the afternoon arriving in France the next morning. One good day's riding will have you into great biking country.

Cheapest and best option for me was to fly Belfast to Barcelona, get picked up at the airport by Mike from www.motoespana.com and rent a 1200GS for a week. Price also includes a lift back to the airport.

Maximises your time on the continent and you don't need new tyres and a service when you get home again.

On the Busa u can be in Calais within the day - HSS, Dover-Calais.

2 days on the GS :blast

On the Busa u can be in Calais within the day - HSS, Dover-Calais.

2 days on the GS :blast

Most helpful!!:rolleyes:

I'd agree with Aidan head straight to France from here but personally i'd go Cork to Roscoff and take it from there. The sailing times are good and leave you a full day to head through France and onward!! Pricewise it seems initially dearer but you should take into account you will probably need a nights less accommodation and you avoid the crappy run through Wales/England and the petrol stops etc.

Once you get over there the world is your oxter :thumb2

Last edited:
Newcastle - Imujuden

Thats the ferry that floats my boat these days .
My Euro Trips are all Goin Easterly in Direction , so this is handy for me.
It really all depends where in USE you wanna go.
Dont forget the Plymouth - Santander boat or mini cruise.
There is a New operator on the Cherry burg Route this year as well ,
which will i hope see Irish rust Buckets get some decent craft on the Seas.
Where do you ultimately want to go ?

Do you Really mean it when you say that you need your Wifes permission
i read this all the time , and simply cant believe its a reality.

what's the quickest and cheapest way to get on to the european mainland
Ryanair :thumb

the civil one said:
Do you Really mean it when you say that you need your Wifes permission
i read this all the time , and simply cant believe its a reality.
Oooh, just you wait til Billie reads that.............

trevmcdev8 said:
Great boat on a Friday evening, full of hen do's heading for Amsterdam :JB
Speaks the voice of experience :D

Cheers for the responses - taking a 'busa on the hen boat from Newcastle sounds like the only option . . .

I hear what you're saying about the fly-ride deal Betty Swallocks but I really want to do the miles on my own bike (06 1200) so boat is the only option for now

Destination - don't really know! Was thinking for first european trip would probably head south and east of Paris and into the Alps. I've read about Route Napolean and it sounds pretty good with options of other good roads around it??:nenau Would 5 days be enough for all that do you think?

The Civil One - wife's permission - I probably don't really need it in that she wouldn't divorce me but I spend quite a few weekends biking in some form or another and road biking and my gs are the latest obsession - so on top of that bigger trips could be perceived as taking the piss a bit. Therefore, in the interest of a quiet life and permission for future trips / other biking activities, etc

Learned GSers

Hoping to avail of some experience and wisdom - haven't been to Europe yet but it's a must in 2009 - what's the quickest and cheapest way to get on to the european mainland and how many days do you need for a half decent trip with some mountain riding involved (on the basis that I won't get permission from my good lady wife for a 3 week jolly)?

Thanks

Hi Happy Meal
I have found that the cheapest + quickest from NI is for sure Larne-Cairnryan then a Dover-Calais or similar.
I have left home early morn + been in France in 12-14 hours but by the time you end up in France another hour or so down the road you will have rode approx 600 miles + you will be looking to get your head down so you really wont gain much in time or cost as by the time you add fuel + that nights accommodation will be close to the cost of Rosslare-Cherbourg with cabin
I find this last few years that its much easier to - have a lie in + be in Rosslare for the 4pm sailing.
You will be in better form for your 1st day in France + you won't have the hassle of the ride down to Dover.
Basically it will be 20-24 hours from you left home to your on the road in France no matter which way you go
5 days would prob be a bit tight to do the Route Napolean + back though
Also bear in mind you will need to get roughly half way down France before you get to the good stuff:D

So Belfast is not in Europe then - Ulster says NO to that also:augie

Seriously direct to France from Rosslare or Cork. Put the head down on day one and head for the hills - any hills. The route Napoleon can be busy but hell just do it and feck them domestic credits. Oh and if landing in France on Sunday leave the boat with a full tank - good advice on any day cause the stuff is expensive over there but can be hard to get on Sunday in places.

Destination - don't really know! Was thinking for first european trip would probably head south and east of Paris and into the Alps. I've read about Route Napolean and it sounds pretty good with options of other good roads around it??:nenau Would 5 days be enough for all that do you think?

Have a wee shifty at http://www.alpineroads.com/ for routes around the Alps - I'd probably take 3 months though instead of 3 weeks - think of the smile on your face when you get back - wouldn't yer missus not love that ?:JB

Cheers again guys - some good advice there.

Destinations - if you're going early in the year to mainland Europe, where would you go to avoid the worst of the weather? South of France and Spain? Any less obvious desitnations?

Back
Top Bottom