Sweet XChallenge Adv bike

Man, that is one mean looking bike! If I am honest it was that and a few others like it on Adv rider that made me want to get an X Challenge in the first place. All I need to do now is loosen the wifes grip on the purse strings so that I can invest heavily in Touratechs catalogue!:D If I order now the parts may be with me before the end of 2009. Rumour has it that touratech is german for on backorder!

Stop it!!!!!!

I keep looking at that kit in the TT catalogue :drool

And typical of TT gear, I don't need it..........I just want it :augie

Thats a nice bike and a nice piccie :thumb

I looked at the possibility of a KTM 640 Adv but the legendary vibes and dropping down from an 1150 put me off . Thats a good alternative:clap

Lucky bugger must live close to the Columbia Gorge area too in the Pacific NorthWest . Some bloody fantastic riding around there. Look in the background , I think thats Mount Hood to the left in Oregon and the taller Mount Adams ( more snow) to the right just over the State line in Washington. To get some scale I reckon that Adams is about 70 miles north from where his bike must be sat. :bow

I can see pro's and cons of each ... and put both together there is 33 litres ;-)

I have previously discussed this with Erik at Hot Rod, and if you wanted a tank with 11 additional litres rather than the stock 7, its an easy change for him to make in the manufacturing process.... since the standard tanks are two pressed halves, he just welds a strip of aluminium a couple of inches wide in between the two halves and hey presto you have an 11 litre tank a few inches wider (but still much narrower than the exhaust on the LHS of the bike). A total of 21 litres on a bike that gets 70 mpg is 325 mile (520 km) range.

Additionally, the way the tank mounts, it braces the weak point in the load carrying capacity of the subframe ... which is where the diagonal brace meets the seat / luggage rack rail, so strengthens the subframe considerably.

X-Tank production line:

Attachments

• Xtank.jpg
    Xtank.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 1,089
Good points from Wreford and Colebatch:thumb2

My reason for considering the extra fuel tanks is that I am toying with the idea of taking the XC on my trip to Gambia (if I can go at all!!) and as such I would need to be taking a fair amount of luggage. Having the fuel at the back might limit the capacity of the right hand pannier and all of the additional weight will be at the back, whereas the TT fuel tank will distribute the weight more evenly. There is a lot more to consider beyond the fuel/luggage though......we will do alot of motorway miles to get there and I would need to get a screen (or the Rallye fairing :drool), do something about the seat (sheep skin/Airhawk/change seat) and change the gearing (changing the front sprocket up 1 or 2 teeth should do it).

Hmmmmm:green gri

Nice mods alright :thumb2

They're well thought out & put together but you're only getting 7 litres more capacity for almost the same money as the 16l TT tank.
I went the TT route & am more than happy with the result ;)

What range did you get when you were in Marocco?

Additionally, the way the tank mounts, it braces the weak point in the load carrying capacity of the subframe ... which is where the diagonal brace meets the seat / luggage rack rail, so strengthens the subframe considerably.

X-Tank production line:

:confused:

[ The 4-point attachments with vibrationdampers form a strong triangular connection to the subframe, to avoid extreme point loads on this part. ]

I think you'll find the vibration dampers will actually prevent the tank from bracing the frame.
Rubber mounts; means the item is free to move about. This would not act as any kind of brace. Infact they are there to literally save the rear end of the bike being torn apart by the full tank flapping about on what is a very minimal rear sub-frame designed solely to carry the rider and the exhaust pipe.

Adding large panniers and extra luggage would ideally necessitate serious bracing or replacement of the rear sub-frame (which could be incorperated in the pannier mounts).
After all, if the twin spa steel lattice frame of the 1150 (probably 8-10 times stronger) can break under the stresses of overland touring don't hold much hope for the alli box section triangle on the X Challenge surviving long.

Val.

I'm not shure if the picture will come up....

5537.jpg

But if not?

Check out my profile at....
http://www.bike.no/project/view.php?id=2107

My pictures on Advrider was deleted, probably because of my stickers :augie

450 based Dakar bike on motoblog.

big_bmw_450_x_dakar_proto_2009_01.jpg

big_bmw_450_x_dakar_proto_2009_02.jpg

The site offers a juicy Motorcycling anticipation: the photos "stolen" version of Dakar (Rally Raid) BMW 450 X.

The images come from the site of ToolEnduro, French magazine industry, as stated, the vehicle was photographed outside a dealer transalpine. Made with about 200 hours of labor, the BMW 450 X version Rally Raid, will be piloted by Hugo Payen, and will be the only BMW to attend the Dakar in 2009.

Note that this year the "Dakar" will be held in South America, with departure and arrival in Buenos Aires, along a route through Argentina and Chile.

Back
Top Bottom