NEW R1150GS: ARE YOU A LUDDITE?

The new BMW R1150GS. Made your mind up already? ARE YOU A LUDDITE?

• YES: I LIKE MY BATTLESHIP JUST AS SHE IS

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • NO: I LOVE ACRES OF PLASTIC: BRING IT ON

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • MAYBE: I'M HOLDING MY COUNSEL

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • ORDERED ONE ALREADY: CAN'T BEAR YESTERDAY'S THING

Votes: 12 16.7%

• Total voters

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
LUDDITE:

"Said (but without confirmation) to be f. Ned Lud, a lunatic living about 1779, who in a fit of rage smashed up two frames belonging to a Liecestershire stockinger". A member of an organised band of mechanics and their friends, who (1811-16)went about detroying machinery in the Midlands and north of England.

(Shorter Oxford English Dictionary)

Seems that the only moans about the new bike are on this forum ... so are we a bunch of closet conservatives?

BOLLOX

The bike I'm referring to is the R1200GS

DOH

Have I just betrayed my position??

Have`nt smashed many looms lately but I rode my bike today and I`m well happy with it.....but..never say never

Dave Hall said:
Have`nt smashed many looms lately but I rode my bike today and I`m well happy with it.....but..never say never

That about sums it up for me as well:thumb

18? nope... 1200GS has 20 USABLE so I would read this as "at least 20" (could be a bit more)

also BEAR IN MIND THE ENCHANCED ECONOMY OF THE NEW BIKE (people - esp. people with 1150GS - tend to "forget" this), that if it doesn't level things, at least makes them really close

Having seen the pic of MikeO sitting astride the new 1200GS I have my doubts - it looks like it is much smaller - pathetically smaller than the awesome GS's of the past. I'm 6'4" and until I sit on one I will reserve judgement but impressions this far suggest it's not in the same 'in yer face' league as todays 1100 and 1150s ......:(

Gecko said:
Having seen the pic of MikeO sitting astride the new 1200GS I have my doubts - it looks like it is much smaller - pathetically smaller than the awesome GS's of the past. I'm 6'4" and until I sit on one I will reserve judgement but impressions this far suggest it's not in the same 'in yer face' league as todays 1100 and 1150s ......:(

Pictures don't tell a story;)

OK, so here is my totally unsolicited and worthless opinion:

I love my R 1150 GS. I think it is the second most beautiful motorcycle available (after the Ducati 916, but that would just be a toy). However, I think 100 hp, 115Nm of torque and 220 kgs sounds fantastic. I just wish they had kept the 1150 styling, then there would be no contest.

I also worry about the carrying capacity: is it going to be able to bear the weight in the same way as the 1150? I seem to remember seeing the max permitted load has dropped by 10kgs. That's a lot of pies I would have to skip, to get back to the 1150's permitted load. (This is important, as I like to take wife + kitchen sink on holiday on the bike).

So, choices choices. Do you go with the looks, or the goods?

David

in practice carrying capacity and esp. 10kg differences mean sh*t

they just have to follow some international regulations that's all (like luggage mentioning that you shouldn't go over 120Km/h ;) - well ok I never go UNDER 120Km/h)

Test Rode the R1200GS last Saturday. I was excited at the prospect. I was dissapointed after the ride. I found it uncomfortable, too slim, less surefooted than my 1150GS, couln't read the LCD instruments cos they reflected the sky at a crucially wrong angle. I'll keep my '99 1150 thanks.

DavidEmmett said:
OK, so here is my totally unsolicited and worthless opinion:

I also worry about the carrying capacity: is it going to be able to bear the weight in the same way as the 1150? I seem to remember seeing the max permitted load has dropped by 10kgs. That's a lot of pies I would have to skip, to get back to the 1150's permitted load. (This is important, as I like to take wife + kitchen sink on holiday on the bike).

David

I was worried about the carrying capacity as well. But I was told that the ready to ride weight of the 1200 was 220kg, and Gross weight limit was 450kg which gives a payload of 230kg. My 1150 is quoted at 250kg ready to ride, and 460kg max gross weight, leaving a payload of 210kg.

So although the Goss Weight limit has dropped 10kg, actual carrying capacity would seem to have improved by 20kg.

I was quite interested in this, payload being a key factor in my purchases, and one of the reasons I finally bought a GS instead of an RT three years ago (the RT having a lower payload).

Metal Man said:
Pictures don't tell a story;)

but if a picture paints a thousand words how long does a story have to be?

cant we stop these interminablely boring posts on whether the 1200 is more this than the 150 and if the 1100 is more whatever than the.......

BOR-BLOODY-RING

Clever poll this Not !!!!!

One question for the 1150 but three for the 1200 ensures the 1150 appears to get more votes.HOWEVER add the three 1200 votes together and it`s a different story.
Ever considered running the US elections ?,GW Bush would love you.

Re: Clever poll this Not !!!!!

Fitzy said:
One question for the 1150 but three for the 1200 ensures the 1150 appears to get more votes.HOWEVER add the three 1200 votes together and it`s a different story.
Ever considered running the US elections ?,GW Bush would love you.

:confused:

Even with options....you loose :eek:

Spanish Bob said:
Can we stop these interminablely boring posts on whether the 1200 is more this than the 150 and if the 1100 is more whatever than the.......

BOR-BLOODY-RING [/B]

Thread was started in February.. time has come to close it.
Bob, It'll will never end... look at the ongoing Air/Oil head saga :rolleyes: ;)

Back
Top Bottom