2720 fecked!

mpjbiker

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My mate asked to borrow satnav to go somewhere-no worries, I said, we'll plug it in to the lighter socket and I'll show you how it works. We whacked it in to his 1962 Mark 2 Jag, whereupon it failed to work. That's strange, I thought, followed by the horrible realisation that the old bus is positive earth. I've checked the unit on my hard-wired job bike, and it doesn't work. Is there an internal fuse or overload protection system, does anyone know, or have we just blown up £400 worth of satnav?
Cheers, Martin.

I've never taken a Garmin charging lead apart but I've seen the inside of the odd TomTom one. The likelyhood is that the two are similar in which case there is probably a fuse and a protection diode inside the power lead (I assume the item in question is a car fag-lighter to USB lead). If so, you've hopefully only destroyed the charging lead rather than the sat-nav itself. Try another charging lead (preferrably borrowed) and hope.

Last edited:
Thanks for replies, chaps. I've heard that when a unit is sent back to Garmin, that whatever the fault, you get charged £130 and get a recon unit back (i.e, not yours). Is this correct?

This page shows the US exchange repair cost is $225 for the 2720. Not sure how much in £ depends on how tied this is to the exchange rate (not so good these days if it is as that's £150).

I think you normally get an exchange unit unless it's an accessory failure, this should include new hardware and the latest mapping which makes the cost a little more bearable (that's unless you've just splashed out on the latest mapping). As JA says, they may supply the next model up if they don't have any 2720s in stock so that could be a 2820 or even a Zumo.

Back
Top Bottom