Which GPS for North, Central and South America

BrianR

OK Chaps

The 1100GS is getting sorted and we have our departure day June 8th 2009, One year taking a look around.

I need to know your opinions on which SAT NAV. and where is the best place to obtain the maps is. I don’t need "turn left in 250 meters" I do need accurate (well as accurate as possible) road mapping.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Brian, what kinds of roards are you looking to ride on? If your looking to dirt and trail riding you might want to take a look at the Delorme PN-40. They have a very good price on map subscriptions for the USA. Not sure about SA. Otherwise look at the Garmin Colorado or 60CSx. If you mainly looking at paved roads and want route planning I would reccommend the Garmin Zumo.

Steve

The biggest and best GPS to show roadmaps is the Garmin GPSMAP 620. It shows twice as much map as any other device. It's not the best for storing routes & tracks but it can do simple guiding.

Next level is the Garmin GPSMAP 276C/378 and similar. Does not show as much map as the 620 but still better than all other alternatives. For storing routes & tracks and for guiding in areas with poor maps it's the best on the market.

Ta

Chaps

As we are two up It will be mainly road riding, howeer we will want to explore some easy off road stuff

Brian

It's a Garmin you need, and Zumo the model :thumb2

Decide wheather you can justify the bluetooth of the 550 - if not, there are cheaper versions.

You can probably pick up the US mapping cheaper over there.

Al :thumb2

Ta

Chaps great input .... as always with this site.

Given what everyone has said, I have one further question.

The mapping for North America is not an issue as far as I can tell. But what about South and Central America. I have seen some third party maps available, will these upload into the GPS'S you chaps have recommended.

Thanks again

BrianR

If you want info on chile - fuel stops, accomodation etc then let me know.

karl

Back
Top Bottom