Servicing 640 LC4

Crapaud

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone know if full workshop manual is available in download form? I've found one manual but it only covers the engine. I need to replace the fork seals and would appreciate some guidance.

Also the engine manual mentions use of a "lubricating syringe (see special tools)" to bleed the oil system?? Manual says: IF THE ENGINE OIL HAS BEEN DRAINED FROM THE FRONT PIPE OF FRAME, YOU MUST BLEED THE SYSTEM!".

I get a bit nervous when the manual shouts at you and includes exclamation mark.:)

How difficult is this task?

Cant recall about the forks as they always seemed to have too many jesus springs in them for my liking. Though I would google for WP fork manuals rather than ktm.
As to the oil bleeding. its not hard but I would attempt to fill the tube manually 1st to save on the bleeding time. The bleed bolt from memory (and its a long faded one so please check 1st) is on the headstock lhs near the top of the down tube. I used to fill that 1st , kick it over a few times and then bleed it, when I 1st did it using the manual it seemed to take an age to come out the bleed bolt.
HTH macca

If you haved drained the front frame breast tube ,you need to bleed the oil system.Drain oils from c/case ,2 bungs 13 & 19mm.Don,t touch allen screw,change filters 1 presure on engine o/s,canister filter on frame,small allen key is drain bung(4mm )in filter recess.Fill frame filter,add 1.3litres to crankcase.Add 0.6litres to frame by top bung,make up tube/filler.Startup on idle for 20 secs till oil appears at top bung,refit bung.check level at sight gauge.Run ,check for leaks. Adv sites look up on LC4 index, if Creeper ain,t put it on,somebody else will.

If you haved drained the front frame breast tube ,you need to bleed the oil system.Drain oils from c/case ,2 bungs 13 & 19mm.Don,t touch allen screw,change filters 1 presure on engine o/s,canister filter on frame,small allen key is drain bung(4mm )in filter recess.Fill frame filter,add 1.3litres to crankcase.Add 0.6litres to frame by top bung,make up tube/filler.Startup on idle for 20 secs till oil appears at top bung,refit bung.check level at sight gauge.Run ,check for leaks. Adv sites look up on LC4 index, if Creeper ain,t put it on,somebody else will.

Wot he said. :thumb
Done yours recently Basil? :D
Mark

Adv thumper section guide..

There is a very impressive photo guide and service manuals thread on the thumpers section on advrider.com well worth a read.

Hey up mark,katie was due oil change after weekend.She,s drained & flushed,awaiting good service.6 teeth missing off front sprocket.Just waiting parts,so i,ll drag serow out for snow.:Motomartin

Sid all the information you need to carry out servicing is in the manual I gave you with the bike also it is on the cd that came with it and the small tube and bottle for doing the oil change was in the bag of parts that I gave you.

Sid all the information you need to carry out servicing is in the manual I gave you with the bike also it is on the cd that came with it and the small tube and bottle for doing the oil change was in the bag of parts that I gave you.

You are undoubtedly correct, BUT I'll guarantee you, that Sid [being Sid:blast] has not even looked at the book or gone through the bag of parts yet :nenau

As soon as I'm fit I'll be able to help the bugger out :thumb2

He really is the salt of the earth :thumb2 but such a plank sometimes:eek

:hide:hide:pullface

Back
Top Bottom