Bimble in the 'Blooms .... anyone?

vireo

Reaction score
OK, So today I've mostly being putting up the tree and decorating the house..............and I think I'm getting cabin fever.

So, to have something to look forward to I thought I'd propose a day somewhere in the midlands between Christmas and New Year.

Anyone interested in a meet-up for a day in the Slieve Blooms and thereabouts?

I was thinking about Mon/Tues 29/30 December......but am reasonably flexible.

:aidan

V

What kind of a Bimble are we talking about here ??? :bounce1:bounce1

Could be one of the "greatest" ideas on this forum. :eek:

I'm in. :thumb

Count me in as well ,Vireo :thumb2

J....I was wondering where you were - not like you to miss a gig......:D

Right, as to a plan,.......... probably best left 'on the hoof' ??

The weather is going to determine a lot - both in terms of getting to the area, and in regard to access to the higher roads - not that any of them are too high....! - but there are warnings posted around the area about the risk of ice etc, and I'm not that brave!

Something tells me that the new CEO of the Pipe and Slippers Club :augie will be keen to get off-road, and there are some great forestry tracks there.
I wonder if its advisable to risk given the recent changes in the law etc? Anytime I've tried, I've found the tracks blocked at one end or the other!

How's about we aim for Monday 29th and as a provisional arrangement kick off at Quinns Tea Shop (N52 54.719 W7 21.011) in Abbeyleix on the main Cork-Dublin around 10:30 or 11am and then take it from there......? Its an easy run up thru Mountrath and into the hills from here.

Vireo

J....I was wondering where you were - not like you to miss a gig......:D

We just buried my mother-in-law yesterday Vireo and now my next door neighbour is being buried to-morrow. What a week..............:(

Anyway's.......... I'm up for whatever you have in mind.....don't care........just like to get out for a spin. Abbeyleix perfect for me, you could drop by my house on the way and travel up together if you like

J

Are the foreigners welcome too....? :nenau If yes so im in!!!! :clap Anyone can order sunny weather for these days? :Motomartin M.

Quinns Tea Shop

Meeting point... it's a start anyhow !

Attachments

• Quinns Tea Shop.gdb
    183 bytes · Views: 31
I dont profess to know the area..............the only thing I can offer is the attached. It follows a route (the gdb file is too big to post.........how do you get over this issue when attaching?) from Mountrath into the hills south of the Kinnity to Mountrath road, thence into Kinnity and back along the R440 before turning back north over The Cut towards a waterfall near Clonsalee - and above this is a nice mountain area with a road....but I dont know where it ends! There are a number of others tracks at various points off these roads which we could try if there is a willingness (?):bounce1.
Note that Mapsource doesn't regard the first bit of the above as a through road, suggesting it stops just at Cummer, but rest assured that the road DOES continue over the mountain! There are, however, warnings at the start of this road posted about the dangers of ice etc in winter......:eek::eek:

Vireo

Attachments

• Bimble.jpg
    Bimble.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 149
There are a number of others tracks at various points off these roads which we could try if there is a willingness (?):bounce1.

" if there is a willingness" :eek:

As much as possible Vireo. :D :thumb

Looking at the longish range forecast for 29th (a black art......I know) the weather is looking a bit mixed (generally colder than at the mo' and fog in the mornings) .....................

Hopefully all those who expressed an interest are still on for this so we should have 4-5. All others still welcome to come along to ride off the turkey :aidan

Wiil ye be online/at your PCs thru the hols if needed, or do we exchange mobile No's ??:comfort

V

Im still in...organized off days for these days already. If any change will b on 0857153957 or call John and he will contact me....hope :augie
Martin

So, it was a c-c-c-cold morning down here and a lot of frost remained on the roads thru to 11am. So, it could be a bit tricky tomorrow up in the higher sections of the Slieve Blooms, or in shaded areas of any of the back roads..........but I'm still on if others are :D and if I can overcome a tooth abcess :eek

See weather forecast below

Time for a roll-call: initial participants were......

Daithi
Jaws
Bin
Martas
Vireo

Still OK? Any others?

V

Attachments

• weather 291208.jpg
    weather 291208.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 80
Can't make this one, sorry Vireo.

Howya Gents, I've never not gone on a run after committing to it before but apparently cold hard cash doesn't always buy brownie points. :(

Got out today, but I didn't know I was using up tomorrows.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom