Do You ride your GS in the salt?

oly

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone ride whilst the roads are salty and icy?
I havent moved mine for a month. As last year the salt destroyed my spoked wheels?
If so what is the best way to protect and clean ?

ACF50 seems to be the solution of choice, though it'll be a pig covering all the spokes

btw, why have you posted this in the newbie section and not done a search... there's loads of stuff here about salt corosion and panniers, etc, etc

I use my bike through out the year, but if its really icy, I'll take the car

Rinse with cold water after the ride - my spokes are fine and the bikes been thru 9 winters of salt so far....

Use mine almost every day.
Salty roads don't stop me but if it's really icy then I'll take the 4x4.

ACF50 once a year and wash it once a year. No corrosion that I can see (probably hidden by all the dirt). Mine's for ridding not polishing.

Paul

+1 what they all said :agree ACF50 and cold water rinse. Took the Jeep out for 2 days last week because of snow, otherwise still riding (bit icy in places this morning though, particularly the inside of my visor :D)

You've got chrome Spokes?????

I think I had chrome spokes once, but I can't see them under the all the salt!

I think I had chrome spokes once, but I can't see them under the all the salt!

Is it grey? It could be ice or snow.
Let your bike spend the night in your living room for the night, and see if it melts and fall off. (If not, I guess the reaction from your :wife make it melt.)

...or see if what a Norwegian rider write here http://www.mc-addict.com/aguidetowinterriding.htm can help you. ...-in English, yes! :jibber

:) Liv.

I ride right through, havent had this gs long but I buy them cans of / back to black dash and bumper restorer .
Its silicone based £1a can .
Stayes on a week ,jet wash and reaply.
Also because its silicone it doesent swell your rubber specially important in your brake calipers.
Luvin the stuff, makes everything look new.

If you try it dont get any in ur eyes even a bit will stay on your eye for hours buggering your eysight a bit I wear my helmet with visor down and spray a full can on every week.

Also if your sellin ur bike can of this makes it .look ten times better ,frame plastics the lot.

yes no maybe!!!!!!!!

only ride for fun now not for nescesity....winter rallies and the odd sunday jaunt if it's nice...just bought a Fiat Panda as my new all weather hack:)

They're for riding, not hiding :D

+1 on the ACF50, coated mine last Winter and used it every day commuting except for the very snowy/icy days.

Not one spec of rust.

Back
Top Bottom