tank or knee pads

CHANGELING

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone can suggest a part number or good idea for a pair of knee pads for the tank on my 1100. BMW ones are the best option for me really, I had some kind of motocross self adhesive things on last season but they looked tacky as they began to peel off almost as soon as I put them on. Ta muchly.

I've wondered about this too.
Is it a good idea to protect plastic 1100 tanks (like mine)?

Mines a steel tank but I tend to grip with my knees and wear away the paint after time. You should see the damage my ankles make on the footpeg hangers!!!Its also a bit more comfy and warm in winter......

Nippy Normans do tank knee pads ..don't know part nos., but you can check on the site. I've had knee pads on my metal tank for about 18 months now, and they've stayed stuck 'til now !

Thats all very well and good but I thought there was a BMW part from an RT or summat of that ilk that would do the trick. I looked on some random parts fiches for BMW's and couldn't find a sausage. I only want a BMW one as it would be easier to get from the dealer in my situation. Thoughts.....:blagblah

I have the baglux harness which fits both my 1100 and 1150. I fit a baglux to all my bikes saves the tank with the option of a bag. If i cant get one i fit helicopter tape to areas likely to get scuffed, fitted properly you cannot see it.

I have the baglux harness which fits both my 1100 and 1150. I fit a baglux to all my bikes saves the tank with the option of a bag. If i cant get one i fit helicopter tape to areas likely to get scuffed, fitted properly you cannot see it.

no offense to you - but I disagree.

My bike was originally a stolen recovered and had scratches down the RHS of the tank... My guess is it got bounced about in the back of a van when it was stolen.

Rather than go through the expense of having the tank resprayed I bought a Bagster cover to hide the damage... it does that job exceptionally well. BUT - the whole tank is now 'dull' (best word to describe it) the bagster cover as well as hiding the damage has done further damage to the paint. It doesn't bother me too much - I can't see it. However there is no way on earth I would ever use a Bagster cover on a pristine tank. Unless of course I couldn't live without a tank bag... but even then I would look for any alternative I could find before fitting another Cover.

nb even the best quality wax polish I can find has not improved the paint thats been dulled... Bagster covers DO have their uses - I don't deny that - but as protection for the paint. they're useless.

all depends on how fussy you are though I guess.

no offense to you - but I disagree.

My bike was originally a stolen recovered and had scratches down the RHS of the tank... My guess is it got bounced about in the back of a van when it was stolen.

Rather than go through the expense of having the tank resprayed I bought a Bagster cover to hide the damage... it does that job exceptionally well. BUT - the whole tank is now 'dull' (best word to describe it) the bagster cover as well as hiding the damage has done further damage to the paint. It doesn't bother me too much - I can't see it. However there is no way on earth I would ever use a Bagster cover on a pristine tank. Unless of course I couldn't live without a tank bag... but even then I would look for any alternative I could find before fitting another Cover.

nb even the best quality wax polish I can find has not improved the paint thats been dulled... Bagster covers DO have their uses - I don't deny that - but as protection for the paint. they're useless.

all depends on how fussy you are though I guess.

Yep,couldn't agree more,you want your paint fecking up,buy a baglux.On my 1100,there was a big gap at the front on either side that all the crap went down,and rubbed away the sheen on the plastic tank.

On my 1100,there was a big gap at the front on either side that all the crap went down,and rubbed away the sheen on the plastic tank.

yes.. there is that - plus the fact the paint is in a constant 'steam bath' water gets under the cover and then has great difficulty escaping... a bit of sun and watch the 'windows' for the 'badges' steam up... my guess is that that is very bad for the paint finish too.

if your paint is already damaged.. then grab a bagster cover until you get a respray. If the paint is pristine - then avoid them like the plague.

Baglux

Give the tank several good goings over with a good wax this seems to do the job, always a good I dea if buying a bike aith a tank cover to have alook underneath, got caught like that on the first Vincet I brought many years ago. looked nice with the cover on but undernath 'orrible, cover back on quick! BMW make rubbers for K series if any use.
Dave ( I hate christmas ) GS roll on 2010

I think I will send my ageing Granny down to the Woolworths closing sale and see if she can get me a pair of Winfield stick on shoe soles and a tub of Copydex. That should be all right. The question is cleated or non cleated.:augie

Baglux = shite finish on the tank.

Get some carpet offcuts, and stick them to your trousers with doublesided tape, then your sorted for any bike you ride.. :thumb2

Not had that problem with 11 bikes all had baglux on, the instructions do state tank must be polished prior to fitting and removed and cleaned at intervals as you are right water gets in and shite can get up inside them on occasion.

I think I will send my ageing Granny down to the Woolworths closing sale and see if she can get me a pair of Winfield stick on shoe soles and a tub of Copydex. That should be all right. The question is cleated or non cleated.:augie

Snap! I did exactly that on my 80GS. Works a treat! I went with the cleated.

Back
Top Bottom