400 or 450?

Wapping

Reaction score
400 or 450?

What does the team think?

Looking to take up a bit of green laning, something I have up until now regarded as akin to skiing with an engine. Lots of falling over and probably getting wet.

I live in the middle of Town, so would probably have to ride the infernal machine to the green pastures of Kent, Essex and Hertfordshire. Though I do have a trailer for longer jaunts. That being said, some of the locals seem to hoon along the canal walks at all times of the day and night....

Small is good as they are easier to pick up :) My view is UK lanes are best ridden at a sensible speed that way you can come back and ride them again.

Here in DK I can ride 30kms of beach and not see a single person so the extra power of the 450 is good for making progress and the 450 is handy on the fire tracks in the forest, other than that a 250/300 would probably be a better choice.

Unless of course you like the full on MX approach to life :)

250 or 400 max

I thought about the 250.

Wasn't too sure about the 2-stroke power characteristics. A bit Off-ON-off?

Also wasn't sure how much it would like 50/60 mile return trip from the centre of London, to get to where I want to go?

If you have to do the road work, then i would go for
a 400-450 as there can take it and are not any heavier
then the 250,s.
And on the trail you can just use the grunt, easy to ride on or of the road.

Ogni

400 or 450?

What does the team think?

Looking to take up a bit of green laning, something I have up until now regarded as akin to skiing with an engine. Lots of falling over and probably getting wet.

I live in the middle of Town, so would probably have to ride the infernal machine to the green pastures of Kent, Essex and Hertfordshire. Though I do have a trailer for longer jaunts. That being said, some of the locals seem to hoon along the canal walks at all times of the day and night....

I started on a 400DRZ and part exed it against a 400KTM. The EXC is a great bike been very reliable plenty fast enough on the road and becomes even more rewarding as one's skill level gradually improves. Much lighter to pick up than the Suzook!

I thought about the 250.

Wasn't too sure about the 2-stroke power characteristics. A bit Off-ON-off?

Also wasn't sure how much it would like 50/60 mile return trip from the centre of London, to get to where I want to go?

250 4 stroke

I'd be looking at a DRZ400S for starters.
KTM 400/450 are not the best trail bikes for the use by a beginner. If your planning on falling off, they don't like being restarted over and over.
The DRZs are cheap and cheerful, very easy to maintain and parts are buttons and obtainable.....
The power delivery is easy on the rider and very manageable. The road mileage won't be an issue either. Fuel consumption is good to, say about 70% of the KTMs, on a similar ride.

Timpo.

I'd be looking at a DRZ400S for starters.
KTM 400/450 are not the best trail bikes for the use by a beginner. If your planning on falling off, they don't like being restarted over and over.
The DRZs are cheap and cheerful, very easy to maintain and parts are buttons and obtainable.....
The power delivery is easy on the rider and very manageable. The road mileage won't be an issue either. Fuel consumption is good to, say about 70% of the KTMs, on a similar ride.

Timpo.

Yep, buy Jap - DRZ (no personal experience.but had a DR350) or XR250/400 (kickstart) but love'em - plus the new Serow looks very nice @ £3500-3995 (see Timpo)

Unless you're a whizz with spanners and have the time & inclination, avoid Katoom

But for a proper dualsport (60 miles road rides), with real offroad credentials - it has to be the XChallenge - best trailbike I've ridden or owned
Best VFM and quality components (best bike BMW currently make for build quality - bar none:hide)

Easy to ride ( I've done a bit though:cool:) and really lights up when you wind it on:thumb

But for a proper dualsport (60 miles road rides), with real offroad credentials - it has to be the XChallenge - best trailbike I've ridden or owned
Best VFM and quality components (best bike BMW currently make for build quality - bar none:hide)

Easy to ride ( I've done a bit though:cool:) and really lights up when you wind it on:thumb

I have ridden a 450X, briefly (20 minutes around Battersea), from BuMW Park Lane. It was certainly competent on the road.

Before I ring them up for a quote, anyone heard any news on deals BuMW might be doing, or seen one with a silly price on in a dealer's?

I've not heard of any deals, in fact I think prices have risen slightly as 'word got out' about the bike, and it became popular.
Try PMing Possu to see if he knows of any.....

Timpo.

I have ridden a 450X, briefly (20 minutes around Battersea), from BuMW Park Lane. It was certainly competent on the road.

Before I ring them up for a quote, anyone heard any news on deals BuMW might be doing, or seen one with a silly price on in a dealer's?

Err...............I was talking 650X, not 450X:augie

The 450X is full on hardcore and not recommended for noobs

650X would suit most people, weight is it only failing, but same as 690Katoom

That said a 250 is fine

Too many choices:blast

Yep, buy Jap - DRZ (no personal experience.but had a DR350) or XR250/400 (kickstart) but love'em - plus the new Serow looks very nice @ £3500-3995 (see Timpo)

Unless you're a whizz with spanners and have the time & inclination, avoid Katoom

You dont have to be a whizz with spanners to change oil and filters.
Unless you are racing them, your maintenance isnt that high.

Even racing a KTM my maint this year has been oil changes and tyres and a few broken bits.

If you have never ridden off road do not get a 450 enduro bike, it will ruin your day.

My advice would be DR 350/DRZ400/similar

or a 2 stroke enduro as long as you don't need to go too far

Richard

would say anything 250, 400 or 450 four stroke.

If going for new, there are a lot of deals out there at the moment.

Grab a copy of TBM magazine.

The Yamaha WR250F could be worth looking at

KTM 250 EXC-F

Hi Richard

I have the KTM 250cc 4 stroke as well as the 1150GSA. I would recommend it for a newby without hesitation - I only got it myself fairly recently and I have found it great off road/Green laning here in Norfolk & Suffolk so far.

However if you have the sprockets set up for off roading (eg front 13 teeth, rear 52 teeth) you'll find that it probably has a usable max speed of 50-55mph on knobbly tyres on the road. It also only has a 9 litre fuel tank, consequently I tend to trailer it to the offroad areas. It only weighs about 112kg including fuel and comes new with full road indicators & mirrors which you can easily take off and still keep it road legal.

If you buy this months Trail Bike & Enduro magazine you will see Fowlers are offering a reduced spec version for about £4,500 new but my advice is buy a low hours 2007 or 2008 secondhand version for £3,000 - £3,500 from a KTM dealer. Prior to the 2007 model it was a single overhead cam engine and not quite as good.

I would agree that the 450GS from BMW is a full race machine and likely to be too much of a handfull until you get some experience. The DRZ is really a road bike (except for the DRZ - E no longer imported here) so, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

I think its really horses for courses and as a beginner start with the 250. It also has electric start which works fine and if you are not racing it the "maintenance" consists of checking the chain, the oil and occasionally changing the filters.
If you're up these parts again Richard you are welcome to try it.

Hope this helps
Ray

Back
Top Bottom