'Don't mess with me' Member
Mod Squad
Reaction score
On the OS Explorer maps (1:25,000) there are:
  • Footpaths
  • Bridleways
  • Byways open to all traffic
  • Road used as a public path
Which can I legally ride my road-legal bike over?

:confused:

Greg

Greg Masters said:
On the OS Explorer maps (1:25,000) there are:
  • Footpaths
  • Bridleways
  • Byways open to all traffic
  • Road used as a public path
Which can I legally ride my road-legal bike over?

:confused:

Greg

When "out and about" off-roading the following applies in general:

Footpaths are marked with a yellow arrow
Bridleways are marked with a blue arrow
Byways open to all traffic (BOAT) are marked with a red arrow
Road used as public path (RUPP) are marked with a green arrow

With a motorised vehicle you have a right to use a BOAT and in most cases a RUPP, unless there is a Traffic Restriction Order (TRO) in force. The only way to find out for certain on your right of way is to visit your County Council right of way office in your locality and view the "Definitive Map". Most Ordinance Survey maps are correct but do not show if a particular trail is subject to a TRO. However, the start of each trail that is subject to a TRO will have a notice showing this, it's the round one with the motorcycle jumping over the car if you look in the Highway Code.

Best thing to do is join your local Trail Rider Fellowship (TRF) and find the best trails to ride. The TRF is the National, voluntary and non-competitive body formed in 1970 by people who enjoyed exploring 'green lanes' by motorcycle.

Here in Sussex there are very few RUPP's and virtually no BOAT's due to the fact that the County Council ROW commitee are a bunch of toadies that comply with requests from Ramblers (s'cuse me while I spit) and land owners (spit again) to close off everything. In Surrey however, it's a different story. Well organised and they even print a leaflet called "A guide to vehicle off-road driving in Surrey" well done that lot!

Greg, to start you off, go into a good bookshop, (WH Smiths etc) and buy a map by Ordnance survey in the 'Explorer' series, for your chosen area.

On the bottom of these maps there is 'customer information', look along this and you'll see a heading 'public rights of way'. These are roads marked as green crosses and are byways open to all traffic.

Once you've identified these roads, mark them with a highlighter for ease of reference. When I first did this, I was amazed at how short and sporadic these runs are.

I don't understand the 'do-gooder brigade trying to close these down, there aren't many left.

However, I hope to see you 'south of the river' one day for a bit of 'off-road fun', one day soon, or maybe I'll venture north and hook up with you!!!;)

Phil/Roy

I couldn't get organised enough to get down to Surrey today - I was too busy arranging the sale of a quality bike (see here) which is taking up too much space at Chez Nous.

But I did get into WHS and buy a couple of OS Explorer maps this morning. There's sweet FA in my local area, but a few BOATs in Hertfordshire - I simply didn't know if I could ride RUPPs as well.

So I've been out and about this afternoon and found that I need longer boots (so that the water and sh1t doesn't pour in when you stop in the deeper ruts!!) and some better tyres than the Trailwing 41/42s that it comes with OE. I'm looking at either Michelin T63s or Bridgestone E660B/E661s. Any other thoughts?

Do let me know when you're next out and about - with a bit of notice, I'd love to join you.

Greg

Greg,

Any Saturday or Sunday I can be pursuaded to ride the Surrey byways, along with a few chums of mine. Can't do this comng weekend though as I'm of to Belgium with Jon and Jim-650 for a jolly.

PM me when you next fancy a decent ride. Usually we start and finnish near Guildford, and the ride takes about 2 or 3 hours depending on how fast we ride:D

BTW I use the Bridgestone tyre you mentioned, top bit of kit but gets wrecked on tarmac though if you use too much right hand!

Roy.

I'm new to this off road stuff.

I live in Sutton and would like a nice gentle off road route.
Could you give me some ideas of where to ride in the surrey area.
Thanks...........Jon

Re: I'm new to this off road stuff.

Jon451 said:
I live in Sutton and would like a nice gentle off road route.
Could you give me some ideas of where to ride in the surrey area.
Thanks...........Jon

When Greg wants to go for a ride, perhaps we should organise a group off-road ride out. However, unless you are very experienced I would not contemplate using a GS big trail bike during the "muddy season"

Keep an eye on this thread for further news.

Me and my Serow

Me and my Serow might well be up for a jaunt in the surrey lanes if I can get my headlight, bars and ribs sorted out following a bit of intimacy with a tree on my last trip out!

I'll keep my eyes on this thread to see if anything develops.

Off-road in Surrey

Err OK then, quite a few of you have responded by PM, so it would seem that a ride out is called for.

How about Saturday 28th February 10:00 start - meet at a car park called Newlands Corner which is on the top of the North Downs on the Dorking road out of Guildford. This is of course subject to the weather as I don't enjoy riding off-road if it's p!!sing down with rain.

Now, this is NOT repeat NOT a ride-out for those of you on any GS bigger than a 650GS Dakar, and you will need PROPER off-road, enduro road legal tyres.

So all those with smaller trail bikes will find that it will be a load of fun. Be prepared for about 2 or 3 hours of riding.

Roy.

Re: Off-road in Surrey

Blue Sweeper said:
How about Saturday 28th February 10:00 start - meet at a car park called Newlands Corner which is on the top of the North Downs on the Dorking road out of Guildford.

I'll be there!

Greg

Can't make that weekend as I'm on the p*ss in Prague. Hopefully if enough of us turn up, this might become a regular event, so will try again in the future.

Greg, I've got an old 4X4 mag which has a 50 mile green lane route starting from Welham Green... You should also get in contact with George Cherry of the Big Trail Bike Club he lives in Stanstead Abbots.... Than man knows them all

It doesn't matter what sort of bike you're on - BMW, KTM, Royal Oilfield etc - so long as you're a paid up Tosser!

:D

Greg

As Greg said, any make of bike is welcome. However, if you turn up on a giant trail bike shod with road tyres, I'll tell you to fek off.

I'll be on my KTM, hero's can turn up on a F650GS Dakar.

:D :D :D :D

lads - be careful

If Roy takes you on the same Surrey route the Suzuki off road boys took me on last summer.. its pretty hard going in places over all the flint and wet chalk (read 2ft thick slurry..)

I wimped out on the 10ft jumps... oh and the "stream" was about 3ft deep... so I hope you can all swim

Apart from that it was 4 hrs of great fun, and the bike took hours to clean afterwards...

Enjoy, I'll be out there asap.

Andy... you can borrow my DRZ :D

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom