Front spindle won't budge!

100wattwarlock

I need to get my front wheel off, I've checked the forums for any advice, and have realised that a heavy weight on the rear end is a good thing to have, but so far I have loosened the spindle bolt and removed it, and thought that I had to remove the torx screws on the forks, one came out, the other snapped in the fork! (great) looks like I'm going to have to drill it out tomorrow or sometime.
Anyway the spindle won't budge, I just can't get it to move... any ideas?

Cheers from New Zealand

You really need to remove the snapped off pinch bolts in the bottom of the fork before you can remove the spindle. It's clamping it tight, no amount of force shift the spindle without first damaging the fork bottoms where thespindle pushes through.

If you are sure that the clamping effect of the 4 Allen bolts has been released, then you should be able to drive the spindle out................

But - as you drive it out, the tendency is for one or both of the forks to move also - which makes them tighten on the spindle. So - it is good practice to support both of them (an extra pair of hands with a some wood/lump hammer) to stop them from moving as you drive the spindle out.

Al :thumb2

I need to get my front wheel off, I've checked the forums for any advice, and have realised that a heavy weight on the rear end is a good thing to have, but so far I have loosened the spindle bolt and removed it, and thought that I had to remove the torx screws on the forks, one came out, the other snapped in the fork! (great) looks like I'm going to have to drill it out tomorrow or sometime.
Anyway the spindle won't budge, I just can't get it to move... any ideas?

Cheers from New Zealand

Refit the short spindle bolt "loosely" which will keep all in line/level.... then try rocking the axle left and right.... put a block under thr frt wheel to stop the wheel dropping , remove the spindle bolt when it (axle) starts to move keep it all level... if one of the bolts has snapped off with some luck its just the thread end which should'nt be clamping that part anyway... either way it should still come free.:thumb2
But if not carefully cut through the offending bolt with a hacksaw.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom