True Grit

moose

Well that’s it! My first True Grit well and truly finished. It was an early start 5.30a.m; no breakfast (too excited) will eat later. Sign on, licence acquired, then gulp scrutineering, breezed through. A quick riders meeting then we’re on the line, shit my hearts pounding. Bike starts straight away, not like the Husaberg rider to my right! Warm up over, the front line is away, then the next, I hope my bike starts, yup we’re away. 1st lap, overtake a few riders then fall off, this is how it goes the first lap. Second lap only fall off 3 times. The wooded section is great, trying to keep up with faster riders, while keeping your head down and branches out your helmet. Lap 3, getting better, my arms are no longer pumped up like Popeye’s! Only fall off once. Pit for food and drink. A quarter past one, do I go out again? Got to! Best lap yet, no “off’s” but sliding out of control towards a tree coming out of the woods I’m thinking my race is over. Luckily the bike grips at the last moment and I’m back in control (sort of). Four laps no breakage’s only blister on my left hand and a backside I cannot sit on, not bad for a 41-year-old on his first event.

Back
Top Bottom