Cat D F800GS, Should I buy it?

davenwalker

Hi All

Very tempted by a Cat D 800 GS I saw on fleabay a week or two ago, the auction ended without hitting reserve. I decided to call the guy, and he said I could have it for £4500. Got minor damage to left hand side, cosmetic, couple dings in exhaust, and cracked light. Got 6000 miles on it.

The cosmetics don't concern me, and I'll probably want to replace the std pipe anyway :) I came to the UK from South Africa to make the foreign currency to fund my dream trip riding home from here in 2010. My plan is to buy the bike, and slowly do it up over time, until the bike, my bank balance, and me are ready for the trip.

So...should I buy it???

Concerns are regarding the Cat D aspect are:

-Problems insuring the bike?
-BMW warranty still applicable?
-Would there be potential problems with paperwork when i take the bike out the country and through all the other countries, specifically due to it being a Cat D??

Like i said I'm new to the country, so not sure how the red tape will be affected??

So you would you go for it??????????

Hi All

Very tempted by a Cat D 800 GS I saw on fleabay a week or two ago, the auction ended without hitting reserve. I decided to call the guy, and he said I could have it for £4500. Got minor damage to left hand side, cosmetic, couple dings in exhaust, and cracked light. Got 6000 miles on it.

The cosmetics don't concern me, and I'll probably want to replace the std pipe anyway :) I came to the UK from South Africa to make the foreign currency to fund my dream trip riding home from here in 2010. My plan is to buy the bike, and slowly do it up over time, until the bike, my bank balance, and me are ready for the trip.

So...should I buy it??? YES!!

Concerns are regarding the Cat D aspect are:

-Problems insuring the bike? NO
-BMW warranty still applicable?NO
-Would there be potential problems with paperwork when i take the bike out the country and through all the other countries, specifically due to it being a Cat D?? NO

Like i said I'm new to the country, so not sure how the red tape will be affected??

So you would you go for it??????????

If I was in the market for an 800 GS, I'd be tempted.
cheers,
P:aidan

Ive been watching that f800gs myself on ebay to see how much it went for. I was a bit miffed by the explanation of 'Its just a few scratches on the right side' !!!
Well the right side was defn scratched .. as was the left though (thats confirmed because the exhaust is on the left and is defn dented!!). Also noticed from the rear picture of the bike that the number plate didnt align with the tyre (ie there was more space to one side of the number plate than the other). This could just be a bend in the rear number plate holder BUT could be a bend in the rear subframe....
All of the above leant me towards a 'Walk away and leave it'. Its not worth the risk IMHO.

Steve

EBay GS

I was watchin that Bike myself.
The Bike is not worth £4500.
I value the Bike at £3500 , because once a Cat D , always a Cat D.
When you go to Re-sell anywhere the Finance companies can trace the
Chasis numbers . A Straight one , would sell at £6000 ish - £7 Max, so
the differeance of £1500 doesnt justify the Cat D status

i'm with Civil and the others on this one. With the market as it is and even though the F8GS isn't in the book yet, it's probably sitting at around £5300 trade price if it has 6k miles and is in good good condition. This bloke would be more than happy to help you out and take £4500 I'm sure!! My advice would be to walk. I'd rather have a new Yamaha Tenere for just a little more, but if you can save another 1000, you'll probably pick up a good clean 800 before long on here. Happy hunting fella...and welcome to the UK! :thumb2

I haven't seen the pictures put the rear plate is held on by plastic. Now I know of a demonstrator that was taken out from Williams a few weeks before I bought mine and someone pulled a wheelie on it and lost it. The rear plate got ripped clean off along with some rear paneling. There is not much scope for the plastic to bend so the twisted rear sub frame sounds more likely. Like Si says... look at the new Tenere Thumper or hang on a bit longer for a used F800 on here. :thumb2

Thanks for the sanity guys, I will be keeping my eye out for the right bike.

Your suggestions regarding the Tenere are very valid, although I also want to do some touring around Europe with the Mrs before I head South through Africa, so a single might not have the nuts to pull that off without discomfort... If they threw in a 90hp twin into the Tenere then they might be on to something...

I guess I'll just keep my eye out for an 800 GS, although I will continue to be very cost sensitive. I've ridden 1150's & 1200's (GS..obviously) back home in SA, they are awesome, but I don't think I'm big enough to handle them in rough ground...day after day...for 3/4 months...

Quick question, maybe not the correct part of the forum, but what kind of cash flow is generally needed for a 3/4 month trip down through africa. I know it can vary due to camping vs hotels, but with 75% camping and not being extravagant, what do you guys reckon I'm in for?? (this might mean I can afford the 800 a little sooner if my estimates are over the top...).

Thanks for all your help guys!!!

You'd be better off with a Honda Transalp or GS650 single if cash-flow is a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom