Bank of Ireland....

Padge

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
When I was born my Grandmother put £100 punts into a bank of Ireland account for me.. 25 years later it was worth about £130

Now that Bank of Ireland shares are going out of fashion quicker than the queens sterling (€0.65c at the last check) I'm thinking of buying some for the newborn nipper as a very long term investment.. 20 Years long..

I'm only looking at buying about a grand's worth, so if it goes completely down the toilet, i'm not at a vast loss.

So...Can anyone in the know help me with a few question:
Where is the best place to buy a €1000 worth of shares ( I guess best being cheapest and safest)
Under what circumstances would I loose all?:nenau

I'll get back to you in 20 years and let you know if the nipper really loves me or thinks I'm a complete twat for wasting her money.:aidan

When I was born my Grandmother put £100 punts into a bank of Ireland account for me.. 25 years later it was worth about £130

Now that Bank of Ireland shares are going out of fashion quicker than the queens sterling (€0.65c at the last check) I'm thinking of buying some for the newborn nipper as a very long term investment.. 20 Years long..

I'm only looking at buying about a grand's worth, so if it goes completely down the toilet, i'm not at a vast loss.

Where is the best place to buy a €1000 worth of shares ( I guess best being cheapest and safest)

I'll get back to you in 20 years and let you know if the nipper really loves me or thinks I'm a complete twat for wasting her money.:aidan

Drop into your local bank (AIB or BOI).
they can do the trade for you, with a small fee.

Shares really in the toilet at the mo !:blast

To be honest Padge, speaking for myself, I'd put that €1000 into prize bonds for your nipper :rob.
Prize Bonds are a flexible, secure, state guaranteed investment. The top prize in the monthly Jackpot prize draw is €1,000,000 or €500,000. A €1,000,000 Jackpot prize will be awarded in three draws throughout the year, with the fourth awarded in the draw held on the last Friday before Christmas. A top prize of €500,000 is awarded in the other eight monthly Jackpot prize draws. A top weekly Star prize of €20,000 is awarded each week, other than when the monthly jackpot prize is awarded. With a minimum purchase of €25, that's a huge return on your investment.

Draws are held every Friday with over 2,500 prizes ranging between €75 and €20,000. Every eligible €6.25 Prize Bond is automatically entered in the weekly draw no matter how old

The more Prize Bonds you hold the greater the possibility of you getting a substantial return on your money.

An you never lose your initial €1000. A safer gamble than bank shares :blast and you never know your nipper could win :clap. Anyway just my 2 cents worth :blagblah I might be biased but then again I've dropped €17,500 on fecking bank shares :mad: which were always regarded as safe as house's neither of which are anymore:blast

JD

sharewatch.com
will do the deal for a fee of 50 euro
wnless the bank goes broke you would be very unlucky to lose the whole lot.
all the experts say buy now but expect no return for at least 5 years so might suit your plan but who knows at the moment

What ever you do Don't invest in a KeepsTakingMoney

If the purpose wasn't so important I'd go with putting it into shares, but the way things are going I'd have
to agree with Jaws, at least till you think things have bottomed out.:rob

As it is, wait another while and ya might be able to buy her a house. :rolleyes:

Buy ! I'm 25 years in the investment business and this is the third crash I've worked through. After every crash is a rise. The government wont let BOI go to the wall. €1000 is small enough not to lose sleep over. Buy them.... put the cert away and close your eyes. :D :D :D They are trading way below "book" value at the moment so its a good time to consider buying.

Buy ! I'm 25 years in the investment business and this is the third crash I've worked through. After every crash is a rise. The government wont let BOI go to the wall. €1000 is small enough not to lose sleep over. Buy them.... put the cert away and close your eyes. :D :D :D They are trading way below "book" value at the moment so its a good time to consider buying.

There has never been a precedent to what is happenin now .
I think Thursdays episode ,shows the volatility of the Banks at the Minute,
not to mention the Shreholders ""Total Loss "" as far as the Values of their
shares go.
The Absolute Greed , has meet its match in the World wide Dowfall of
the Banking institutions.
Mr Scoot is Right , at the Minute , Eur1000.00 is not a
lot to loose , but its looking increasingly likely that is indeed what will
happen.
You as a Mr ordinary Share holder , will have absolutely no comeback if the
state has to intervene.
So Much For our Peoples Republic.
Our Govt leaves a lot to be Desired , when it comes to its credentials
as a Republican Govt.
The Fianna Fail Republican Party is NO Friend of the People , but is a
big Pal to the Likes of Fitzpatrick.
Walking away with Millions , not to mention the Ceo of Fas, his Pension
,golden handshake , and Bonuses ,at this time are beyond belife.
We have a Crowd of Text Book Plonkers , that lift a
wage on a friday running our country. Isnt it time they called in the
professionals of the Private sector to try to avert even more Dismay.

There has never been a precedent to what is happenin now .
I think Thursdays episode ,shows the volatility of the Banks at the Minute,
not to mention the Shreholders ""Total Loss "" as far as the Values of their
shares go.
The Absolute Greed , has meet its match in the World wide Dowfall of
the Banking institutions.
Mr Scoot is Right , at the Minute , Eur1000.00 is not a
lot to loose , but its looking increasingly likely that is indeed what will
happen.
You as a Mr ordinary Share holder , will have absolutely no comeback if the
state has to intervene.
as a Republican Govt.

well said that man:thumb2

prize bonds could win, but...

The depreciation, i.e. inflation, effects on a grand over 20 years is massive, and whilst a win would be nice, handing over that 1000 in 20 years might only pay for a take away meal!

If you get a chance, invest in gold. it tracks growth and tends to ride out the bust and boom phases of the economy.

Patrick.

as a Republican Govt.

wasn't Fitzpatrick a "professional of the private sector"?

Must pull my finger out and act...I'm planning to keep these for 20 years, so my main concern is the bank going to way of Anglo Irish....
Share price hit 0.33c just before lunchtime...:eek:

Must pull my finger out and act...I'm planning to keep these for 20 years, so my main concern is the bank going to way of Anglo Irish....

I suppose the bottom line is "you pays your money and takes your chances" :comfort. Shares are like poker you can "win big" and you can "lose big" depending on your stake. €1000 is not a fortune these days anyhow's and over 20 years it should appreciate regardless, if it does not we are all fcuked anyway :augie

wasn't Fitzpatrick a "professional of the private sector"?

He is . But was doin what seemed OK at that time.
He could never have forseen what was down the Road , I firmly believe
he will pay a heavy price for his actions.
When i wrote the Comment , i ment , without saying it ,
just thinking , of a Man along the Calibre of Mick Sodden . There is no
other with the Banking experiance he has , Not to Mention the Respect.

Things will Never be the same again.
If the situation continues , the state will have to intervene in all the
Irish banks ,your share Value at best will be heavily diluted .
At worst absorbed by the State.
But if its a Gamble , your After there has never been a better time.

Back
Top Bottom