BMW Zumo 550 or Garmin Zumo 550?

gsbiker

Reaction score
BMW told me their Zumo 550 comes with extra points of interest such as BMW garages etc but their Zumo is £50-£100 more expensive - around £600. Is it really worth the extra cash or just go buy a garmin Zumo? Pro's and Cons please?

Can get the dealers details on this site.

If you have BM insurance it'll be covered.

You might be able to use Garmin Zumo updates / mapping updates, but if you do it might cause problems.

I wouldn't pay the extra.

Garmin one comes with the car mount kit as standard. BMW is less for more money as usual!

But some people like that :D

Or don't buy a Zumo at all.
They seem to be over-priced shite.

Think I'll stick with my £160 2610 until something else comes out that WORKS !!

I've had no problems with mine whatsover :augie

Or get a map, thats the cheapest option. You could mark all the BMW Stealers locations on it with a Biro.

It's all up to the individual though.

If you need to ask then your already a mug and will do whatever the herd tell you. Research it yourself and make the desision, the info's out there.

BMW branded gps owners are mugs with no idea of what they're buying by the way :thumb2

Or get a map, thats the cheapest option. You could mark all the BMW Stealers locations on it with a Biro.

It's all up to the individual though.

If you need to ask then your already a mug and will do whatever the herd tell you. Research it yourself and make the desision, the info's out there.

BMW branded gps owners are mugs with no idea of what they're buying by the way :thumb2

I thought asking on here was research? Based on what people are saying buying the BMW version only benefits with a 2 year warranty but you can always buy an extended warranty from halfords right? POI can be added so I don't see why spending an extra £100 is worth it unless BMW discount them?

Or don't buy a Zumo at all.
They seem to be over-priced shite.

Think I'll stick with my £160 2610 until something else comes out that WORKS !!

There's only the TomTom R2 and the Zumo 550 for bikes right? I'm a TomTom man myself but I get the impression by what I've read that the Zumo is better for bikers than the TomTom. The BMW Navman (although it suites the bike better) is too expensive and for what? O and your price is wrong the 2610 are around £260 not £160.

After looking further, what's the difference between Garmin Street Pilot 2820 and BMW's own Navigator 3 apart from the extra expense and the lack of an MP3 player?

Yes but you get the 4 extra buttons on the left of the Nav III ;)

Only when it's in the BM cradle. I went from 2610 to Nav 2 to Nav 3 and reckon that the cradle was worthwhile on the 2610 / Nav 2. Nav 3 zoom in / out much better for bike use, so wanting the functionality given by the cradle was much reduced on the Nav 3.

Mmm not sure I followed that? So you can buy just the cradle from BMW and then go and buy the 2810 from Garmin? Didn't understand this sentence...

"Nav 3 zoom in / out much better for bike use, so wanting the functionality given by the cradle was much reduced on the Nav 3".

Zummo 550

ph4824

I have the Zumo 550 and have had no problems at all. I use it both on the GS and the car (comes with car mount as well as the bike mount). I had the power lead connected when I bought the bike. It works great - avoid the middle man / company - it means cost and faf. Good luck. Regards - Hugo

Mmm not sure I followed that? So you can buy just the cradle from BMW and then go and buy the 2810 from Garmin? Didn't understand this sentence...

"Nav 3 zoom in / out much better for bike use, so wanting the functionality given by the cradle was much reduced on the Nav 3".

Nav 3 = 2820 has easy to use on screen zoom in / out.

Nav 2 = 2610 faff to zoom in / out using screen controls.

Pointless buying a Garmin badged GPS and sticking it in a BM cradle, unless the cradle is very cheap as the 4 extra buttons won't do jack sh1t.

I'll 2nd that.....

I have the Zumo 550 and have had no problems at all. I use it both on the GS and the car (comes with car mount as well as the bike mount). I had the power lead connected when I bought the bike. It works great - avoid the middle man / company - it means cost and faf. Good luck. Regards - Hugo

Same here. Have happily used Tom-Toms in cars, but it had to be a Zumo 550 for the bike. Thank you Halfords. Probably even cheaper now. :thumb2

If it were my money, I'd shop around for a decent deal on the 'Garmin' Zumo 550 online, then spend the considerable savings on buying a good solid shock-isolating cradle for the GS (eg Touratech). A 1200 boxer twin at idle/low RPM can really shake a GPS unit about.

Uploading the BMW dealer list to the unit is easy (and free).

I'd even have a go at putting my own custom wallpaper on the GPS unit, like an attractive young lady wearing very little, perhaps.:D

Nav 3 = 2820 has easy to use on screen zoom in / out.

Nav 2 = 2610 faff to zoom in / out using screen controls.

Pointless buying a Garmin badged GPS and sticking it in a BM cradle, unless the cradle is very cheap as the 4 extra buttons won't do jack sh1t.

Thanks for clarifying, but what are you saying about Garmin vs BMW. Are you saying Garmin is a better buy compared to buying a BMW badge Garmin?

Back
Top Bottom