Fresh rubber for the XChallenge

JohnnyBoxer

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Tyre dealer just recommended a Dunlop D908RR Rally Raid (I wish:rolleyes:) for the Rear and did it for 20% less (£50 fitted) than a rear MT21, so I bought it .................it's Xmas:D

2000 miles of 50/50 use and the Rear MT21 was toast

Going to run the D908RR on the rear with existing front MT21, anybody used this combination?

AdvRider chaps rate them in the US and Oz, so I thought I'd check it out......it has a weird holy cross type knobbly (special Xmas edition, no doubt:augie) - great for tracks and not so bad in mud, they reckon

Hope it's as good as the outgoing MT21:D

I'll be out on Sunday on the Xmas on the Plain ride, so we''ll see

IMG_1539.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Lots use them on the big KTM's ment to be good :thumb2

Wish they made them in 17" :blast

see you sunday

Louis

Just out of interest, I've also seen the tyre thing on ADV rider, why do they use a Dunlop D908rr rear and Pirelli MT21 front, why not a Dunlop D908rr on the front, any ideas? If the rear dunlop is cheaper, is the front dunlop also cheaper than the Pirelli?

Just out of interest, I've also seen the tyre thing on ADV rider, why do they use a Dunlop D908rr rear and Pirelli MT21 front, why not a Dunlop D908rr on the front, any ideas? If the rear dunlop is cheaper, is the front dunlop also cheaper than the Pirelli?

Front MT21 is a great tyre

Plenty of grip and predictable

Who cares about mixing tyres................it's not a crime

Front MT21 is a great tyre

Plenty of grip and predictable

Who cares about mixing tyres................it's not a crime
Thanx for that, I fink!!
Didn't even consider that it may be a criminal activity to mix and match tyres!
Right then, for my next question..............:D
Have a good xmas and enjoy the ride on the plains.

There was a set of Rally raids on the 640 when I bought it. Not bad in the dry, didn't rate them at all in the wet. Then again, I don't rate MT21's either. :nenau
Michelin Desert front for me, not found a rear that I like yet since they stopped making the Michelin Baja, which was a very good tyre if you ignore it's wear rate. :eek:
Incidentally, I don't expect to get 1000 miles before I change a rear knobbly on anything bigger than a 250. :augie
Mark

Not 100% but I'm fairly sure about this...the 908 has been replaced by the 909. when I was replacing my saharas last month a mate of mine in the right circles had a 909 front which he gave me. unfortunately at the time he had no rears so I ended up with a pair of 21's.

Anyway, dependant on what your intended use is, he recommended the 21's to me saying that I'd get better return from them in the wear stakes. I mostly use the Xchal for laning which obviously includes a fair bit of road work. prob anywhere between 85/15 - 50/50 road/offroad dependant on the route.

Hey up johnny ,where did ya get D908rr from up north.

Woosters in Leeds, my friend..............

140.80-18 for £50 fitted, to a loose wheel - Bargain...............a MT21 120.80-18 was £65

Health to you, Basil:beer:

Johnnyboxer, how did that new back tyre of yours do on the plain on Sunday? Looks like you might have been better off with a ice speedway rear with spikes.

Johnnyboxer, how did that new back tyre of yours do on the plain on Sunday? Looks like you might have been better off with a ice speedway rear with spikes.

Judgement reserved

Ice spikes would have been better

The tyre was cold & hard and the ground was even harder, so no traction was afforded

I'll try it some more

Just put 150 miles on my raer Dunlop RR's - they slide around a little on wet grass/mud

I'm quite happy with them, they seem very hard.

They threw plent of crap and rocks ove Super Enduro all day

Just put 150 miles on my raer Dunlop RR's - they slide around a little on wet grass/mud

I'm quite happy with them, they seem very hard.

They threw plent of crap and rocks ove Super Enduro all day

Rocks, they were boulders !!!!

Seriously that tyre was picking them up and hurling them at my head !

not found a rear that I like yet since they stopped making the Michelin Baja

WHAT, when did that happend?

That's my all time favorit tire on the thumpers :(

Last year it was close to impossible to get a 908rr in Scandinavia, so if they stopped making the Baja, i 'll have to start all over again to find a rear tire that suits me :blast

That what was my tyre supplier said. :nenau
Mentioned it to others and they said as much. Will probably try an AC10 on the back next, see how long it lasts, and how it compares for grip.. :augie
Mark

Back
Top Bottom